DPE for Initial CFIG?

Old February 28th 13, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default DPE for Initial CFIG?

Friends,

Where are schools that have a readily available DPE for an initial CFIG?

I'm not looking for any feedback about the schools, just locations so I can start some research.

Thanks!

Terry
Old February 28th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:14:13 PM UTC-6, Terry Pitts wrote:
Friends, Where are schools that have a readily available DPE for an initial CFIG? I'm not looking for any feedback about the schools, just locations so I can start some research. Thanks! Terry

Terry,

I don't know of any glider DPE's who are approved to do INITIAL CFI-G checkrides. I'm sure there might be a few out there. In my experience, all INITIAL CFI-G checkrides have been handled by the local FSDO. Any commercial operation should have the experience to prepare you for the checkride.
Old February 28th 13, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eons ago (1997) I had my initial checkride with an FAA examiner. They actually
had to transfer him to Greensboro so he could handle my checkride.

Nowadays they apparently generally delegate initial glider CFI checkrides
to glider DPEs on a case-by-case basis. There just aren't that many FAA
examiners around that are qualified to do those rides, and they'd rather
have DPEs do checkrides now in any case.

So, the thing to do is to have your instructor contact your friendly
neighborhood FSDO and tell them that they will have a glider instructor
candidate to deal with in the near future (when you're reasonably close to
being prepped, that is). They will tell you about who can do the checkride.

Matt
Old February 28th 13, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

wrote:
Eons ago (1997) I had my initial checkride with an FAA examiner. They actually
had to transfer him to Greensboro so he could handle my checkride.

Nowadays they apparently generally delegate initial glider CFI checkrides
to glider DPEs on a case-by-case basis. There just aren't that many FAA
examiners around that are qualified to do those rides, and they'd rather
have DPEs do checkrides now in any case.

So, the thing to do is to have your instructor contact your friendly
neighborhood FSDO and tell them that they will have a glider instructor
candidate to deal with in the near future (when you're reasonably close to
being prepped, that is). They will tell you about who can do the checkride.

Matt

Yeah in the Milwaukee FSDO they delegate to Judy (aka ex badge lady) as
they have no examiners for glider ratings. IIRC a FSDO guy usually observes
the CFI initial though.

Pete
Old March 1st 13, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

In Las Vegas, the FSDO would delegate the local DPE for initial CFIG rides on a case by case basis.
Then we had one ride where they sent an FSDO check pilot from Arkansas to LAS for an initial CFIG ride.
Then they went back to allowing the local DPE complete initial CFIG rides.
Our DPE has since retired. Be interesting to see what happens next.

BT
Old March 1st 13, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

Here in Virginia John Molumphy of the Blue Ridge Soaring Society can also do initial CFI-G.

JP

Old February 28th 15, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 3:59:56 PM UTC-5, Bob Pasker wrote:
Does anyone have an update on who is doing INITIAL CFI-G checkrides? ASIs or DPEs? thanks, bob

In some areas,DPE's are doing initial CFI rides. It is usually because there is no qualified inspector in the district.
Randy Rickert has done a couple for us out of the Allentown PA area.
UH

Old March 1st 15, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Check with Burt Compton in Marfa TX. I believe he has been doing reinstatements and he probably can do initial Glider CFI.
BillT
Old March 1st 15, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 11:14:13 AM UTC-8, Terry Pitts wrote:
Friends,

Where are schools that have a readily available DPE for an initial CFIG?

I'm not looking for any feedback about the schools, just locations so I can start some research.

Thanks!

Terry

Mark Montegue in Reno