Things I Have Learned As First Time Buyer/Owner (long)

Old April 15th 04, 05:05 PM
Martin Kosina

I am an electronics
engineer by trade I am not comfortable paying $80.00 to have a $3.00 part
replaced but way better than paying $1,800 for a new audio panel.

You will save most in airplane ownership if you do initial
troubleshooting yourself. Avionics and A&P shops make most money by
quickly turning around customers, unfortunatelly this is best done by
shot-gun parts swapping as opposed to systematic troubleshooting. Most
people say they want the latter approach, but in the end are not
willing to pay for the time, so its easier to just order a new part,
mark it up a bit, charge for couple hours of labor and you are out the
door. I couldn't afford to own an airplane in such hands-off mode, so
I try to diagnose problems myself, then steer the shop in the general
direction. (Of course there are things I simply don't understand and
have to rely on someone else's expertise, like major engine work, for
example).
Electrical problems can be pesky and beware that most A&Ps don't have
the patience to diagnose them correctly. As an EE, you are probably
more qualified on those types of repairs. It is important to use the
correct mil-spec materials however (wire, terminals, breakers, etc),
if only for the sake of resale condition.

Finally, aviation maintenance on small GA airplanes is not rocket
science, so "Never assume nefarious intent when simple incompetence
suffices as an explanation". (saw this great sig somewhere, author
unknown). Couple bizjets parked in the hangar are not a guarantee of
perfect work either (they do however guarantee higher bill :-)

Good luck, sounds like you have the right overall attitude, you are
right its a learning process. Annuals are another topic I could say "I
learned about flying from that", but that's another discussion...
Old April 19th 04, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

You live and learn right, I think I found a shop that is highly respected
&
fits my service standards but most everyone says they are to expensive not
really if you think about it.

The aviation field is incredibly fluid in this regard. Worse, just because
you think you have found the "right" shop for you means nothing when they
change ownership overnight.

My plane was painted by a very reputable paint shop ten years ago -- and the
paint still looks like new. Now, that paint shop is known far and wide as a
rip off shop, because the new owners are making a habit of screwing their
customers.

Things change. Be vigilant. When it comes to spending money, trust no
one -- or be prepared to lose it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA