A Bush C150? With Leading Edge Slats?

Old May 26th 04, 02:41 AM

Corky and Carl,

Yes, I'm aware of the T-craft and the cub. Like I said, for now, I'm
concentrated on and exploring the c150 only. With the discussion so
far, I already learned something. Although, I still could not find
someone who really knows about slats. The problem with VG is that, it
does not increase the Cl at the same angle. It might increase a little
bit of the critical AOA though.

Jizhong
On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:24:34 -0500, Carl Ellis
wrote:

If you want to go cheap and experimental, get yourself a cheap basket case
Taylocraft BC-12, do a rebuild converting it to a Model 19, then put in a
C-90 or O-200. Give that engine high compression pistons, do some porting,
polishing and exhaust work and you're good to go. Some vortex generators
will lower your stall speed about 8mph to about 35mph. You'll have an
airplane that has around a 600 lbs load capacity and climbs like scalded
ape.

Put in patrol doors, a skylight, and no headliner and you'll take care of
some of the space issue.

Of course you'll need to deal with the certificated to experimental issue
but if you start early enough with the FSDO and work in enough rebuild
and/or modifications you should qualify for the 51% requirement.

It's not the project you described but it will give you the performance you
want in the same size airplane.

- Carl -

Old May 26th 04, 04:26 PM
Richard Lamb

"Two months in the lab will save you three days in the library -
every time".

Check back issues of Sport Aviation.
They published an article about just such a project.

I don't remember all the details off hand, but seems like it was
done by a preacher fellow up north (north of Dallas?)

Extensive use of turbulators on the wing and tail and a fancy
"flow thru" wing tip. Maybe did some changes to the flaps and
ailerons too?

Asking about something on the internet is NOT research...

But sometimes it can help.

Richard Lamb
Old May 27th 04, 07:26 AM

Richard,

You're right that you can not do research by searching the web.

Could you be a little bit more specific about the Sport Aviation
article? Year and page?

Jizhong