A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tow plane wanted



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old June 17th 20, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 390
Default Tow plane wanted

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 3:18:30 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 3:49:50 AM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 8:17:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi bob, hours since major overhaul? Total? and Price?

Thanks

Cliff


The Pawnee was totally rebuilt and had 17 hours on it since rebuild. The engine has about 900 hours since total rebuild. I will confirm all the hours and post the actual info tomorrow. The plane was not used to spray with after rebuild, I had it converted to tow. Some here have seen this plane and can confirm the condition. All AD's have been complied with, no hopper, I towed yesterday with it also just completed annual. Asking 51 K, will sell with or without Tost hook. Bob


Hi Bob - tried twice to contact you via P.M. but it doesn't seem to go through - hence the post.
Our club is in the process of moving the tow line release from the Pawnee's floor board to the panel area. Could you make some info available as to how that conversion was done on your Yellow Gorilla?
Thanks,

Uli
'AS'


Uli, I have done this conversion on three Pawnee's that I have owned, and for the life of me I am still at a loss of words as to why others have not done this. The handle is the hopper dump handle standard on all Pawnee's it extends from below the floor and rises up to a position about three feet above the floor. I is a double connected bar that has a bushing and it is fitted in two places.
The lower end has a slight bend facing forward for the hopper release to attach. Since we have no need for the hopper I removed it and incorporated that handle as the tow release handle. I cut and welded the lower end to face backward to connect to the tow release cable. This handle is extremely strong and the leverage is unequaled compared to other releases. The most important aspect is the location, just forward of the throttle and mixture handle within easy reach in the event of an emergency. IMHO the Schweizer hook is not the big problem, but reaching the release while positioned on the floor is the main culprit. Just strap yourself into a Pawnee and try to reach the floor panel, not an easy thing to do. Now put yourself into an emergency situation and it becomes even more difficult!
I will be glad to snap a few pics and send them to your email address. Bob
Ads
  #12  
Old June 18th 20, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Alders
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Tow plane wanted

UH, I have looked that bird over pretty good. Its prime for VSC. Email me at and Ill give you some other intel about it. I can fly it up to you as well if needed.
  #13  
Old June 18th 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 288
Default Tow plane wanted

Two of the Pawnee’s I fly have this exact tow release handle. The other one has a Schweizer release handle in front the throttle. I actually like the handle in front of the throttle better. Both are acceptable to me.
  #14  
Old June 18th 20, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 570
Default Tow plane wanted

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 6:46:12 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 3:18:30 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 3:49:50 AM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 8:17:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi bob, hours since major overhaul? Total? and Price?

Thanks

Cliff

The Pawnee was totally rebuilt and had 17 hours on it since rebuild. The engine has about 900 hours since total rebuild. I will confirm all the hours and post the actual info tomorrow. The plane was not used to spray with after rebuild, I had it converted to tow. Some here have seen this plane and can confirm the condition. All AD's have been complied with, no hopper, I towed yesterday with it also just completed annual. Asking 51 K, will sell with or without Tost hook. Bob


Hi Bob - tried twice to contact you via P.M. but it doesn't seem to go through - hence the post.
Our club is in the process of moving the tow line release from the Pawnee's floor board to the panel area. Could you make some info available as to how that conversion was done on your Yellow Gorilla?
Thanks,

Uli
'AS'


Uli, I have done this conversion on three Pawnee's that I have owned, and for the life of me I am still at a loss of words as to why others have not done this. The handle is the hopper dump handle standard on all Pawnee's it extends from below the floor and rises up to a position about three feet above the floor. I is a double connected bar that has a bushing and it is fitted in two places.
The lower end has a slight bend facing forward for the hopper release to attach. Since we have no need for the hopper I removed it and incorporated that handle as the tow release handle. I cut and welded the lower end to face backward to connect to the tow release cable. This handle is extremely strong and the leverage is unequaled compared to other releases. The most important aspect is the location, just forward of the throttle and mixture handle within easy reach in the event of an emergency. IMHO the Schweizer hook is not the big problem, but reaching the release while positioned on the floor is the main culprit. Just strap yourself into a Pawnee and try to reach the floor panel, not an easy thing to do. Now put yourself into an emergency situation and it becomes even more difficult!
I will be glad to snap a few pics and send them to your email address. Bob


Bob - from what you are describing, our A&P/AI is trying to use that same location. We already have the Tost tow hook. I did sit in the Pawnee once (not a power- or tow pilot, though) and concluded that one has to have the anatomy of an Orangutan to reach for the handle while still looking forward and out the window!
If you could send me a picture or two to [email protected] that would be great - or post them on your website. There seems to be some general interest in this conversion.

Uli
'AS'
  #15  
Old June 18th 20, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 390
Default Tow plane wanted

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 9:42:16 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 6:46:12 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 3:18:30 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 3:49:50 AM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 8:17:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi bob, hours since major overhaul? Total? and Price?

