Orange markers on the glider. Paint or stickers?

Old May 29th 15, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Philip van de Donk

Default Orange markers on the glider. Paint or stickers?

Coming winter I am planning to have my ASH-26E repainted (in Acryl + clearcoat or PU) as its' gelcoat is gradually coming to the end of its life. I want to combine this with the regular engine maintenance, solar panel installation on the engine doors etc.

I currently have orange markings on the glider in the form of stickers.

At the refinish I want to have the orange markers back on. However I am still in doubt whether to have them painted or have stickers again. My worry is that when you have them painted, that the color will wear out and that I need to have the glider repainted on those spots.

I know that stickers do have a limited lifespan but those are easily replaced when the colors start to fade.

But painting is tempting now that I plan to have the entire glider repainted anyway.

So what is your experience with painting of orange markers? How long will the colors last and what method/paint did you use?
When painting, any tips on how to prolong the life of the colors?
What method do you recommend? Stickers or paint?

Of course the degradation of the colors is dependent on the amount of UV the glider is exposed to. So I give an indiction of UV exposure for my glider.. It is in the trailer when not flying, with the exception of some weeks of mountain flying/competition flying where I keep my glider rigged and keep them in the covers. The trailer is in the hangar most of the time.
Old May 29th 15, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 3:30:32 AM UTC-4, Philip van de Donk wrote:
[...]

if the orange is PU it's not going to fade. as for wearing it away, use the proper polishing wheel/compound, and you won't eat the markings up over time.
Old June 5th 15, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Any polyurethane worth it's salt if properly applied wont' wear out for a very long time. If you want the markings permanent make them polyurethane. Adhesive markings would be good if you think you may sell the ship in the future to someone who may not want them (or, if exported, it goes to a country where the airworthiness doesn't allow them - I've seen a few glider type certificates which still have the "must be white all over except for national registration marks" in them with no provision for additional coloured markings and seen this interpreted by officials as meaning the markings are prohibited!)
Old June 5th 15, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Kellett

On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 3:30:32 AM UTC-4, Philip van de Donk wrote:

At the refinish I want to have the orange markers back on.

This would be a good opportunity to leave the orange markings off. Many years back, there was a study in the UK by the Cranfield Institute that confirmed that the orange "anti-collision" markings so popular actually made the glider LESS conspicuous!
Old June 5th 15, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

Donk wrote:

At the refinish I want to have the orange markers back on.

This would be a good opportunity to leave the orange

markings off. Many
years back, there was a study in the UK by the Cranfield

Institute that
confirmed that the orange "anti-collision" markings so

popular actually
made the glider LESS conspicuous!

But wasn't this Cranfield study done with dumpy motor gliders?
Falke, Grob 109, which are (relatively) easy to see? Without
anti-collision markings you cannot fly at any French gliding
site. Hard to imagine that many Alpine pilots think they would
be more visible without their day-glo orange markers!

Old June 6th 15, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

I have purchased the "security fluorescent red paint" and the clear top coat from Schempp Hirth. My cross country mates tell me they can see my glider from far off before they can see other gliders with red or orange markings on their gliders. There is something about this specific security paint that works very well.

Forget what the UK study says. Once I was flying with eight other gliders near the Grand Paradiso mountain (the Alps) against the rocks covered with snow. We were all pushed in tightly because of dense cloud cover at this altitude. the only gliders I could spot immediately were those that had the security markings on their gliders. The others I could only spot when very close. Too close for comfort. Tense situation. Made a believer out of me.

Again, not all paint types, even if they appear red or orange will have the visibility that this security paint has. Highly recommended. I have tried the security red foil and was not nearly as happy with it. It also takes much more skill to apply without wrinkles and still have the problem of tough edges with the foil.
Old June 8th 15, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Philip van de Donk

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 12:21:57 PM UTC+2, Jim Kellett wrote:
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 3:30:32 AM UTC-4, Philip van de Donk wrote:

At the refinish I want to have the orange markers back on.

This would be a good opportunity to leave the orange markings off. Many years back, there was a study in the UK by the Cranfield Institute that confirmed that the orange "anti-collision" markings so popular actually made the glider LESS conspicuous!

This is not an option as I often fly in France where orange markers are mandatory. I also believe if it improves visibility by only 5% then it is worthwile to put them on.

Had such an experience only yesterday when a glider approached me head-on. It had the markers on the wings, and I had just spotted it in time to perform evasive action. It was already a little too close for comfort. Without the markers on its' wings, I would have spotted it later and I rather don't like to think of what might have happened then.....
Old June 8th 15, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have to agree that having the high visibility markings help with making the glider stand out more in comparison to all white. Even if it is a marginal improvement, I'll gladly take it.
I've been looking into adding some high visibility markings for my glider here in the US. I know there's the paint previously mentioned from SH and others, as well as the the 3M foil available online from some online sailplane supply stores in Europe. Any pros/cons to using paint or the stickers (other than the removal or application already mentioned)?
I've tried to find a matching 3M product here in the US as the 3M foil I've seen online in Europe but can't. Anyone found a similar/comparable product in the US? The closest I've found is a 3M Scotchcal highly fluorescent vinyl sticker that seems to be same thickness as is used for contest and registration numbers.

Old June 9th 15, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...+8696057&rt=r3

Old June 9th 15, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 12:13:19 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 6:59:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I've tried to find a matching 3M product here in the US as the 3M foil I've seen online in Europe but can't.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...+8696057&rt=r3

Thanks, I've seen that before but I think that is typically used on emergency vehicles and is much thicker.

I found this, but it is only available in Europe:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...94529203&rt=c3

I've found this that I can order here, whcih seems to be the same:
http://www.advantagesgs.com/3M-8482-...-15-x-10-yards

I'm just wondering if anyone has found or used something similar here in the US that didn't require buying 10 yards of it... Worst case scenario I buy a roll and share it with others...

Glider Paint Question km Soaring 4 January 28th 12 12:40 AM
Birds as Lift Markers Bart[_4_] Soaring 0 August 22nd 10 09:52 PM
New Gelcoat / Paint on a Glider? Thiemo Gorath Soaring 3 June 13th 07 06:16 AM
Bumper Stickers/T-Shirts Nyal Williams Soaring 1 October 23rd 05 07:27 PM
Glider Car Stickers For Sale Peter Soaring 1 March 30th 05 12:05 AM