Got my BFR ahead of the TSA rule

Old October 18th 04, 06:59 PM
David Brooks

Default Got my BFR ahead of the TSA rule

Although it wasn't due for another 2 months, I decided to play it safe and
extend my ability to fly despite the TSA for another 22 months.

I don't suppose anyone has heard any rumors from inside the TSA? There's
nothing on their website
(http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?th...00051980003002 doesn't
even admit to the existence of 49 CFR 1552) and nothing on AOPA's. I don't
want to sound alarmist beause I think there's been enough pressure on them
to at least delay implementation. But FAA instructors in New Zealand have 17
hours before they start complying (unless there is some implicit definition
of date using Zulu or Eastern).

Has anyone asked how they are going to enforce this crap in practice? Not
that I want to start messing with the Feds, especially as I've made my
feelings public and the DHS knows where I live.

-- David Brooks

Old October 18th 04, 07:11 PM
Peter MacPherson

I saw the post on the AOPA website about Rep. Mica asking
the TSA to postpone the 10/20 compliance date until it's been
reviewed further, but nothing since. I was hoping something would
come out today about this being postponed....no such luck yet.

Pete

Old October 19th 04, 03:26 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I am getting my Flight Review done tomorrow to reset the clock for
another two years, even though I am only 6 months into my current Flight
Review. Funny thing is, most instructors are still not aware of this
rule. Only the ones monitoring newsgroups and AOPA know about this. The
rest of them don't have a clue. How could they? It is not in FAR 61, and
there have been no advisories from the FAA.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 04, 01:11 PM
KayInPA

Andrew Sarangan wrote in message .4...
Funny thing is, most instructors are still not aware of this
rule. Only the ones monitoring newsgroups and AOPA know about this. The
rest of them don't have a clue. How could they? It is not in FAR 61, and
there have been no advisories from the FAA.

Isn't that the truth. I mentioned it about a week ago to some people
at my airport, asking what their thoughts were. They looked at me
like I had just sprouted another head.
Old October 19th 04, 06:39 PM
Robert M. Gary

I just called AOPA about this. They claim that anyone you've given
instruction to in the past is grandfathered. They also said that a
pilot cert that says "USA" on it is probably good enough proof of US
citizenship. They also said that there is no provision (or even plan)
for the FSDO to enforce this. No one knows who would enforce it and
what would happen to someone not in compliance. Of course this stuff
changes hour to hour.

-Robert

Old October 19th 04, 07:03 PM
Peter MacPherson

I hope you're right about this, but I've seen some flight schools
saying that you need to present a US passport as proof of
citizenship.

om...

Old October 19th 04, 08:42 PM
kage

You certainly do at Flight Safety.

Karl
In the Falcon 50EX sim at 1700 today!

Old October 20th 04, 12:59 AM
NW_PILOT

I think they'll tell you you'll need to get one.

What about the people that cannot obtain a passport due to legal reasons? We
are not talking bad criminals maybe they are on probation for a traffic
offence witch prevents them from leaving the country, state you live or
possessing a passport during the probation period. Each states laws/rules
will vary. Some states may not prevent you from possessing a passport while
on probation but some do.