Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

Old July 28th 20, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

"unlike blundering into lift on the turn to base (for example)."

I ALWAYS blunder into lift on my base leg. It's Nature's way of screwing with my head.
Old July 29th 20, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

https://youtu.be/0EtYyYWErgI

https://zywiec.naszemiasto.pl/awaryj...89/zd/11119887

Two different events. The glider in the video was removed from water, underwent some maintenance and was returned to service. In the photo gallery that Pirat is done, but the damage was done by the rescue services.
Old July 29th 20, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

I have spent a lot of my glides across Lake Tahoe looking at the water options. The problem is, anywhere near shore and where you might be able to swim to shore and then rescue a glider is full of boats, jet skis, piers, paddle boards, kayaks, swimmers and so on. The water is not an easy option. Ramy's golf course is incredibly narrow, surrounded by trees, and has golfers on it. From google maps, the swampy area between the road and Ramy's golf course looks possible. Has anyone looked at that? One solid walk away from it option in the basin would bar awfully nice.
John Cochrane BB
Old July 29th 20, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 10:27:27 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
I have spent a lot of my glides across Lake Tahoe looking at the water options. The problem is, anywhere near shore and where you might be able to swim to shore and then rescue a glider is full of boats, jet skis, piers, paddle boards, kayaks, swimmers and so on. The water is not an easy option. Ramy's golf course is incredibly narrow, surrounded by trees, and has golfers on it. From google maps, the swampy area between the road and Ramy's golf course looks possible. Has anyone looked at that? One solid walk away from it option in the basin would bar awfully nice.
John Cochrane BB

I agree that the water close to shore, especially around Kings Beach is pretty cluttered. One possibility is the driving range, as it will have no one on it - but it looks pretty short. I've thought about the swampy area you refer to, will go walk that next time I am up. By far the best option is to stay above Marlette Lake and only turn left with good altitude.
Old July 29th 20, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 8:08:30 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'll also find an excuse to go walk that swampy area. And I think this story reinforces conventional wisdom: Don't try it unless you see wind on the water at Lake Tahoe. Don't leave Marlette Lake without a good Mc 3 + glide past Brockaway summit. Think real hard if you want to do this before glide to Carson disappears. And... Let's hear more rules of thumb from locals. I think if nothing else Ramy's story emphasizes, think through this decision before you're faced with it.

John Cochrane

Old July 29th 20, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

When you walk the swamp area, let us know if the two posts that show up on Google Maps and Google Earth satellite views just north of the "pond" and close to the trail crossing the area are still there or not. On the satellite photos it looks like there's a fair amount of scrub to deal with, too.

You can see the posts if you go to Ramy's track, select Satellite, and zoom in on the swamp to the west.

Paul A.
Old July 29th 20, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I checked this swamp some 5 years ago and concluded the golf course to be safer assuming it is clear.
However it is worth checking it again, as well as the other fairways, the more options the better, but I conquer with everything else said. unless we find a real safe landing spot, better not taking this risk again. “sergio’s Elevator” works only 99% of the time... (probably less than 99%).

Ramy
Old July 29th 20, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Some of the posts here about water landing could give the impression that it's not so bad. Sometimes it isn't.

Readers should bear in mind that those who drown while so doing are not posting their story in counterpoint. I have just one friend who's ever attempted a water landing with his glider. He won't be posting.
Old July 29th 20, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I was waiting for someone to point that out. I recall that accident near Turf. Water landings may be no big deal if everything goes well. However if something goes wrong, you drop a wing, you stalled, you misjudged you’re altitude above the water (easy to do) etc and it can be more serious and less forgiving than ground.

Ramy
Old July 29th 20, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 11:59:08 AM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
Some of the posts here about water landing could give the impression that it's not so bad. Sometimes it isn't.

Readers should bear in mind that those who drown while so doing are not posting their story in counterpoint. I have just one friend who's ever attempted a water landing with his glider. He won't be posting.

I have been an avid sailor most of my adult life. Over a third of all drowning victims are good swimmers. I have also been in a dunk tank for training on how to get out of a submerged helicopter. Great experience and I am not convinced unless, you are practiced and current that most could pull that off. Do you know your reference points, have you practiced upside down, blind folded and wet?
While Ramy has 8,000 plus hours of XC glider flying most of us do not. So his A, B, and C might be significantly different than what others could pull off. I have been in Sergio's elevator. I also remember a good pilot named Joe that got killed in there as I was leaving soaring for an extended hiatus. While lots of good information here, Harrison Callahan really summed up life "a man has to know his limitations". Don't push yours.

Lake Elsinore, 1-26 crash landing video David Reitter Soaring 2 July 13th 12 09:33 PM
Short field landing Lake Providence LA (0M8) with ATC COMS - Video A Lieberma[_2_] Owning 0 July 21st 09 12:06 AM
South Lake Tahoe Class D Ray Piloting 2 May 15th 05 03:31 AM
Lake Tahoe Ross Richardson Owning 5 March 28th 05 07:04 PM
DONNER LAKE TAHOE 2005 TRUCKEE,CA PHOTOS DONNER LAKE 2005 Piloting 3 January 16th 05 09:06 AM