Sleeping on long flights - What's the secret?

Old November 23rd 04, 05:06 PM
Pooh Bear

John Mazor wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

John Mazor wrote:

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message

Pooh Bear wrote:

I'm kind of assuming this is a troll given the obesity mentioned.

The possibility of a troll didn't occur to me. Mind you, I'm not used

thinking of weights in pounds, so I missed the obesity.

Such people should pay more for their tickets. How come I pay for

excess
baggage when this guy weighs more than my baggage and me put together?

How come we can pay significantly more for a 300-mile trip between two

small
markets than for a 3000-mile trip in a competitive city pair? Because
airline market imperatives dictate that the cost of a service and its

price
aren't always directly related.

The market works in funny ways!

Being factual, there's a fixed cost in 'passenger handling' not to mention

the
same for an aircraft.

I would expect short flights to be more expensive per mile than long haul.

Absolutely, but not by a factor of five or ten.

Airlines also need to fill seats and do so according to accountancy rules.

Eh? I don't know what "accountancy rules" means here, but it all boils down
to charging whatever the market will bear, and its corollary, not charging
what the market won't bear. Why don't they charge you for that first bag?
Because the market expects you not to, and won't pay for it if there is a
competitive alternative.

Seat availability is a big factor too on busy routes.

UK low cost airline EasyJet has made this their speciality. Book early and you
get a really cheap fare. Wait til the last few seats are left and you're paying
as much as any other airline.

Graham

Old November 23rd 04, 05:13 PM
gatt

Such people should pay more for their tickets. How come I pay for excess
baggage when this guy weighs more than my baggage and me put together?

They're talking about that in America. We're, um, bigger.

How come we can pay significantly more for a 300-mile trip between two

small
markets than for a 3000-mile trip in a competitive city pair?

I've heard that it's actually illegal and goes back to a law passed because
of a similar rate metric used by the railroad in the old days to gouge
ranchers in Texas. (It cost far more to go between two hops than it did to
go from one end of the line to the other.)

Apparently it was an issue here in Oregon many years back due to commuter
rates to rural areas being more expensive than service to SFO, SEA, etc.
Never heard how it resolved.

-c

Old November 23rd 04, 05:22 PM
Peter Cheeseman

"C. Osbourne" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would
really like to do some sleeping during the flights.

But somehow, I can't seem to get comfortable enough
to get to sleep. I'm 6'3" 280 lbs, and the tiny
seats are -very- uncomfortable after a few hours.
(can't afford 1st class)

Can anyone suggest a method or even proper drugs
I can use to get to sleep so the flights don't seem
so long?

1) Book an evening flight
2) Put in a full day's work
3) Have some food and a few drinks at the airport
4) A few more drinks on board
5) Pass out

Works every time.

PC

Old November 23rd 04, 06:09 PM
Bertie the Bunyip

C. Osbourne wrote:
Hi,

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would
really like to do some sleeping during the flights.

But somehow, I can't seem to get comfortable enough
to get to sleep. I'm 6'3" 280 lbs, and the tiny
seats are -very- uncomfortable after a few hours.
(can't afford 1st class)

Can anyone suggest a method or even proper drugs
I can use to get to sleep so the flights don't seem
so long?

Thanks for answering here...

Get your doctor to prescribe a mild sedative -

Read sme of Sylvia's posts.. .

Bertie
Old November 23rd 04, 06:11 PM
Bertie the Bunyip

Pooh Bear wrote in message ...
Sylvia Else wrote:

JohnT wrote:
"gatt" wrote in message

"C. Osbourne" wrote in message news:f_iod.134853$

Can anyone suggest a method or even proper drugs
I can use to get to sleep so the flights don't seem
so long?

Benadryl works great.

One time I flew to London on a 747 sandwiched between a French guy and a
fellow from Hong Kong, neither of whom spoke english. For the love of God.

Does that mean that you had to talk to them in French and Cantonese?

JohnT

No - it means that he was one of the very fortunate few who manage to
get through a seemingly interminable flight without having to indulge in
inane conversation with the person next to them.

I can see the possible issue.

For myself, however, I can say that I've had quite a few pleasant conversations on
long flights.

I'm willing to bet that your victims would disagree.

Bertei
Old November 23rd 04, 06:20 PM
Bertie the Bunyip

Pooh Bear wrote in message ...

Pooh Bear wrote:

I'm kind of assuming this is a troll given the obesity mentioned.

The possibility of a troll didn't occur to me. Mind you, I'm not used to
thinking of weights in pounds, so I missed the obesity.

Such people should pay more for their tickets. How come I pay for excess
baggage when this guy weighs more than my baggage and me put together?

How come we can pay significantly more for a 300-mile trip between two small
markets than for a 3000-mile trip in a competitive city pair? Because
airline market imperatives dictate that the cost of a service and its price
aren't always directly related.

This is true, but I rather suspect airlines would be happy to charge
obese people more, if the political (not commercial) backlash wouldn't
be so great.

They have no trouble charging for *excess baggage*. Maybe they'd like to carve a
slice off the rump of the obese pax and charge that too ?

Oh that wasn't nice. You'll urt Sylvia's feelings!

Bwawhahwhahwhahhwh!

Bertei
Old November 23rd 04, 06:34 PM
RobsSanta

Avoid alcohol - worst thing is do is drink and then sit on a long haul
flight. It dehydrates you faster and you end up feeling like cr*p at the
other end.

Rob

Old November 23rd 04, 09:31 PM
Morgans

"Thomas" wrote

Yeahy, don't sit next to me you fat *******.

You sir, (I use the term loosely) have the tact of a skunk.

I have no need of one of such cruel comments.

Plonk
--
Jim in NC

---