Deadly week

Old July 12th 11, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Deadly week

It appears the last weekend was pretty deadly for gliding in the
west. We had a gas-powered Tarus go in north of Durango, killing its
pilot, and reading other reports, there was reported a 2-32 somewhere
else in Colorado involved in a fatal during a check ride, and a guy
reported to be flying Stridek's old ASW-20 reported to have gone down
out of Cal City "on the switchbacks". All this in the same week as
getting the recent SOARING, with its safety articles talking about too
many folks dying in glider accidents.

Bob
Old July 12th 11, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jul 11, 9:32*pm, Bob wrote:
It appears the last weekend was pretty deadly for gliding in the
west. *We had a gas-powered Tarus go in north of Durango, killing its
pilot, and reading other reports, there was reported a 2-32 somewhere
else in Colorado involved in a fatal during a check ride, and a guy
reported to be flying Stridek's old ASW-20 reported to have gone down
out of Cal City "on the switchbacks". * All this in the same week as
getting the recent SOARING, with its safety articles talking about too
many folks dying in glider accidents.

Bob

2-32 crash was in Montana
Old July 12th 11, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

We had a gas-powered Tarus go in north of Durango, killing its
pilot, and reading other reports, there was reported a 2-32 somewhere
else in Colorado involved in a fatal during a check ride, and a guy
reported to be flying Stridek's old ASW-20 reported to have gone down
out of Cal City "on the switchbacks". *

This is horrible. Does anyone know if it Jerry was flying his ASW 20?

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...03X04725&key=1
-NTSB prelim on the 20

http://durangoherald.com/article/201...707109877/-1/s -
Durango Taurus crash

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/2...ash-identified
-Montana 2-32 crash

-paul

Old July 12th 11, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Sadly I believe that yes, Jerry was flying KS when he went in near
Lone Pine.

Old July 12th 11, 10:15 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Sad to read about all the fatalities. In about one weeks time it appears that four accidents took 5 lives in our sport. Questions remain as to what happened to the ASW 20. I heard from a trusted source that the pilot of the motor glider may well have suffered a heart attack but that's not for sure yet. There were two crashes that appear to have been associated with simulated tow rope brakes which were with instructor/examiners in the back seat.

Makes me think twice about telling my friends how safe the sport is and inviting them for a ride. My zeal at recruitment of other glider pilots has been tempered somewhat along with my thoughts of becoming an instructor. I know I can take care of myself but I'm not sure I want to be responsible for someone else. Self confidence is great but overconfidence can kill you if you let it.

If nothing else, things like these make me think. Have I done the checklist completely? Do I have a plan in the event of a rope brake or a wave off from tow? Am I paying attention to my altitude on tow? Have I become complacent? The Montana crash and the Poland crash were with instructors so inexperience should not have been much of a factor. We may never know truly what happened in Poland but hopefully the survivor of the Montana crash can shed some light on the situation and remind us all of what to do and what not to do.

Condolences to all involved.

Walt
Old July 13th 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jul 11, 10:19*pm, sisu1a wrote:
We had a gas-powered Tarus go in north of Durango, killing its

pilot, and reading other reports, there was reported a 2-32 somewhere
else in Colorado involved in a fatal during a check ride, and a guy
reported to be flying Stridek's old ASW-20 reported to have gone down
out of Cal City "on the switchbacks". *

This is horrible. Does anyone know if it Jerry was flying his ASW 20?

*http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...03X04725&key=1
-NTSB prelim on the 20

http://durangoherald.com/article/201...07109877/-1/s-
Durango Taurus crash

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/2...fatal-glider-c...
-Montana 2-32 crash

-paul

Gordan Schmidt identified in the Montana accident was at one tine a
Glider DPE, I do not know if he still holds that privilege. This
accident is now at least the third accident that he has been either
directly or indirectly involved in that I know of. His "indirect"
involvement was as tow pilot when a glider crashed on tow.
Contributing factors were tow pilot actions and failure to maintain
adequate airspeed for the glider below 100ft AGL. This is the second
known accident where he has been injured.

Deadly chemtrails poison the public Mxsmanic Piloting 5 May 31st 10 10:17 PM
Deadly Thermals!!!! JGalban Piloting 6 September 15th 07 03:30 AM
IFR Flight Twice as Deadly as VFR? Jay Honeck Piloting 78 April 21st 07 11:27 PM
THE DEADLY RAILROAD BRIDGES ArtKramr Military Aviation 32 February 5th 04 02:34 PM
Deadly Rhode Island Collision in the Air - KWST John Piloting 0 November 17th 03 04:12 AM