ASW-12 Proto Question

Old March 16th 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW-12 Proto Question

Flying the 12 was never a problem. It is very docile,much like the AS-
W17. It did give me "aileron elbow" due to the large, powerful
ailerons. It was easy to fling about like a 15m ship but you paid for
it. I asked Wil Schuemann how he dealt with the issue and he said
"don't turn". Wisdom.

I have never been more "awake" than when landing the 12. Holding a
rudder-stalled, nose-high slip down through the flair was nerve
wracking. The only thing worse was not doing so.

I appreciate the design philosophy of all-out performance that
inspired a passionate young designer to build such a machine. The
Concordia with its leading edge technology and design, its balsa core
and planked fuselage is very reminiscent of the 12.

Old March 17th 11, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

I've done quite a few no-spoiler spot landings in my ASW-15B and have
always sort of wondered how the experience would compare to attempting
the same thing in a 12. I've always had a soft spot for the 12 and
occasionally dream of buying S/N 12015 if she ever comes up for sale.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that in "The Sunship Game" Wally
Scott's 12 seems to be one of the few gliders that DOESN'T get banged
up at least a little bit?
Old June 11th 15, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

FYI:

The type certificate and the Data Plate both cite the model as
AS W-12

not ASW 12 or AS-W 12

The trailer Bob had is identical (Except for the doors and the antenna rigging on the JR trailer) to mine which is pretty much stock as it was built.

Rick Paquette
AS W12 SN 12002