wing levelers

Old March 14th 05, 08:34 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dale Larsen wrote:

As I see it, accelerometers and GPS together are all that's needed. If the
vectors from all 3 accelerometers are in the right direction, and the
average GPS heading is not moving much- you're straight and level.

Ron-Using accelerometers in 3d space will soon become inaccurate due to
small errors in the accelerometers, math rounding errors and drift. How do
you propose to 'erect' such a device to keep the shiny side up?

Add a VG.... let's see the second integral....
OK, too complicated...keep a cat in the cockpit, periodically drop it on
the floor, since cats always land feet first.....
No, cats tend to get cranky when you do that.....

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 15th 05, 01:50 AM
Ron Webb

Ron-Using accelerometers in 3d space will soon become inaccurate due to
small errors in the accelerometers, math rounding errors and drift. How
do you propose to 'erect' such a device to keep the shiny side up?

The only constant acceleration is the acceleration of gravity. A "leaky
integrator" with a 2 or 3 second Tau should work fine.

If it can be done mechanically, it can be done electronically.

Old March 16th 05, 08:57 AM
Roger

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:50:34 -0900, "Ron Webb"
wrote:

Ron-Using accelerometers in 3d space will soon become inaccurate due to
small errors in the accelerometers, math rounding errors and drift. How
do you propose to 'erect' such a device to keep the shiny side up?

The only constant acceleration is the acceleration of gravity. A "leaky

How so? the plane doesn't know if it's right side up or not.
You can do a barrel roll, or loop and always keep "down" through the
bottom of the seat.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old March 17th 05, 04:43 AM
Ron Webb

The only constant acceleration is the acceleration of gravity. A "leaky
integrator" with a 2 or 3 second Tau should work fine.

How so? the plane doesn't know if it's right side up or not.
You can do a barrel roll, or loop and always keep "down" through the
bottom of the seat.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Roger

That's a good question. I have run every other scenario over in my mind, and
it looks to me that the proposed system should deal with them under any
normal circumstances.

However, I had not considered a constant acceleration "barrel roll" while
maintaining the same heading.

How to sense that???
My original idea had included an electronic "Gyroscpe"

I had eliminated it when I discovered how hard the iMEMS ADXRS300
http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,,764...S300%2C00.html
are to get, but I may have to put it back.

A homemade version is available.
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/pie.../piezindex.htm

ANG Woman Wing Commander Doesn't See Herself as Pioneer, By Master Sgt. Bob Haskell Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 March 18th 04 08:40 PM
Wing tip stalls mat Redsell Soaring 5 March 13th 04 05:07 PM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM
Can someone explain wing loading? Frederick Wilson Home Built 4 September 10th 03 02:33 AM
An Affordable Homebrue 60 in DS machine Grant Soaring 0 August 8th 03 03:52 AM