I give up, after many, many years!

Old May 19th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike Isaksen

Default I give up, after many, many years!

"Dave Doe" wrote
Who remembers the crash in the States where an aircraft
engineer had left the pitot and or static air vents taped up.

Crashed into the sea I think - all dead.

Duncan

I believe this was South or Latin America, and the plane came back from
getting washed??? Ports still covered to prevent water infiltration. Was it
a B757 maybe???

Old May 19th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
More_Flaps

On May 19, 8:50*am, george wrote:
On May 18, 6:03 pm, WingFlaps wrote:

As *a matter of fact, during training my instructor regularly blanked
off the ASI in the circuit and yet I still managed to trim to the
correct final approach speed to within 4 knots (as revealed when the
papaer was removed). Explain that -and no I'm not a very gifted
pilot...

Power setting and attitude ?

You betcha and feel of the controls.

Cheers
Old May 19th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
More_Flaps

On May 19, 9:00*am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
On May 18, 1:50 pm, george wrote:

On May 18, 6:03 pm, WingFlaps wrote:

As *a matter of fact, during training my instructor regularly blanked
off the ASI in the circuit and yet I still managed to trim to the
correct final approach speed to within 4 knots (as revealed when the
papaer was removed). Explain that -and no I'm not a very gifted
pilot...

Power setting and attitude ?

LOL George, WingFlaps, is pulling your middle keg,
it's a common BS scenario.
With ASI out, use the back-up stall buzzer on final,
then 4 knot accuracy is easy...duh.
Ken

Nope, no buzzer and not near stall..

Cheers
Old May 19th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Nope, I detect there is no change in prop sound when you load it up
and my computer does have a sound card. Maybe you are using one of
Mx's famous add ons, but can you hear the prop disk meet off axis
air?.

When you load it up, yes. Off-axis air (what a great way to describe that,
BTW!), nope.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 19th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I may need that lottery ticket, not for surviving the problem, but the
cost of a new regulator! Pump is fine, but the regulator does not
appear to be regulating! 1.2 AMU is a preliminary estimate.

$1200 for the *regulator*? Damn...that sucks.

Almost as bad as my stupid Piper stall indicator switch -- $1300 back in
1999 money! What a rip... (Luckily I found a "serviceable" used unit for
"only" $450...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 19th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Marty Shapiro

Dave Doe wrote in
. nz:

In article ,
says...
Dave Doe writes:

IIRC, they could have used the GPS for airspeed (IIRC, the airspeed
indicator partly worked (they got an airspeed active out of it!) -
and probably thought it was correct - during flight it was all over
the place IIRC. And the radar altimeter would have been working
just fine. Several navs would have been good, VOR, DME, ILS etc.
Shaker of course too!

The GPS would only give ground speed, not airspeed, but that would be
better than nothing. The RA would only be useful below 2500 feet
AGL. But the other stuff would be working.

The other poster got it right methinks, pretty sure it was a 757.

re your reply...
* ground speed would be just fine, even in a 30kt wind aloft -
compared to an airspeed indicator going all over the place.
* they'd just taken off, so the radar altimeter's going to provide
some very useful info.

Anyone remember some more details?

Aeroperu had a problem with this.

As the other poster mentioned, he thought it was 'down south' too -
should be a database entry for it somewhere.

There is an entry in the NTSB data base, but all it does is refer to the
DGTA in Peru and gives a telephone number and fax number. The entry can be
found at
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X06864&key=1

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old May 19th 08, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Godwin

More_Flaps wrote in

:

Nope, no buzzer and not near stall..

Yep .. particularly if your airplane doesn't have a stall buzzer.

Old May 19th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Nope, I detect there is no change in prop sound when you load it up
and my computer does have a sound card. Maybe you are using one of
Mx's famous add ons, but can you hear the prop disk meet off axis
air?.

When you load it up, yes. Off-axis air (what a great way to describe
that, BTW!), nope.

What a cretin.

Bertie

DC-3 parts to give away Robert Little Restoration 2 November 23rd 06 03:30 AM
Who can give a checkout? Mark S Conway General Aviation 2 May 9th 05 12:15 AM
Winch give-away KP Soaring 6 January 11th 05 08:04 PM
Did you ever give up on an IR? No Such User Piloting 24 November 26th 03 02:45 PM
FS 2004 give away Ozzie M Simulators 0 November 23rd 03 03:50 PM