Updating Software on Butterfly 57 mm version 2.1 display w/o Cable?

Old December 22nd 12, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
3Y

Default Updating Software on Butterfly 57 mm version 2.1 display w/o Cable?

The butterfly manual said that we would be able to update the software on the butterfly display through the Power flarm brick on boot-up after Q4 2102..

Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks, John

Text from manual:

Updates
Update through PowerFLARM®
After Q4/2012 it will be possible to update the displays through any PowerFLARM® unit directly without the need for a special cable.
Old December 22nd 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

The software update release notes have not indicated that that feature has
been implemented. I hope it will be in the next release.

Paul Remde

Old December 23rd 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As long as the update through the brick is not yet available, I update my display with the cable.
This cable is easy to manufacture for little money from pretty standard components on ebay.
See detail of my cable at:
http://sites.google.com/site/threeun...terfly-display

3U
Old December 23rd 12, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:01:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
As long as the update through the brick is not yet available, I update my display with the cable. This cable is easy to manufacture for little money from pretty standard components on ebay. See detail of my cable at: http://sites.google.com/site/threeun...terfly-display 3U

3U
The cable does not require a TTL converter. All that is needed is 3v power, ground and the NMEA connection to a serial port. Pins 2 & 3 PC are RS232 not TTL. Per the diagram.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 23rd 12, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:01:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
As long as the update through the brick is not yet available, I update my display with the cable. This cable is easy to manufacture for little money from pretty standard components on ebay. See detail of my cable at: http://sites.google.com/site/threeun...terfly-display 3U

3U,

I see you are using a USB port.

I have a serial port on my PC so the converter is not required.
RX, TX, Gnd, and 3v to the display.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old December 23rd 12, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Richard.
I update my Butterfly Display FirmWare and the FlarmNet database while the display remains installed in the panel.
I use a laptop for updating. It would be hard to find a laptop with serial port.
So, you would need a USB-RS232 dongle (easy and cheap to get). Plus the 3V power supply.
Such a dongle contains exactly the same parts as I am using (USB-TTL bridge + TTL- RS323 converter). The only difference is that I take the 3.3V supply directly out of the USB bridge.

Happy Holidays
3U
Old December 31st 12, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM

On Saturday, December 22, 2012 6:12:03 AM UTC-8, 3Y wrote:
The butterfly manual said that we would be able to update the software on the butterfly display through the Power flarm brick on boot-up after Q4 2102.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks, John

Text from manual:

Updates

Update through PowerFLARM®

After Q4/2012 it will be possible to update the displays through any PowerFLARM® unit directly without the need for a special cable.

We are currently testing this feature and expect to have it in the next release.
Rest of the development and testing is going well, too. We are now 'IGC approval feature complete' and the approval is in progress.

FLARM
Old December 31st 12, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dear Flarm (Urs?)

Thank so much for the reply. I look forward to all the enhancements coming to Flarm in your future releases.

FYI, with the addition of your latest software release 2.60, my brick is really performing nicely. PCAS range has inproved to ~ 5 nm.

And I have been reading some posting on the Butterfly display. My experience is that

1. I like the fact that it goes to butterflies if there is no detected traffic. The butterflies are very evident during my scan and when I see that I know that my focus should be outside for traffic.
2. I set th audio on high and it is perfect for me. I have a serious hearing loss do to 45 years of power flying and I can hear it well.
3. I do find the display a little small for non collision traffic info but I would not an instrument larger than 57 mm.
4. I flew with some friends with Flarms and we tested close flying passes (safely!) and found that the flarm does detect colision courses well with a display that is hard to miss and very well done.

Thanks, John