Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

Old April 8th 11, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

XC Soar (open source) runs phenomenally on driodX (any andriod phone) and the Motorola Xoom Tablet. I think apple can run this but I might be wrong. XC Soar is full featured cc sailplane racing software, is entirely free and is being developed and updated nearly every day by a dedicated and passionate team of sailplane pilot developers who believe the sailplane computer market is a bit of a shame and the hardware offered (pdas, oudie) is cheap chinese crap. The software is similar to SeeYou and has alot of great features. Worth a look. Type in cc soar on the android market.
Old April 8th 11, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 8, 5:26*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
XC Soar (open source) runs phenomenally on driodX (any andriod phone) and the
Motorola Xoom Tablet. *I think apple can run this but I might be wrong.

/snip/

Just to clarify, XCSoar (or the derivative LK8000) does not run on any
Apple iOS (or Mac OS X) device. It would require the developers port
to this software and that's probalby too much to expect given the
several platforms they are already supporting.

Darryl
Old April 8th 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 4/8/2011 8:26 AM, Sean Fidler wrote:
XC Soar (open source) runs phenomenally on driodX (any andriod phone) and the Motorola Xoom Tablet. I think apple can run this but I might be wrong. XC Soar is full featured cc sailplane racing software, is entirely free and is being developed and updated nearly every day by a dedicated and passionate team of sailplane pilot developers who believe the sailplane computer market is a bit of a shame and the hardware offered (pdas, oudie) is cheap chinese crap. The software is similar to SeeYou and has alot of great features. Worth a look. Type in cc soar on the android market.

It will be interesting to see if they make it available on the Nook
Color. That could be a great low cost ($249) option.

--
Mike Schumann
Old April 8th 11, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 8, 12:31*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:
On 4/8/2011 8:26 AM, Sean Fidler wrote: XC Soar (open source) runs phenomenally on driodX (any andriod phone) and the Motorola Xoom Tablet. *I think apple can run this but I might be wrong. *XC Soar is full featured cc sailplane racing software, is entirely free and is being developed and updated nearly every day by a dedicated and passionate team of sailplane pilot developers who believe the sailplane computer market is a bit of a shame and the hardware offered (pdas, oudie) is cheap chinese crap. *The software is similar to SeeYou and has alot of great features. *Worth a look. *Type in cc soar on the android market.

It will be interesting to see if they make it available on the Nook
Color. *That could be a great low cost ($249) option.

--
Mike Schumann

Mike

Its possible to root hack the Nook now and run Android 2.2 (and maybe
3.0) on it and should be able to install the current XCSoar Android
software and see if it works. I believe there is supposed to be an
official upgrade to Android 2.2 coming for the Nook which should make
this easier. Anybody tried XCSoar on the Nook?

Darryl
Old April 8th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

wrote:

[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoHALWvPts

Didn’t watch the whole video but it appears to be what you’re looking
for.

Jim
Old April 9th 11, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Its possible to root hack the Nook now and run Android 2.2 (and maybe
3.0) on it and should be able to install the current XCSoar Android
software and see if it works. I believe there is supposed to be an
official upgrade to Android 2.2 coming for the Nook which should make
this easier. Anybody tried XCSoar on the Nook?

Perhaps a foolish question, but since the Nook Color doesn't have a
GPS, how are you thinking of getting the GPS signal? I found that
there's an app called tetherGPS, but that uses an Android smartphone
to transmit over wi-fi to the Nook. Is there a way to feed the GPS
directly into the nook from another GPS source? Could it, somehow, be
connected to a PowerFLARM?
Old April 9th 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 8, 4:10*pm, jsbrake wrote:
Its possible to root hack the Nook now and run Android 2.2 (and maybe
3.0) on it and should be able to install the current XCSoar Android
software and see if it works. I believe there is supposed to be an
official upgrade to Android 2.2 coming for the Nook which should make
this easier. Anybody tried XCSoar on the Nook?

Perhaps a foolish question, but since the Nook Color doesn't have a
GPS, how are you thinking of getting the GPS signal? *I found that
there's an app called tetherGPS, but that uses an Android smartphone
to transmit over wi-fi to the Nook. *Is there a way to feed the GPS
directly into the nook from another GPS source? *Could it, somehow, be
connected to a PowerFLARM?

The Color Nook has Bluetooth hardware and enabling that and the
required SPP (serial over Bluetooth) is just a matter of software. If
that support is not in the common Android 2.2 root hack then it _may_
be in the official Android 2.2 update that is supposedly coming to the
Color Nook. Once you have BT SSP support in the operating system the
rest should be easy. And ideally applications that know how to use
this (like XCSoar) should in principle just work. Once you have
Bluetooth you can go out to those low cost Bluetooth GPS receivers or
via a Bluetooth adapter (like the K6-BT) to a PowerFLARM etc. Of
course my hand waving and seeing it all work are two different things.

BTW another nook root hack resource for the color Nook is
http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor

I just ordered a iPad 2 but the inner geek in me is thinking of
getting a Moto Xoom as well since I want to play more with Android.

Darryl
Old April 9th 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

I just ordered a iPad 2 but the inner geek in me is thinking of
getting a Moto Xoom as well since I want to play more with Android.

My wife loves her iPad 2 (I braved the lines on opening day in
Canada), but I have an aversion the thing. My inner geek wants a
Notion Ink Adam, but in 7" format... however my inner geek is being
beaten up the harsh reality of 1 child in college and 2 more close
behind, plus a wife that loves to spend my sailplane money on
travelling to places where I can't take my sailplane.

Perhaps I can con her into getting me a Nook Color if the BT
connection works to the PowerFLARM.
Old April 9th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 4/8/2011 7:34 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

The Nook Color also has a USB interface, which might be another way to
connect the required GPS receiver.

--
Mike Schumann
Old April 9th 11, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 8, 4:10 pm, *wrote:
[...]

The Color Nook as shipped is USB client only but it apparently has
chipset support for Bluetooth On-The-Go (i.e. client/host switching).
I don't think this is working yet with any of the root hacked Android
versions. But if the BT OTG support is really there then yes this is a
possibility. If its client only then it won't work. Still the first
step now would be for somebody to just try out XCSoar on Android 2.2
on this platform, you don't need a physical GPS to do a test.

Darryl