Another reason to fly yourself

Old December 16th 05, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another reason to fly yourself

In rec.aviation.owning George Patterson wrote:
: Jay Honeck wrote:

: When you contrast those days with the Russian Aeroflot model we've come to
: emulate (just think -- we used to make fun of them!) since then, it is to
: weep.

: Maybe if you didn't have to pay for the tickets back then. Airfare from
: Knoxville to New York then and now costs over $700.

Yes! Back in 1977 (after my parent's divorce) my little brother & I flew
on all the great airlines from Boston to Tampa. You know, Eastern, People
Express, Piedmont... The tix were about $1200 round trip, each, for one
8-year old and one 4-year old. No non-stops. I think it took 8 hours
door-to-door for many flights (but forgive me if my memory is not perfect;
after all, I was 8 years old).
--
Aaron C
Old December 16th 05, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Paul kgyy wrote:
"American Eagle said Thursday it will charge $1 each for a can of soda
and a bag of cashews on flights into and out of Los Angeles next month."

Why? Are you only charging $0.50 to your customers?

runs away laughing

Old December 16th 05, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

three-eight-hotel wrote:

attentive stewards and stewardesses

in my Beavis and Butthead chuckle - hehh, hehhh, you said
"stewardesses"... :-))

or is it flight ascendants.

Old December 17th 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Yes! Back in 1977 (after my parent's divorce) my little brother & I flew
on all the great airlines from Boston to Tampa. You know, Eastern, People
Express, Piedmont... The tix were about $1200 round trip, each, for one
8-year old and one 4-year old. No non-stops. I think it took 8 hours
door-to-door for many flights (but forgive me if my memory is not perfect;
after all, I was 8 years old).

I'm not sure I'd lump "People's Express" and "Piedmont" under the banner of
"Great Airlines."

Truly great airlines were Pan Am, TWA, United, and American. By '77 they
had already sown their seeds of decline, although no one knew it at the
time.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 17th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In article %aUof.652255$xm3.217070@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Yes! Back in 1977 (after my parent's divorce) my little brother & I flew
on all the great airlines from Boston to Tampa. You know, Eastern, People
Express, Piedmont... The tix were about $1200 round trip, each, for one
8-year old and one 4-year old. No non-stops. I think it took 8 hours
door-to-door for many flights (but forgive me if my memory is not perfect;
after all, I was 8 years old).

I'm not sure I'd lump "People's Express" and "Piedmont" under the banner of
"Great Airlines."

People's Express and Piedmont might have treated an 8-year old and a 4-year old
pretty well (especially if travelling without an adult).

--
Bob Noel
New NHL? what a joke

Old December 17th 05, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I'm not sure I'd lump "People's Express" and "Piedmont" under the banner

of
"Great Airlines."

Piedmont, while not far reaching, and not large, had some of the best
service, most reliable and comfortable in this area of the US. Many cried
when it was snapped up by useless air.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 18th 05, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I'm not sure I'd lump "People's Express" and "Piedmont" under the banner

of
"Great Airlines."

Piedmont, while not far reaching, and not large, had some of the best
service, most reliable and comfortable in this area of the US. Many cried
when it was snapped up by useless air.
--
Jim in NC

Piedmont will make something of a comeback in the next year or sot...

The new US Airways (or old America West if you prefer...) is going to paint
up four aircraft in their original livery of:

-America West
-US Airways
-PSA
-Piedmont

Now if we could just get Piedmont back on a race car...

Jay B

Old December 18th 05, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

The new US Airways (or old America West if you prefer...) is going to
paint up four aircraft in their original livery of:

-America West
-US Airways
-PSA
-Piedmont

Why? Some sort of commemoration or anniversary?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 18th 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.owning Bob Noel wrote:

: People's Express and Piedmont might have treated an 8-year old and a 4-year old
: pretty well (especially if travelling without an adult).

We were traveling without an adult. We got little plastic "wings" with the
airline's logo, to let the crew know we were alone. One of the crew brought
us to the next airplane on each airplane change.

I forgot Delta, which was my favorite airline for many years. Their 1970's
logo on the vertical stabilizer of their 727-200's was a thing of beauty.
--
Aaron C.
Old December 18th 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The new US Airways (or old America West if you prefer...) is going to
paint up four aircraft in their original livery of:

-America West
-US Airways
-PSA
-Piedmont

Why? Some sort of commemoration or anniversary?
--
Jay Honeck

US Airways' family tree:

http://www.usairways.com/about/corpo...ny_history.htm