ASW-12 Proto Question

Old March 16th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_16_]

Default ASW-12 Proto Question

On Mar 15, 4:17*pm, Steve Leonard wrote:
Sorry about my mistake in the ID, Mark. *I am sure that sort of thing
grates on some people just like poor Harland Ross suffering through
people calling his R-6 "The RJ-6".

And, yes, Andy. *The prototype AS-W 12 (or ASW12) is in the Soaring
Museum at the Wasserkuppe. *Right next to D-36 V2, Glasflugel BS1
serial 3, and I bleive there is also a Phoenix near by.

My question stems from two gliders and two trailers and how I suspect
the gliders traded trailers, so the trailer that is still here use to
house the original 12. *And trying to make sure the trailer gets
preserved and not chopped up for holding another plane.

As to it being "a mistake of my youth", Gerhard, you are forgiven.
The sailplane was built for all out performance. *The glide path
variation issue has been resolved by creative owners and probably some
help from Schleicher, so all is good.

Steve Leonard

Steve;

I am the one who sent AS-W12 serial number 12001 to Germany. Wally
Scott was the original U. S. owner of this sailplane. My dad was the
second U. S. owner. The trailer that Wally transferred to my dad is, I
am sure, the one it came to the U. S. in. It had a cover of
'rubberized canvas' and the tongue of the trailer was mounted at the
end with the large opening. Rigging or derigging therefore required
unhooking the trailer from the vehicle, so the fuselage and wings
could come through the large opening end.

Another AS-W12 owner (whose name I can't quite conjure up right now)
had modified a trailer of the same type as the one described above.
The 'rubberized canvas' had been replaced with aluminum sheeting, and
the tongue had been moved to the small end of the trailer. I was
living in Georgia from 1992 to 1998 and I believe it was during that
time that my dad and the other owner swapped trailers (I assume some
cash was involved). Serial number 12001 was delivered to Long Beach
harbor in this modified trailer, where it went on a cargo ship, and
eventually found its' way to the Schleicher factory.

Edgar Kremer was the head of the Schleicher factory at that time. He
saw to it that the ship was restored in a most beautiful way. Perhaps
because he did about 90% of the original construction on her, made the
first and initial flights in her, and I believe was her owner for a
while.

I have a picture of the two trailers mentioned above, sitting side by
side, at Mojave I think.

I had the honor of meeting Edgar and Gerhard at the Wasserkuppe,
having dinner, getting a guided tour of the museum, going to the local
monastery and having a good German beer. What a great memory.

I also know from very, very reliable sources the story of how the
AS-12 came to be known as the AS-W12, and all subsequent Schleicher
designs have had a letter designation for the designer. Would you like
to hear the story?

Jack Gravance
Old March 16th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/15/2011 7:21 PM, Jack wrote:

I also know from very, very reliable sources the story of how the
AS-12 came to be known as the AS-W12, and all subsequent Schleicher
designs have had a letter designation for the designer. Would you like
to hear the story?

Jack Gravance

I would, and I hope includes mention that some earlier gliders, like
Ka-6 and Ka-7, also had the "designer designator" in them.

email me)
Old March 16th 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Mar 15, 8:12*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 3/15/2011 7:21 PM, Jack wrote:

I also know from very, very reliable sources the story of how the
AS-12 came to be known as the AS-W12, and all subsequent Schleicher
designs have had a letter designation for the designer. Would you like
to hear the story?

Jack Gravance

I would, and I hope includes mention that some earlier gliders, like
Ka-6 and Ka-7, also had the "designer designator" in them.

email me)

All well documented in the book Rhon Adler.
check it out.
it was written to document the first 75 years of Schleicher.
Also Jan Scott sells a CD of the translation.
Dan
AS-W 20
WO
Old March 16th 11, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek C

On Mar 15, 9:36*pm, JS wrote:
* Didn't one person think that glider would best be dealt with using a
box of matches?
I witnessed the rebuild from paint scrapers and a belt sander to
rigging and blasting up the Sierra Nevada.
Couldn't believe it when Gerhard referred to the design as "a mistake
of my youth".

A slippery high performance glider with no airbrakes that relies on
tailchutes to stop it has to be a mistake by Mr Waibel!
Old March 16th 11, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

I don't think it was a mistake by Herr Waibel. Perhaps he was pressed
by Marketing to create a glider that "Just Doesn't Want to Come Down."

Surely any pilot who had flown it would respond with such a phrase
after flying it.

-Kevin
Old March 16th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Mar 16, 12:17*am, Derek C wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:36*pm, JS wrote: * Didn't one person think that glider would best be dealt with using a
box of matches?
I witnessed the rebuild from paint scrapers and a belt sander to
rigging and blasting up the Sierra Nevada.
Couldn't believe it when Gerhard referred to the design as "a mistake
of my youth".

A slippery high performance glider with no airbrakes that relies on
tailchutes to stop it has to be a mistake by Mr Waibel!

I wondered how difficult it would have been to design and build the
linkage for the flaps to go +60 degrees.
Old March 16th 11, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

There was a flap mod for the 12. From my recollection of trying to
adjust for the claimed maximum positive flap, things got asymmetrical.
You may need to settle for a partial improvement in landing flaps.
Jim

Old March 16th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Rhon Adler is a great book.

I sell it and the English translation (printed) he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books.../RhonAdler.htm

I have read the book, but I don't remember the part about the AS-W12
designation.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 16th 11, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/15/2011 11:17 PM, Derek C wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:36 pm, wrote:
Didn't one person think that glider would best be dealt with using a
box of matches?
I witnessed the rebuild from paint scrapers and a belt sander to
rigging and blasting up the Sierra Nevada.
Couldn't believe it when Gerhard referred to the design as "a mistake
of my youth".

A slippery high performance glider with no airbrakes that relies on
tailchutes to stop it has to be a mistake by Mr Waibel!

I recall Gerhard saying that the ASW12 taught him a lesson
(paraphrasing): "Every high performance ship will sooner or later be
bought by a lower performance pilot, and that is the pilot you must
design for, not just the very best ones". He apparently learned well,
and went on to bring us some very high performance ship the "the rest of
us" could easily fly.

email me)
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz