Stars & Stripes "crash" in Florida

Old June 18th 05, 02:57 PM
Stubby

George Patterson wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

From the TV footage, it's hard to tell whether they were trying to
come down, or whether a down-draft drove them down, but they hit hard
and the crew was trapped inside the wreckage, briefly.

Witnesses said the aircraft came down tail first. Apparently they were
trying to climb.

Not clear. My understanding is the attitude of an airship is set by
small "ballonettes" with the gas bag. These are controlled by levers on
the ceiling of the pilot's area. It is not necessary to point the ship
up in order to climb because climbing is accomplished by dumping balast,
water or sand.

In fact the fans (engines) are used for steering, not for lift because
there are no wings. For that reason, a multi-engine certificate is not
required for the pilot.

My guess is they got into a microburst. This is an intense downdraft
following a thunderstorm. All aircraft should avoid flying near
thunderstorms.
Old June 18th 05, 05:59 PM
Icebound

"Stubby" wrote in message
George Patterson wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

From the TV footage, it's hard to tell whether they were trying to come
down, or whether a down-draft drove them down, but they hit hard and the
crew was trapped inside the wreckage, briefly.

Witnesses said the aircraft came down tail first. Apparently they were
trying to climb.

Not clear. My understanding is the attitude of an airship is set by
small "ballonettes" with the gas bag. These are controlled by levers on
the ceiling of the pilot's area. It is not necessary to point the ship up
in order to climb because climbing is accomplished by dumping balast,
water or sand.

I don't believe they dump anything anymore. The ballonettes are inflated
with outisde air to make the overall bag heavier for descent (air heavier
than helium), or deflated of regular-air to make the overall bag lighter for
ascent.

In fact the fans (engines) are used for steering, not for lift because
there are no wings.

Perhaps partially true, but the control surfaces at the tail do include
"elevators" whose purpose is to control the attitude when in forward flight,
and "rudder" to control "steering".

For that reason, a multi-engine certificate is not required for the pilot.

My guess is they got into a microburst. This is an intense downdraft
following a thunderstorm. All aircraft should avoid flying near
thunderstorms.

The most likely scenario.... and which would explain full forward thrust
with "up" elevator to try to climb through it.

Old June 19th 05, 02:58 AM

IIRC the engines on modern blimps swivel for vectored thrust. Perhaps
this particular blimp did not have that feature, but some do.

I grew up right off the runway at Akron (OH) Municipal Airport - where
the dirigibles were built (the old hangar is still there). It was also
a Naval Air Station in those days, and the Navy blimps (and Goodyear's
as well) were an almost daily sight. I observed them climbing at
extreme nose-up angles many times.

David Johnson

Old June 19th 05, 03:22 AM
George Patterson

Stubby wrote:

Not clear.

Yes, it is.

My understanding is the attitude of an airship is set by
small "ballonettes" with the gas bag. These are controlled by levers on
the ceiling of the pilot's area.

That's correct.

It is not necessary to point the ship
up in order to climb because climbing is accomplished by dumping balast,
water or sand.

They don't dump anything. They point the nose up and use the engine thrust to climb.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 19th 05, 04:23 AM
Skywise

George Patterson wrote in

Stubby wrote:

Not clear.

Yes, it is.

My understanding is the attitude of an airship is set by
small "ballonettes" with the gas bag. These are controlled by levers
on the ceiling of the pilot's area.

That's correct.

It is not necessary to point the ship
up in order to climb because climbing is accomplished by dumping
balast, water or sand.

They don't dump anything. They point the nose up and use the engine
thrust to climb.

Based solely on first hand observation, I agree.

Many years ago I was attending an airshow at Fullerton Mun. (KFUL)
and the Goodyear blimp did some passes as well as a touch & go. It
came in slow and mostly level. When it bounced on it's wheel, the
pilot pitched that thing to what appeared from us on the ground
seemingly under the thing as a 45 degree angle and powered those
engines right up to what was probably full power.

It 'flew' in the direction it was pointing and not 'floated'.

My not 100% educated guess would be that the blimp is trimmed to
neutral buoyancy just like a submarine. Then the engines and control
surfaces are used to 'fly' the vehicle.

I've got pics somewhere....

Brian

Blog: http://www.skywise711.com/Blog

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old June 19th 05, 04:51 AM
George Patterson

Skywise wrote:

My not 100% educated guess would be that the blimp is trimmed to
neutral buoyancy just like a submarine. Then the engines and control
surfaces are used to 'fly' the vehicle.

Either AOPA Pilot or Sport Aviation had an article on flying the things a year
or two back. From what I read there, you are correct; they try hard to achieve
neutral buoyancy.

Old June 19th 05, 09:15 PM
Icebound

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Skywise wrote:

My not 100% educated guess would be that the blimp is trimmed to
neutral buoyancy just like a submarine. Then the engines and control
surfaces are used to 'fly' the vehicle.

Either AOPA Pilot or Sport Aviation had an article on flying the things a
year or two back. From what I read there, you are correct; they try hard
to achieve neutral buoyancy.

To descend for landing, they do need to create a negative buoyancy.

They achieve whatever buoyancy then need by adding or removing outdoor-air
from internal "ballonets" (like bladders). Adding air makes the overall bag
heavier, removing air makes it lighter.

Old June 20th 05, 08:19 PM
Dave Butler

Jose wrote:
But it really was a nasty storm they were flying in.

What was a blimp doing flying in a thunderstorm?

About 20 knots.
Old June 21st 05, 01:53 AM
Jose

What was a blimp doing flying in a thunderstorm?

About 20 knots.

Right. In all directions at once.

Jose
--