Front Electric Sustainer

Old September 22nd 12, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Front Electric Sustainer

Luka, can it be installed on certified gliders? Can it be installed on a 27?

Ramy
Old September 22nd 12, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One of those 17's that the Lituanian team flew at Uvalde is now with it's new owner in my club. He's tested the motor a couple of times but hasn't really needed it yet (We started getting decent soaring conditions on the weekends for the first time this season right after he got the glider!). It seems an impressive installation, there's only a couple of things I think would improve it:

1: The blades pretty much float free when they're not turning. I assume this is to prevent the blades from touching the fuselage unless completely stopped (of course centrifugal force pulls them clear the moment they start turning and airflow folds them against the nose when completely stopped). I can see a possibility of someone walking around the nose of the glider when it's parked catching a blade on their leg as it's hanging a foot clear of the fuselage and potentially damaging the blade. I don't know if this is worth correcting as it would require a fair bit of complication of the system to hold the blades tight to the fuselage when not turning but also move them clear of the fuselage before they start turning.

2: An automatic system to stop the blades in the 3 and 9 o'clock position whenever the motor is stopped. The owner has found that it's a little inconvenient to do this manually and when he lent the glider to another pilot to try, he used the motor a bit, landed with the blades in the 5 and 11 position, overbraked, put the nose on the ground and momentarily dragged a prop blade. Fortunately our field is fairly lush grass and no damage was done.
Old September 22nd 12, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dne petek, 21. september 2012 19:55:52 UTC+2 je oseba slbair napisala:
On Friday, September 21, 2012 11:22:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Dear Peter,

For your info actuall price for new batterie pack is about $8,000, which I think is not so high!

Regards,

Luka

Dne petek, 21. september 2012 14:00:04 UTC+2 je oseba Peter Higgs napisala:

Hi Eric, you have missed one 'Additional Cost'...

Most of the $28,000 will be the cost of the batteries, say $18,000.

These have a life-span of just a few years. So if

they need replacing after 3 years...

Thats an 'Additional Cost' of $6,000 per year.. !!

Pete

At 22:42 20 September 2012, Eric Greenwell wrote:

On 9/20/2012 2:29 PM, Limus wrote:

I was interested until I saw $28K price tag. Jeez, that's more than

what I paid for brand new all electric Nissan Leaf car.

Is your Leaf used for glider launching? If not, probably an irrelevant

observation :^)

Instead, try penciling out the numbers ($ amounts apply to my flying for

a year - 50 flights):

Additional costs:

$280 Interest cost of the $28K

$0 depreciation

$200 added insurance cost

$480 Total extra costs

Avoided costs:

$2000 Tow fees avoided by using auto tow, or low aero-tow

$1000 Retrieve costs avoided (by car, aerotow, etc)

$3000 Total avoided costs

That's a $2520 net savings/year, which is about a 9% return on the

purchase cost, so the financials look pretty good. Now add in how much

you think the intangible benefits are worth (again, numbers for my

flying):

Added value:

$150 Avoiding 3 relights

$500 Avoiding 5 landouts

$200 Being able to fly good flights in unpredictable weather

$200 Flying more aggressively

$200 Starting earlier and/or flying later

$1250 Total added value each year

Now the return is ($2520 + $1250)/$28,000 = 13%

If I owned a LAK 17, I'd be queuing up for the FES, and that's just

using it as a sustainer! If it could really work as a self-launcher, say

in low density altitude places, it would avoid more costs and provide

greater benefits.

email me)

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what

you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Luka,

Is the price yoo quoted for both batteries?

Yes for both batteries of course!
Old September 22nd 12, 08:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dne sobota, 22. september 2012 07:21:16 UTC+2 je oseba (neznano) napisala:
[...]

I would like to comment this two points:
1. If propeller is in exactly horizontal position, than it is true that blade on right side want to open due to special construction of propeller holder. But if you rotate it for one step forward than both bladed stays folded..
But it is true that when is a lot of people around there is a possibility that someone catch the blade with a leg. To avoid this at Alisport found simple solution with elastic:
http://www.alisport.com/eu/images/im...t_news2_4b.JPG
We have now available similar solution with propeller blades covers connected with elestic.

2. During summer we introduced automatic prop positioning, as you can see on newest video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTeNK...layer_embedded

It is pretty obvious that you need to land with blades in aproximately horizontal position, which is not really an issue even with random stop.

regards,

Luka
Old January 29th 13, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:52:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

So what is the status with installation of FES in the US? And any plans to install in other gliders as well?
Old January 29th 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I put out feelers last year to have a group of installations done at
Moriarty, NM. The enthusiasm was, in a word, underwhelming. I received
only one reply that expressed "definitely interested" while the others
showed only minor interest.

On consideration, the $24,000 (approx) group discounted cost was just more
than people were willing to pay in this economy.

Old January 29th 13, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:46:45 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I put out feelers last year to have a group of installations done at
Moriarty, NM. The enthusiasm was, in a word, underwhelming.

Sentiment will change quickly when something like this escapes the lab:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...es-the-energy/
Old January 30th 13, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Hmmm, what do you think it costs to keep that coal fired glider charged up Eric?
Old January 31st 13, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:31:57 AM UTC, Glidergeek wrote:
Hmmm, what do you think it costs to keep that coal fired glider charged up Eric?

My FES is an earlier conversion with maximum 18kw output. It lasts for just under an hour at level cruise power, so I guess at maximum it would only last say 30 minutes, therefore recharge of batteries must take about 9kwh plus a bit of loss (not much, as nothing gets very hot when recharging).

Dunno about USA, but my UK marginal cost of electricity is less than £0.1 Sterling per kwh, so say 10 kwh is less than £1 – say $1.50.

Most flights the FES is used little or none, so the average cost per flight is much less than that.

Self Launch is not an option on my FES, but I save some launch costs by usually using winch/ground tow, or low aerotow.

Using Luka’s original estimated figures for battery replacement, and $8000 for the cost, 1000 cycles would cost about $8 per flight if fully discharged every flight. For the few times I fully discharge the batteries, that is affordable.

The biggest advantages for me, however, are the convenience, the confidence in going cross-country with no need for a retrieve crew arranged, and entering a comp with no crew, etc. etc. You can see articles I wrote on Luka’s website.

Chris N