Cool or sick?

Old October 23rd 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Cool or sick?

http://lang.dailynews.com/socal/gall...1806_halloween

I can't decide...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 23rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but I'm wondering what message he's
trying to send.

As an A&P is he saying flying isn't safe due to poor maintenance?
Is he trying to say to passengers "you have no control, you should feel
vulnerable when you fly?"
Is he trying to raise public awareness of some safety issue?

Since I can't figure it out, I'll stand on the side of "sick" for the reason
that he takes a form of public transportation that most people trust the
representatives of that company with their lives and then says "this is what
can happen to you if you fly".

I understand Halloween displays that say "this is what can happen if you
drink and drive" or "this is your brain on drugs", but I don't see this one
as a public service announcement.

As far as "cool", I think it would be cool if he had an airplane "parked" in
his yard. "Pilot lands safely in residence front yard, no reported
injuries." Yeah, you loose the gore factor, but you raise allot less
questions about your motive.

Jim

oups.com...

Old October 23rd 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Since I can't figure it out, I'll stand on the side of "sick" for the reason
that he takes a form of public transportation that most people trust the
representatives of that company with their lives and then says "this is what
can happen to you if you fly".

Now you understand my question.

Personally, I can't decide whether I'm being hypersensitive to this, as
a pilot who has grown skittish about public scorn toward aviation, or
whether it really IS sick -- but I think it's sick, too.

On the other hand, I find most of the "hand sticking up out of the
ground" Halloween/grave-yard stuff to be sick, so maybe it's just me?
I've got plenty of friends who have gone to great lengths to scare
people, under the guise of "it's only Halloween"...which I find goofy.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 23rd 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

I think this is a different kind of sick than the hand up out of the grave
yard type stuff. Even the screwballs walking around with fake hatchets in
their heads and fake blood dripping down their faces doesn't bother me...
sick? yep... but in a erie spooky kind of way where everything is anonymous
and we all know that the chances of that happening to us or those we know
are way below minimal.

On the other hand, we all fly. All of our families fly. All of our friends
fly. We all accept a certain amount of risk whenever we get aboard an
airplane, but we also feel a large amount of trust in the airline, the
pilot, the company, and the "system". I get the feeling that this guy is
saying that it could happen to any of us and that we shouldn't trust
something or somebody in aviation. It seems that he's saying that once we
get on that plane we no longer hold our fate in our hands and we simply
can't pull over and get out, which of course is true, but to victimize the
vulnerable isn't a Halloween joke, it's a perverse and weird kind of sick.
In a way, I think these are the same reasons that the media take such
perverse pleasure in exploiting every plane crash to the maximum.

Jim

ups.com...

Old October 23rd 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Since I can't figure it out, I'll stand on the side of "sick" for the
reason
that he takes a form of public transportation that most people trust the
representatives of that company with their lives and then says "this is
what
can happen to you if you fly".

Now you understand my question.

I think it was more of a case of a guy who had some plane wreckage and a
really cool idea and didn't even bother to think through all of those
issues.
Unless he, say, read the usenet and was aware of all the different hangups
people have, it might not have ever occured to him. Halloween as millions of
people celebrate it is ABOUT creeping people out; mocking death, the devil,
things that scare us, whatever.

Most horror movies are about innocent people--women and teenagers,
mainly--being terrorized, tortured, murdered and hacked up in all sorts of
sadistic ways. Teenagers--the ones most often portrayed as the victims--eat
the stuff up. There's generally not much discussion of whether the director
had a grudge against kids or some other ulterior motive.

I forwarded the photo to a friend of mine who did a very similar thing with
some various junk, except instead of a plane wreck he had a UFO crash and
dead aliens scattered in his yard. Much better idea and far less likely to
offend. -c

Old October 23rd 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

I forwarded the photo to a friend of mine who did a very similar thing
with
some various junk, except instead of a plane wreck he had a UFO crash and
dead aliens scattered in his yard. Much better idea and far less likely

offend. -c

Now THAT is a more cool idea. Nobody has much sympathy for aliens.

Jim

Old October 23rd 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
news
Maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but I'm wondering what message
he's
trying to send.

As an A&P

"As an A&P"? Who is an A&P? You? Or the guy who made the Halloween
display?

is he saying flying isn't safe due to poor maintenance?

No.

Is he trying to say to passengers "you have no control, you should feel
vulnerable when you fly?"

No.

Is he trying to raise public awareness of some safety issue?

No.

Since I can't figure it out, I'll stand on the side of "sick" for the
reason
that he takes a form of public transportation that most people trust the
representatives of that company with their lives and then says "this is
what
can happen to you if you fly".

It *can* happen to you if you fly. But even if it couldn't, so what? I see
lots of stuff during Halloween that isn't possible.

I understand Halloween displays that say "this is what can happen if you
drink and drive" or "this is your brain on drugs",

You do? I have never seen a Halloween display made with that intent.
Perhaps you could point me to a few so we can understand what you mean.

but I don't see this one as a public service announcement.

I've never seen a Halloween display intended as a PSA.

As far as "cool", I think it would be cool if he had an airplane "parked"
in
his yard. "Pilot lands safely in residence front yard, no reported
injuries." Yeah, you loose the gore factor, but you raise allot less
questions about your motive.

Uh...well, an airplane safely parked in the front yard wouldn't have
anything to do with Halloween. The "gore factor" is the whole point.

You DO understand what Halloween celebrates, don't you? Your post implies
that you don't.

Pete

Old October 23rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://lang.dailynews.com/socal/gall...1806_halloween

I can't decide...

Firstly, you need to get with the times. These days, "cool" and "sick" are
synonyms.

Seriously though, I think the display fits right in with the spirit of
Halloween, and see it as no more "sick" than any other Halloween display.
It definitely qualifies for "cool" with respect to the effort and care put
into creating it. The question of "sick" is in the eye of the beholder. If
you don't care for Halloween generally, then I suppose you wouldn't care for
the display either.

But that's more about one's opinion of Halloween than it is about that
specific display. In the context of Halloween, I see nothing wrong with the
display.

Pete

Old October 24th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

It would be even neater if they could kid-proof it so kids could go through
it.

But, IMO, it's pretty cool.

mike

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 24th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
-----------much snipping-------------

You DO understand what Halloween celebrates, don't you? Your post implies
that you don't.

Pete

Actually, that's a very good point; because I am not at all sure what
Halloween now celebrates.

OTOH, I do know what it did celebrate. As a refresher, at the time of the
conversion from paganism Christianity in Europe, Halloween (All Hallows
'een) was a costume festival held on the evening before All Saints Day.
People dressed up to represent the old pagan deities, who were then fed
(given food) to appease then for the comming year.

Therefore, most of the costumes of mythical characters are not too far
afield.

But the guy with the plane crash scene is just plain wrong; and I have
nothing kind to say about PSA displays at Halloween either.

Peter