What could possibly go wrong?

Old January 17th 13, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default What could possibly go wrong?

On Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:04:05 PM UTC-6, vontresc wrote:
Tony wrote: On Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:12:21 AM UTC-6, Steve Leonard wrote: On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:18:06 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote: I for one do not find the PW-5 to be ugly. You, sir, have broken your glasses and are wearing Beer Goggles! i got new glasses! Aww hell tony probably thinks a PW-2 is pretty as well :-) Pete

to bring this thread full circle...what if we put the Gapa Geezer on a 15 mile long winch launch? Would he be able to make silver distance? (just kidding Geezer...)
Old January 17th 13, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 1/17/2013 2:20 PM, Wallace Berry wrote:
There used to be video of the C 141 towing the 106.

Still is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=1pEXuzi9IWg

Vaughn
Old January 17th 13, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:37:43 PM UTC-6, Vaughn wrote:

Still is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=1pEXuzi9IWg
Vaughn

That is just a takeoff. There is another short clip from the towplane, and one from the side showing a tow release. I saw a video of a lot of the towing, and the interesting dynamics they talk about when they went to high tow. That is what I was hoping to find. No luck.

Steve

Old January 18th 13, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

In article ,
Steve Leonard wrote:

And, you would probably need two "ropes" back to the rocket if you wanted to
fuel it once you got to altitude. Rockets generally get fuel and oxidizer
and you really don't want them mixed before they go into the combustion
chamber. Thus, a need for seperate fuel lines from the tanker.

Yeah, I forgot about oxidizer. The discussion I had with the rocket guys
was that either fuel or oxidizer would be on board the spaceplane at
takeoff and the tanker would load the other in flight. Which would
depend, of course, on the type of propellant and oxidizer used (cryo,
density, etc.).

Yeah, mixing fuel and oxidizer before you get to the combustion chamber
is generally considered a bad idea for rockets. Some past work, military
mostly, has looked at various fuel oxidizer mixtures and the subject
comes around regularly with people who aren't familiar with rocket
development. Heck, like most things to do with aeronautics, space
flight, or guns someone has tried nearly every crazy idea.

Hmm, now lessee, can I neck down this 55 gallon drum to a .22...