Airline seats anywhere?

Old October 13th 03, 12:27 PM
James Wren

Default Airline seats anywhere?

Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of
a second hand airline passenger seat?. I'm re-branding
Air India as part of my Design Degree, and a seat
would be a nice touch!. Not having much luck scouring
the net, hopefully until now!
Cheers
James Wren (England)

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old October 13th 03, 02:12 PM
EDR

In article , James Wren
wrote:

Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of
a second hand airline passenger seat?. I'm re-branding
Air India as part of my Design Degree, and a seat
would be a nice touch!. Not having much luck scouring
the net, hopefully until now!
Cheers
James Wren (England)

Contact a freight outfit that flies converted airliners.
They will often sell the seats they remove from the aircraft.
I know of one outfit, here in the states, that sells the three-abreast
coach seats and the two-abreast first-class seats.
Old October 13th 03, 07:23 PM
Don Tuite

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:06:03 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote:

James Wren wrote:

Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of
a second hand airline passenger seat?. I'm re-branding
Air India as part of my Design Degree, and a seat
would be a nice touch!. Not having much luck scouring
the net, hopefully until now!
Cheers
James Wren (England)

Lufthansa sells seats. Contact them (they advertise it from time to time
in magazines) via their website.

One used to be able to find them at the Boeing surplus store in Kent,
Washington.

Don

Old October 13th 03, 07:51 PM
Jordan

On 13 Oct 2003 11:27:36 GMT, James Wren wrote:

Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of
a second hand airline passenger seat?. I'm re-branding
Air India as part of my Design Degree, and a seat
would be a nice touch!. Not having much luck scouring
the net, hopefully until now!
Cheers
James Wren (England)

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Like other suggestions, call around to places that do conversions and
such. When I was looking I found several places online but they were
all in the US, not the UK. I ended up buying one from Kelowna
Flightcraft (local they do 727, convair and 37 work and conversions).
They weren't cheap though. I got a 2 wide executive class leather with
the inflatable rafts and flight mags and safety cards etc etc and they
wanted $350 USD.

Also, you might try eBay, I saw a few examples on there (again not in
the UK)
Old October 13th 03, 09:59 PM
John Ross

In one of the "Ask the Pilot" columns on Salon.com, Patrick Smith mentions
"Plane World" near the Miami airport as selling seats from an Eastern L-
1011 for $550.

The full story is
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...33/index1.html

although you may need to be a subscriber to Salon to see it.

-John Ross
Old October 14th 03, 10:27 AM
Roger Hamlett

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
James Wren wrote:

Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of
a second hand airline passenger seat?. I'm re-branding
Air India as part of my Design Degree, and a seat
would be a nice touch!. Not having much luck scouring
the net, hopefully until now!
Cheers
James Wren (England)

Lufthansa sells seats. Contact them (they advertise it from time to time
in magazines) via their website.

#m
--
http://www.crunchweb.net/87billion/

As a seperate comment, James does not say whereabouts in the UK he is. There
is a 'scrapyard', in Stock ESSEX, which dismantles a lot of military, and a
few civilian planes. Generally the seats are removed before they get to this
yard, but on occassion, I have seen planes there with seats (a couple of
months ago, they has an old 'Viscount', being stripped). I have also seen
aircraft seats at the Beltring military fair. Both these places, would
require personal visits.
There are several aircraft interior refurbishment companies, who might well
be able to supply a seat. 'Airbase Services', in Crewe, & Ipeco (Southend),
are examples.
Seats also sometimes come up on Ebay.
He may well be suprised at how much they go for, if the condition is good.

Best Wishes

Old October 14th 03, 04:12 PM
Paul Sengupta

Rafts? Or just life jackets? $350?

Paul

Old October 14th 03, 05:43 PM
Jordan

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:12:07 +0100, "Paul Sengupta"
wrote:

Rafts? Or just life jackets? $350?

Paul

"Jordan" wrote in message
.. .
They weren't cheap though. I got a 2 wide executive class leather with
the inflatable rafts and flight mags and safety cards etc etc and they
wanted $350 USD.

Jackets and rafts, they had a huge warehouse of 727 parts and a whole
aisle of seats. The guy was really good about it. Yes $350 we ended up
getting them for $500 cdn including tax back when the dollar was alot
weaker.

The let us have all the rafts and jackets we wanted because they had
expired, pretty useless after that. They more than likely still work
but you can't put them in a plane.
Old October 14th 03, 08:38 PM
Jordan

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:45:23 +0100, "Paul Sengupta"
wrote:

"Jordan" wrote in message
.. .
The let us have all the rafts and jackets we wanted because they had
expired, pretty useless after that. They more than likely still work
but you can't put them in a plane.

Mmm...suppose a time expired one's better than none at all? Do these
things have to be in date and approved in the UK for a private flight?

Paul

No idea. I only know the Canadian rules and I imagine the law's idea
of a raft is one that is certified fully functional. It would really
suck to go in the drink and not have it inflate for you.
Old October 14th 03, 08:51 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jordan" wrote in message
No idea. I only know the Canadian rules and I imagine the law's idea
of a raft is one that is certified fully functional. It would really
suck to go in the drink and not have it inflate for you.

It couldn't inflate less than not having carried one at all! I've
got some light jackets but never bothered with a raft. Flying
Cessnas and Pipers before, I considered that I'd never
actually get it out of the plane if I had to ditch. Now
however I've got a sliding canopy aeroplane, and I'd have a
better chance of getting it out. Still hadn't thought of buying
one (haven't made any over-water flights yet!) but if I can
get one for not much money then I might as well carry it on
the off chance I fly over water...

Paul