Benalla

Old January 17th 17, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Benalla

Any reason why US 15M does not have a tracker today (Day 7)? Â*That means I may have to follow the 18M more closely without switching back and forth. Â*On the plus side I might get some sleep tonight. Â*
Old January 17th 17, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 10:57:45 PM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Any reason why US 15M does not have a tracker today (Day 7)? Â*That means I may have to follow the 18M more closely without switching back and forth. Â*On the plus side I might get some sleep tonight. Â*

Tweeter tweet said only the top guys/gals would be carrying them as their is not enough for all.

Best. #711.
Old January 17th 17, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

maanantai 16. tammikuuta 2017 18.59.40 UTC+2 Jonathan St. Cloud kirjoitti:
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 7:52:01 AM UTC-8, John Bojack J4 wrote:
Lowly (and only) LS-10 has taken a 9th and a 7th flying amongst all the latest super new models.
Too bad DG doesn't bother to place some top world-class pilots in a few more LS-10's.

Rick Walter's (RIP) won the pre-worlds in a LS-10 when it was first on Market. I was always surprised that the LS-6 drivers did not buy the LS-10. At a fit 200 pounds I just could not close the canopy though, (Longer torso, broad shoulders). I too thought DG should put a few top pilots in their LS-10 years ago.

LS6 drivers in my airfield had LS10 options bought and were anticipating the new glider. Then nothing happened for 5 years, they grew tired of waiting and ordered ASG29's instead. Same thing happened everywhere. LS10 was killed because factory could not deliver it.
Old January 17th 17, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Ouch. 7T landed 2.5km before the finish.
Jim
Old January 17th 17, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

Is Kawa unwell? Very odd to see him so far down the sheets.

Old January 17th 17, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

On 17/01/2017 07:42, krasw wrote:
[...]

It was unfortunate timing that all LS10 development stopped for multiple
years due to litigation surrounding LS going out business and being
taken over by DG. By the time that was resolved and work restarted the
ASG29 was available and established and the LS6 owners had moved on.
Couple that with the LS10 not getting exposure with multiple top pilots
in comps it always remained as a niche product. As another poster
mentioned it seems to have been quietly dropped from the product range.

--

Nick Hill
Old January 17th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

During the LS meeting in Ludwigshafen in 2015, a DG representative said that in case multiple orders are received, they are considering producing some more LS10. It is not commercially reasonable to produce just one or two gliders of a type per year. Apparently there has not been enough demand since then.

Best,
Christoph
Old January 17th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Overall the 17th looked like a great day at the races.

The lone Nihonjin is doing very well. GO MAK!
Matthew and the fellow we call "Ace", too.
Perhaps the EB29s showed their worth? Watched EB leave B3, AG et al in the dust just short of the first turnpoint.
The V3 has really come into the picture. WO and 3V leading the day. 3 more in the top 10.
I know very little about sailplane racing. The collision days were a complete turn-off.
But days like yesterday...
Jim

Perhaps start an LS10 thread?
Old January 18th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yeah sorry guys, blew it yesterday. Long story. Was almost at 133kph, needed a 3 knot climb to maintain that for 1500 feet. Anything higher would have increased speed so a 900 day was close but...no cigar. These guys here are incredible. Just happy to be here and experience the pace they set.

My point on rules is that we need to be careful. Our rules in this environment would not diffuse gaggles much (IMO). That said, I agree with John C, John G and Rick Scheppe that our rule system is more inviting to not flying in gaggles.

My example yesterday (only land out) was a great example of why FAI scoring rewards reducing risk by staying in touch with the gaggle or others. I flew almost entirely alone and was isolated at the end of the flight. Even though I made it to the mountains which are the best late day lift source, they were. It working and I was doomed. Also, now behind, few points scenarios allow a major catch up.

So I want US scoring to make it into FAI. But not the tasking!