Outside reference in IMC

Old May 21st 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Default Outside reference in IMC

One could legally be operating in VMC under IFR or IMC under VFR.

I think you are only half right. You can surely operate IFR in VMC --
and there are places where that's actually required, but if you are in
IMC, which is defined as in conditions below VFR minima, you had best
be flying IFR.
Old May 21st 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Opps, I am wrong. Of course you can fly VFR in IMC if you had gotten a
special VFR clearance.

Sorry

Old May 21st 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Lack of VFR does not imply you are in IMC. Lack of VFR only implies
that you need to be on an IFR flight plan.

From the AIM: "Instrument Meteorological Conditions--Meteorological
conditions expressed in terms of visibility, distance from cloud, and
ceiling less than the minima specified for visual meteorological
conditions." So if you are not in VMC you are in IMC and fly under IFR.
Old May 21st 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

Extra credit points! The statement below is incomplete (hint: qualification
is missing). There are lots of places in US airspace where you could be IMC
and NOT fly under IFR rules, and no flight plan...where are they?

--
Regards, BobF.
"romeomike" wrote in message
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Lack of VFR does not imply you are in IMC. Lack of VFR only implies
that you need to be on an IFR flight plan.

From the AIM: "Instrument Meteorological Conditions--Meteorological

Old May 21st 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On May 20, 8:06 pm, romeomike wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Lack of VFR does not imply you are in IMC. Lack of VFR only implies
that you need to be on an IFR flight plan.

From the AIM: "Instrument Meteorological Conditions--Meteorological
conditions expressed in terms of visibility, distance from cloud, and
ceiling less than the minima specified for visual meteorological
conditions." So if you are not in VMC you are in IMC and fly under IFR.

yes you are right. I was thinking of instrument flight experience,
which is different from IMC as defined in the AIM.

Old May 21st 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

"Bob F." wrote in
:

Extra credit points! The statement below is incomplete (hint:
qualification is missing). There are lots of places in US airspace
where you could be IMC and NOT fly under IFR rules, and no flight
plan...where are they?

Glass G airspace. Lot's of it out west.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old May 21st 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Bob F. wrote:
Extra credit points! The statement below is incomplete (hint:
qualification is missing). There are lots of places in US airspace
where you could be IMC and NOT fly under IFR rules, and no flight
plan...where are they?

Yeah, and I live there.
Old May 21st 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Instrument nomenclature Outside reference in IMC

On May 20, 4:35 pm, gatt wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
When and why did the nomenclature on those get changed. I learned to fly
in the late 70's and flew during the early 80's a bunch then laid off
for quite a while and got my helo rating in the mid 90's.
I'll be honest it wasn't until I started building in 2002 that I
realized that everyone was calling them the new names and decided that I
would too.

I dunno. The x-thousand-hour old-timers around the FBO still refer to
it as the "DG" and I'm not going to pull an Anthony and correct them
every time they do. Nor am I going to discount their wisdom or flight
training.

It changed sometime in the '80s. Some bureaucrat decided that
everything on the panel had to be an "indicator" of some sort.

Dan

Old May 21st 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 20, 5:36*pm, romeomike wrote:

You can only log the time if you are in IMC (not legally VFR) AND you
have to fly solely by instruments. Let's say you are 50 feet below a
cloud deck with 50 miles of forward visibility and nothing obscuring the
ground or horizon. This is legally IMC and IFR applies, but you don't
log it as such because you can fly it without having to fly solely by
reference to instruments.

What about the inverse as given in my example? 50 feet above an
overcast?