Adjusting the canopy frame on an Arcus M

Old January 7th 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Adjusting the canopy frame on an Arcus M

Hello All,

Our Arcus M canopy has always had a problem with proper closure and securement. Despite the passage of three years time, the problem is now better and worse not better. I have read all the advice and comments on a solution to this problem. The glider has been always hangared and cared for lovingly. We have had to abandon some flying days because of not being able to secure the canopy closed. We live in Michigan and have had problems on warm days, not just blistering hot days. The only solution seems to be sanding the canopy combing (frame), reducing the for and aft length of the frame.

Does anyone have any experience with this solution ? I have spoken to David Nadler who was most kind and who has had to do this himself to his Arcus before the "event". Heinz Weissenbuhler has been most kind as well.

All serious advice and recommendations will certainly be most graciously appreciated.

Sincerely,

Old January 7th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

I fly as a guest pilot in a friend's Arcus T which has a similar, and quite severe, issue. Closes fine in the hangar, but once the sun hits it the canopy will not close. What always works is draping wet cloth over it before it gets hot. Seems fine after that, even back on the ground for awhile (caution; remove cloth before flight!). If the frame-sanding option is ruled out, one thing you might seek expert council (Mr. Nadler?) is to increase the bevel of the bayonet locking bars where they engage the receiver pins on the gunwale. Factory bevel is about 45deg and may not provide enough leverage force to mate with the oval pin opening. Not sure if grinding the bayonet is kosher. The factory has not been real helpful, unfortunately.

Old January 8th 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

I fly as a guest pilot in a friend's Arcus T which has a similar, and quite severe, issue. Closes fine in the hangar, but once the sun hits it the canopy will not close. What always works is draping wet cloths over it before it gets hot. Seems fine after that, even back on the ground for awhile (caution; remove towels before flight!). If the frame-sanding option is ruled out, one thing you might seek expert council (Mr. Nadler?) on is to increase the bevel of the bayonet locking bars where they engage the receiver pins on the gunwale. Factory bevel is about 45deg and may not provide enough leverage force to mate with the oval pin opening. Not sure if grinding the bayonet is kosher. The ones on the Grob 103 have a long, more shallow taper. The factory has not been real helpful, unfortunately. Hmmm, yet it shares the same fuselage as the Duo Discus.
Old January 8th 19, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Be careful using the locking pins to leverage the canopy closed. I had one of the anchor pins in the fuselage of my Ventus pull out from the extreme stress of closing the canopy in Uvalde.
Old January 8th 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 6:10:15 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
I fly as a guest pilot in a friend's Arcus T which has a similar, and quite severe, issue. Closes fine in the hangar, but once the sun hits it the canopy will not close. What always works is draping wet cloths over it before it gets hot. Seems fine after that, even back on the ground for awhile (caution; remove towels before flight!). If the frame-sanding option is ruled out, one thing you might seek expert council (Mr. Nadler?) on is to increase the bevel of the bayonet locking bars where they engage the receiver pins on the gunwale. Factory bevel is about 45deg and may not provide enough leverage force to mate with the oval pin opening. Not sure if grinding the bayonet is kosher. The ones on the Grob 103 have a long, more shallow taper. The factory has not been real helpful, unfortunately. Hmmm, yet it shares the same fuselage as the Duo Discus.

I wouldn't suggest trying to force it closed.
Getting it wrong is about an $8000 mistake.
To find out where the interference is try slipping a narrow(about 1/2 inch wide) strip of paper between the canopy and the frame to find out where the interference is. It may not be where you think. That would provide some sense of where an experienced person might do a little sanding.
Been there- done that
Good luck
UH
Old January 8th 19, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 2:52:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Had that issue years ago on an older plastic glider in our club. I am not sure if this was the original canopy or already a replacement, that was just poorly fitted. Anyhow, we used strips of carbon copy paper (remember that stuff?) over the ledge and repeatedly closed and opened the canopy. The carbon left nice rubbings indicating where to sand off the interfering material.
I am not familiar with the Arcus design but it may work there as well.

Uli
'AS'
Old January 8th 19, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

[...]

I had a similar problem with my DG808C.
I made a bunch of modeling clay 25mm spaghettis (length), about 3mm diameter. I laid them transversely on the canopy opening and closed the canopy and latched it. On opening, I could see right away where the pinch was, and about how tight it was. Sand and repeat till it is uniform. 3 iterations of this did the job.

Hartley Falbaum
Old January 8th 19, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My 2¢...

Some sanding will be required.

Keeping the canopy open vs “closed and covered“ will help minimise the amount of heat in the canopy. This isn’t practical if you plan to grid early and wait some time before launch, but if you leave the hangar and tow down and then get ready to launch moderately quickly, keeping the canopy safely propped open works better. Think about how quickly the cockpit temperature skyrockets when you close the canopy waiting for the towplane to take up slack vs just sitting with the canopy open. Yes, open canopies can be broken so it’s not a perfect solution.
Old January 8th 19, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

A fellow pilot with an Arcus hit on an excellent solution and I'd mention his name but maybe he'd prefer not. He's probably reading this?

Take a stout pry bar along in the back seat and insert it under the left hand grab handle and then over the canopy frame cross bar that lies a couple inches in front of the grab handle. Prying up on the bar will allow the three locking pins to slide home.

Of course keeping the canopy as cool as possible helps. A white canopy cover is better than the common IR absorbing aluminum ones. If you have the latter, throw a white bed sheet over it.

Karl Striedieck

Old January 8th 19, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

$250k for a canopy that won't close. Daaaang.

2-32 Canopy Frame olddogcirrus Soaring 3 March 6th 12 05:25 PM
Wanted. ASK-13 sport canopy or frame Burt Compton - Marfa Soaring 0 February 14th 11 02:13 PM
WANTED: 1-26A, B or C Canopy frame Ted[_2_] Soaring 0 July 12th 08 09:50 AM
Cirrus canopy frame repair Louw Pieters Soaring 0 May 29th 04 06:09 AM
Need clean 1-26E canopy frame Robert de León Soaring 0 July 22nd 03 07:16 PM