1970s glider operation Henderson NV

Old September 25th 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S

Default 1970s glider operation Henderson NV

I know there are many longtime glider pilots here, so maybe additional information is out there on this.

I have a tow plane and glider that I fly on weekends and the inspiration originally started with a glider ride for me, a 7 year old kid back in the 70s.

The airfield was in Henderson Nevada and was originally called Sky Harbor (this is not PHX). It was owned by an old barnstormer named Arby Alper. Sky Harbor was a dusty old strip with relocated military buildings and very little going on. Our family kept various airplanes there including a Luscombe. During the many boring visits there, one thing that fascinated me was the glider operation. Eventually, my Dad bought me a ride. He was cheap so it was a “low” tow. The man who operated the glider school (not Alper), took pity on a very excited 7 year old and gave me the high tow instead. That one ride, sparked an interest to fly other gliders as I got older, eventually to earn my certs.

This leads me to a question, does anybody remember this operation and more importantly the man who operated it?
Talking with SSA, they believe it was Dick McKnight.
D.M. operated out of Boulder City and not Henderson as far as I know. Here is the other kicker... my Dad came home not too long after my ride and said the glider pilot and his wife perished while maneuvering at low altitude in a C180. SSA folks said D.M. lived to be a ripe old age.
So there is the mystery.

I’ve always wondered who this pilot was... the glider flight is a vivid memory for me.
Old September 25th 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad Alston[_2_]

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 11:26:22 AM UTC-6, Jim S wrote:

This leads me to a question, does anybody remember this operation and more importantly the man who operated it?
Talking with SSA, they believe it was Dick McKnight.
D.M. operated out of Boulder City and not Henderson as far as I know. Here is the other kicker... my Dad came home not too long after my ride and said the glider pilot and his wife perished while maneuvering at low altitude in a C180. SSA folks said D.M. lived to be a ripe old age.
So there is the mystery.

I’ve always wondered who this pilot was... the glider flight is a vivid memory for me.

I showed up on the scene in 1977 and was not aware of an operation out of Henderson's Sky Harbor airport at that time. So, the Henderson operation could have disappeared before 1977. I left the area in 1981.

Dick McKnight was indeed the operator out of the Boulder City airport...as that is where I flew from, occassionally being able to trade time washing the tow plane trading from some time in his gliders. Anyone who knows Dick, a former WWII glider veteran, knows he was a great guy with lots of character. Loved sitting and talking with him about anything. Loved flying out of the old airport too. I believe Dick did live for some time beyond when the Boulder City, now called Bould City Municipal, airport moved to its current location and the glider operation disappeared.

For some interesting Bould City airport history, see http://www.placesthatwere.com/2016/0...t-airport.html

I hope you are able to solve your mystery!

Brad.
Old September 28th 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S

Hi Brad, Thanks for your input. I believe the glider operation was gone by ‘77. I guess it’s to be expected that information would be sparse. I basically grew up on that little airport but nobody remembers the operation. Including the locals.
I guess a take away from this little story, don’t underestimate a simple kindness.
Old September 30th 20, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Monday, September 28, 2020 at 7:35:17 AM UTC-7, Jim S wrote:
Hi Brad, Thanks for your input. I believe the glider operation was gone by ‘77. I guess it’s to be expected that information would be sparse. I basically grew up on that little airport but nobody remembers the operation. Including the locals.
I guess a take away from this little story, don’t underestimate a simple kindness.

Don’t know if this will help any, but I flew a 2-33 and a 1-26 at a little strip near Las Vegas In December, 1971. I was on temporary duty at Nellis AFB and drove maybe 30 minutes to the glider port several times. My log book shows OK to solo 1-26 by Robert Wiley at Skysailing LVN. I do remember that Ross Bregleb was running the little glider FBO. This may have been the Henderson operation?
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old September 30th 20, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 4:07:53 PM UTC-4, John Sinclair wrote:
On Monday, September 28, 2020 at 7:35:17 AM UTC-7, Jim S wrote:
Hi Brad, Thanks for your input. I believe the glider operation was gone by ‘77. I guess it’s to be expected that information would be sparse. I basically grew up on that little airport but nobody remembers the operation. Including the locals.
I guess a take away from this little story, don’t underestimate a simple kindness.

Don’t know if this will help any, but I flew a 2-33 and a 1-26 at a little strip near Las Vegas In December, 1971. I was on temporary duty at Nellis AFB and drove maybe 30 minutes to the glider port several times. My log book shows OK to solo 1-26 by Robert Wiley at Skysailing LVN. I do remember that Ross Bregleb was running the little glider FBO. This may have been the Henderson operation?
Hope this helps,
JJ

I was there in 1975, I do not recall the specific names of the people, but Ross does ring a bell, it was out in the middle of nowhere back then. Bob