Orange markers on the glider. Paint or stickers?

Old June 9th 15, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick[_5_]

Default Orange markers on the glider. Paint or stickers?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/The-differ...2950459/g.html

There are different types of vinyls.
Old June 9th 15, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 9:56:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I've found this that I can order here, whcih seems to be the same:
http://www.advantagesgs.com/3M-8482-...-15-x-10-yards

You're right. Scotchcal is a much better choice, especially because it needs no adhesive to adhere. When the color fades, peel it off and replace it.. No penalty for experimentation.

I was poking around using the search terms 'daylight conspicuity' and found some research on motorcycle conspicuity. (Motorcycle has roughly the same silhouette as a glider fuselage flying straight at you.) Some results show that orange works because of contrast with the background (apt for the French Alps), whereas yellow works by brightness/luminosity (shows less contrast with background). The orange areas need to be large to be effective (entire orange jacket opposed to orange tape on fenders). This suggests that glider markings need to be large. I wonder if two orange wingtips would be a lot more effective than a single orange nosecone. I wonder if orange Scotchcal on the entire leading edge of the wing would be more visible (and whether the edge of the film would increase drag... like bugs).

There was some research in the UK that applying 'mirror film' to ailerons such that they work like 'signal mirrors' in direct sunlight make a glider on short final more visible to aircraft that were flying faster and behind it on final. Seems like the 'signal mirror' effect would work in other scenarios if the mirror film were applied to the rudder. The intermittant glints of reflected sun would be conspicuious and not annoying. The drawback is that the mirror film uses adhesive.

The scenario of two gliders 180 opposed and converging under a cloud street or landing/taking_off on opposing runways might be best addressed by a forward facing white LED strobe such as http://www.vehiclesafetysupply.com/p...ite-p-412.html (assuming Experimental Airworthiness). The low light levels near cloud base makes a strobe more effective as does a narrow forward focus. Only one glider needs a strobe.

Retroreflective tape might somewhat increase conspicuity in lower light like under a cloud street, but the thickness and the adhesive are drawbacks.

To increase glider conspicuity to overtaking aircraft one might easily affix one of the newer streamline self-contained strobing LED lithium battery bicycle lights tail to the top of a T-tail. No wiring needed.
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/art...cycling-32289/ Similar mass and mounting technique to a Go Pro.

Then there is the scenario where you see another glider, but you're not sure that he see you (say opposing flight on a ridge). Flashing an extra bright forward facing strobe a few times might have some value. Ideally, the opposing pilot flashes his strobe to acknowledge.

I'm hoping to get feedback on these ideas before I impliment any of them.

I'd like to see universal installation of Powerflarm, but until then...
Old June 9th 15, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ya know, I saw a glider recently that had a built-in strobe strip in the
leading edge of the vertical fin. I don't remember the model of glider,
but I thought it was a terrific idea.

--
Dan Marotta

Old June 9th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 9:05:55 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Ya know, I saw a glider recently that had a built-in strobe strip in
the leading edge of the vertical fin.* I don't remember the model of
glider, but I thought it was a terrific idea.

On 6/9/2015 9:35 AM, son_of_flubber

The ASH31Mi has that, I believe as an option (Mitch Polinski has them on his ship). Nicely done, faired in smoothly so no drag penalty. But, as with canopies, the acrylic lens is bonded to the rudder, so there's no easy way to repair should that ever be required.

Old June 10th 15, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I believe Jon Gatfield's strobe in his 27's fin was linked to his Flarm
which set it off when a threat was detected.

Old June 10th 15, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Simon Waddell[_2_]

LXNav supply a control unit to provide such a function:
http://www.lxnav.com/accessories/flarm-acl.html.

I don't know where to purchase a suitable strobe unit, but LXNav may be
able to advise.

At the Swiss gliding conference at the end of last year I saw a prototype
of a complete system, including control unit, where the strobe unit was
designed to fit inside the bottom front of the canopy. Had five or six
LEDs and up close it would melt your eyeballs. I've mislaid the
details....

Simon

Old June 10th 15, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Simon Waddell[_2_]

Here's the link to description of the canopy mounted strobe light; the same
company also provides a fuselage-mounted version and a controller:
http://www.aboba.ch/FLARM-Display-an...Haubenblitzer/

Simon

Old June 10th 15, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Schleicher, offers the built in strobes as an option when purchasing a new glider. LX sella a unit for 250 euro that will light the strobe up like a Christmas tree when interrogated by a Flarm. There is no aerodynamic cost for this installation and a huge reward in visibility. Believe it or not, some opt not to order this option.

Glider Paint Question km Soaring 4 January 28th 12 12:40 AM
Birds as Lift Markers Bart[_4_] Soaring 0 August 22nd 10 09:52 PM
New Gelcoat / Paint on a Glider? Thiemo Gorath Soaring 3 June 13th 07 06:16 AM
Bumper Stickers/T-Shirts Nyal Williams Soaring 1 October 23rd 05 07:27 PM
Glider Car Stickers For Sale Peter Soaring 1 March 30th 05 12:05 AM