Vintage Home Gliding Movie(s)

Old March 27th 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Vintage Home Gliding Movie(s)

One of our Texas Soaring Association (TSA) members, Dave White,
discovered a VHS tape in a dusty old drawer at TSA made by June Wiberg
who compiled and narrated all of her old glider days home movies from
the 40's to the early 60's and sent it to TSA. June was the wife of
Wally Wiberg, who owned a flying ranch in Grand Prairie, Texas that
became the home of TSA in the 60's and 70's. Wally owned the Screamin'
Wiener later renamed the Lil' Dogie.

Dave put the VHS tape on a DVD which I converted to mp4 and posted in
11 segments on YouTube with a little description. The tape has 8mm
footage of the 1952 Nationals in Grand Prairie featuring a few minutes
of the Horten IV flying wing (Rudy Opitz) and the RJ5 (Dick Johnson).
It also contained Torrey Pines beach landings, the 1955 Nationals in
Florida, the first flight of the Sisu, many, many LK's, TG-3's, Pratt-
Reeds, even footage of 1936 Wasserkuppe. More importantly, it has
lots of footage of gliding legends who were (are) still in their
youth.

Part 1 of 11 1952 - Texas Soaring Association
Gliders - Screaming Wiener, Lil Dogie, Pratt-Reed, BG-6,People - Phil
Easley, E. J. Reeves, Wally Wiberg

Part 2 of 11 1952 Nationals at Grand Prairie, Texas, Texas Soaring
Association
Gliders - Horten IV, RJ-6, Tiny Mite, People - Dick Johnson, Rudy
Opitz, Ken Jacobs

Part 3 of 11 1954 Texas Soaring Association, Gliders - AV-36, Flying
Plank, 1-23, TG-3, Pratt-Reed, People - Jon Carsey, Larry Gerlein

Part 4 of 11 1955 Nationals in Elmira, New York, Larry Gerlein, Rudy
Opitz, Bill Coverdale, Bill Ivans, 2-25

Part 5 or 11 Local Texas Soaring Association - Early 1950's, Lil
Dogie, TG-3, Minimoa, Wei he, Double Tow

Part 6 of 11, December 1958, First flight of the Sisu - Len Niemi,
George Coder

Part 7 of 11, February 1959, Torrey Pines California, Pratt-Reed, Baby
Bowlus, Joe Lincoln.Wally Wiberg

Part 8 of 11, 1948 Nationals, Sanford, Florida, Pratt-Reed, LK, E.J.
Reeves, Wally Wiberg, Fritz and Baby Compton

Part 9 of 11, 1948 Nationals, Sanford, Florida,L-100, Teco Teco

Part 10 of 11, Texas Soaring Association - Early 50's, Dick Johnson,
Ken Jacobs, Oats Schwarzenegger

Part 11 of 11, 1936 Wasserkuppe, Karl Bauer

Go to www.youtube.com and search for TSA Wiberg to find all 11 or
start he

TSA Wiberg Part 1 of 11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAkpVnbWo3A

Bob O'Neal
Texas Soaring Association
Old March 27th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

WoW, those are amazing. Thanks so much for providing this footage.
Old March 27th 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

Thanks to all involved in preserving and sharing this precious
footage!

Curt Lewis - 95
Old March 27th 10, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Bob,

Very nice! Thank you Bob and Dave and June for making these treasures
available!

Paul Remde

Old March 28th 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Armstrong

June Wiberg was a really special person. We got to know her well -
she was a tremendous volunteer here in the West for both the Vintage
Sailplane Association events and the Sailplane Homebuilders
Association (now Experimental Soaring Association) events. I'm sure
she would be thrilled you found the tapes! The ESA named an award
after her - the June Wiberg Spirit of Volunteerism Award.

Janice Armstrong
DAN Crew
Old March 28th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Oh my. Such wonderful images of soaring personalities and legendary
sailplanes that I remember in my youth.
Especially enjoyed seeing the 1948 footage of my Mom & Dad in their
thirties, young and smiling . . .

Sincere thanks to Wally and June Wiberg for the original film, and to
Dave & Bob at TSA for preserving this historic footage.

Burt
Marfa, Texas USA

Old March 28th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Burt Compton - Marfa" wrote in message ...
Oh my. Such wonderful images of soaring personalities and legendary
sailplanes that I remember in my youth.
Especially enjoyed seeing the 1948 footage of my Mom & Dad in their
thirties, young and smiling . . .

Sincere thanks to Wally and June Wiberg for the original film, and to
Dave & Bob at TSA for preserving this historic footage.

Burt
Marfa, Texas USA

Burt,

Do you know the status of your father's HP-11 project?

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

old gliding movie jim Soaring 3 July 15th 09 02:30 AM
Gliding soaring vintage manual FA JaneyP Soaring 0 March 25th 06 11:46 AM
Radio Control Gliding Soaring vintage FA [email protected] Soaring 0 July 9th 05 02:37 AM
Gliding, Vintage Book 1932 Motorless Flight FA Sarah Mc. Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 04 11:40 PM
Gliding Vintage Book 1932 Motorless Flight FA Sarah Mc. Soaring 0 November 5th 04 01:07 AM