Thanks

Cliff

The Pawnee was totally rebuilt and had 17 hours on it since rebuild.. The engine has about 900 hours since total rebuild. I will confirm all the hours and post the actual info tomorrow. The plane was not used to spray with after rebuild, I had it converted to tow. Some here have seen this plane and can confirm the condition. All AD's have been complied with, no hopper, I towed yesterday with it also just completed annual. Asking 51 K, will sell with or without Tost hook. Bob

Hi Bob - tried twice to contact you via P.M. but it doesn't seem to go through - hence the post.
Our club is in the process of moving the tow line release from the Pawnee's floor board to the panel area. Could you make some info available as to how that conversion was done on your Yellow Gorilla?
Thanks,

Uli
'AS'


Uli, I have done this conversion on three Pawnee's that I have owned, and for the life of me I am still at a loss of words as to why others have not done this. The handle is the hopper dump handle standard on all Pawnee's it extends from below the floor and rises up to a position about three feet above the floor. I is a double connected bar that has a bushing and it is fitted in two places.
The lower end has a slight bend facing forward for the hopper release to attach. Since we have no need for the hopper I removed it and incorporated that handle as the tow release handle. I cut and welded the lower end to face backward to connect to the tow release cable. This handle is extremely strong and the leverage is unequaled compared to other releases. The most important aspect is the location, just forward of the throttle and mixture handle within easy reach in the event of an emergency. IMHO the Schweizer hook is not the big problem, but reaching the release while positioned on the floor is the main culprit. Just strap yourself into a Pawnee and try to reach the floor panel, not an easy thing to do. Now put yourself into an emergency situation and it becomes even more difficult!
I will be glad to snap a few pics and send them to your email address. Bob


Bob - from what you are describing, our A&P/AI is trying to use that same location. We already have the Tost tow hook. I did sit in the Pawnee once (not a power- or tow pilot, though) and concluded that one has to have the anatomy of an Orangutan to reach for the handle while still looking forward and out the window!
If you could send me a picture or two to [email protected] that would be great - or post them on your website. There seems to be some general interest in this conversion.

Uli
'AS'


Uli, I will get some information to you I also will get some good information posted on our club Facebook page also. I have also done considerable testing on release tensions required to activate the three different releases that I have used, Tost, Schweizer, and the Pacific Aero, one might be surprised at the results. Bob
  #16  
Old June 18th 20, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 279
Default Tow plane wanted


I did sit in the Pawnee once (not a power- or tow pilot, though) and concluded that one has to have the anatomy of an Orangutan to reach for the handle while still looking forward and out the window!


How far did the Orangutan optimized handle extend from the floor?

(We extended ours from about 8 to 20 inches which looked about right for humans.)

  #17  
Old June 18th 20, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,124
Default Tow plane wanted

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 7:25:33 PM UTC-4, Neal Alders wrote:
UH, I have looked that bird over pretty good. Its prime for VSC. Email me at and Ill give you some other intel about it. I can fly it up to you as well if needed.


Have 2 good tugs. Somebody else needs it more.
UH
  #18  
Old June 18th 20, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 390
Default Tow plane wanted

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 7:46:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I did sit in the Pawnee once (not a power- or tow pilot, though) and concluded that one has to have the anatomy of an Orangutan to reach for the handle while still looking forward and out the window!


How far did the Orangutan optimized handle extend from the floor?

(We extended ours from about 8 to 20 inches which looked about right for humans.)


I would estimate at least 24 inches, I can fly, look straight ahead and easily and comfortably locate and pull the handle. Bob
  #19  
Old June 18th 20, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 390
Default Tow plane wanted

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 9:42:16 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 6:46:12 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 3:18:30 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 3:49:50 AM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 8:17:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi bob, hours since major overhaul? Total? and Price?

Thanks

Cliff

The Pawnee was totally rebuilt and had 17 hours on it since rebuild.. The engine has about 900 hours since total rebuild. I will confirm all the hours and post the actual info tomorrow. The plane was not used to spray with after rebuild, I had it converted to tow. Some here have seen this plane and can confirm the condition. All AD's have been complied with, no hopper, I towed yesterday with it also just completed annual. Asking 51 K, will sell with or without Tost hook. Bob

Hi Bob - tried twice to contact you via P.M. but it doesn't seem to go through - hence the post.
Our club is in the process of moving the tow line release from the Pawnee's floor board to the panel area. Could you make some info available as to how that conversion was done on your Yellow Gorilla?
Thanks,

Uli
'AS'


Uli, I have done this conversion on three Pawnee's that I have owned, and for the life of me I am still at a loss of words as to why others have not done this. The handle is the hopper dump handle standard on all Pawnee's it extends from below the floor and rises up to a position about three feet above the floor. I is a double connected bar that has a bushing and it is fitted in two places.
The lower end has a slight bend facing forward for the hopper release to attach. Since we have no need for the hopper I removed it and incorporated that handle as the tow release handle. I cut and welded the lower end to face backward to connect to the tow release cable. This handle is extremely strong and the leverage is unequaled compared to other releases. The most important aspect is the location, just forward of the throttle and mixture handle within easy reach in the event of an emergency. IMHO the Schweizer hook is not the big problem, but reaching the release while positioned on the floor is the main culprit. Just strap yourself into a Pawnee and try to reach the floor panel, not an easy thing to do. Now put yourself into an emergency situation and it becomes even more difficult!
I will be glad to snap a few pics and send them to your email address. Bob


Bob - from what you are describing, our A&P/AI is trying to use that same location. We already have the Tost tow hook. I did sit in the Pawnee once (not a power- or tow pilot, though) and concluded that one has to have the anatomy of an Orangutan to reach for the handle while still looking forward and out the window!
If you could send me a picture or two to [email protected] that would be great - or post them on your website. There seems to be some general interest in this conversion.

Uli
'AS'


Uli, email me at and I will get you a few pics out.. Bob
  #20  
Old June 19th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Alders
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Tow plane wanted

Sorry UH, I misunderstood the question.

Pay no attention to the idiot behind the keyboard.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted to Adopt A Plane adix Aviation Marketplace 6 November 3rd 05 07:14 PM
Reno AIR RACING like PLANE wanted for Photoshoot Vlens Piloting 1 March 16th 04 06:43 PM
Reno AIR RACING like PLANE wanted for Photoshoot Vlens Restoration 0 March 15th 04 04:08 PM
Wanted: Tow Plane Thomas F. Dixon Soaring 0 March 11th 04 12:54 AM
Decomissioned commercial passenger plane wanted [email protected] Owning 6 September 9th 03 07:21 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.