Ugh. Flight trace didn't download off FLARM brick

Old June 9th 15, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kurt Thams

Default Ugh. Flight trace didn't download off FLARM brick

After a sweet flight, I get home to discover that the flight trace did not copy onto the USB stick.

Do I need to bring a computer with me to the airport to check each time before I leave the glider that the trace made it?
Old June 9th 15, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

If it works the same as the original Swiss Flarm or the LX Red Box then the
traces download at startup.

So at the end of the day you need to shut the Flarm down, start it up (to
download your trace) then shut it down again

And if you've got a blank memory stick it will download all the traces,
which may take a while!

KN

Old June 9th 15, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

Try again, making sure that it has been switched off for 5++ minutes before
restarting of it may not detect end of flight, and so not download as
flight is still in progress.

Tim.

Old June 10th 15, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kurt Thams

Hmmm... pretty sure it had been powered off for at least 5 minutes.

I put the stick in, powered up, waited about 5 minutes, powered down, and removed the stick. There has been a total of about 10 flights on this device, so not lots to download.

When I got home and looked at the memory stick, I found my previous flights, but not the one from yesterday.

Old June 10th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 12:03:23 PM UTC-4, Kurt Thams wrote:
After a sweet flight, I get home to discover that the flight trace
did not copy onto the USB stick.

Do I need to bring a computer with me to the airport to check
each time before I leave the glider that the trace made it?

1) Most common cause of problems writing to USB stick is partially
corrupted stick, usually caused by pulling stick out of PC without
"ejecting", or pulling stick out of a device while stick is being
written to. Winbloze is more tolerant of partial corruption than
any embedded device (loggers etc). Reformat your stick and try again.

2) Any capable FLARM display device, SN10 for example one of dozens,
will give you progress reports writing to the stick. This will give
you confirmation that the file is copied prior leaving the glider.

No, you do not need a PC at the aerodrome...

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

Old June 10th 15, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
howard banks

I had the same problem and followed Dave Nadler's kindly provided advice. Worked like a charm and Flarm downloads now back to normal ...
Thanks Dave.

Old June 10th 15, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Kurt,

I also have an S(V)7 and it doesn't show anything about the transfer process on the Flarm USB port. There is a multi-color LED on the core device that remains red or blinks until the data output is complete, it then turn green and begins normal operation.

In my case the FlarmCore is behind the panel and I can't see the LED, so I just wait until the Flarm symbol appears on the S7 screen, then I know the Flarm is in full operation and the data transfer is complete.

Mike
Old June 10th 15, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 12:15:03 AM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:
... I just wait until the Flarm symbol appears on the S7 screen,
then I know the Flarm is in full operation and the data transfer is complete.

If your stick is corrupted, you'll see the same thing...
Contact LX and get them to provide the status messages;
IIRC its in the "mandatory" list of FLARM features
3rd party displays are expected to support...

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave