MOGAS availability database

Old April 27th 05, 03:50 PM

Default MOGAS availability database

Being a Rotax 912s driver, and being as how the Rotax prefers premium
automobile fuel, I have been searching for places that serve automobile gas
that are accessable to airplanes. I'm not having much luck.

So, does anyone know of a database that tracks availability of MOGAS for
aviation use?

thanks,
tom pettit
Old April 27th 05, 04:34 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Markus Voget wrote:

wrote:

So, does anyone know of a database that tracks availability of MOGAS
for aviation use?

You did not specify your region, so I might as well give a shot...

MOGAS maps for German and Austrian airfields can be found at
http://eddh.de/equipment/kniebrett.html

http://airnav.com/fuel/local.html

Just select the fuel of choice:
Jet A, 100LL Avgas, 80/87 Avgas, Mogas (auto)
Old April 27th 05, 07:30 PM
Dave S

Be VERY careful depending on that feature of Airnav. Most of the places
that list "mogas" don't list a price, have irregular or spotty hours of
attendance, or very well may be mom n pop airparks.

If you plan on using these listed fields, CALL AHEAD and confirm. You
very well may just do better refilling with blue stuff when away from home.

I'm going to be running a Mazda Rotary engine in a Velocity, and the
fuel issue is one that I've looked at several times. I plan on using
100LL when fueling out.

Dave

Old April 27th 05, 07:48 PM
Rich S.

"Dave S" wrote in message
k.net...
Be VERY careful depending on that feature of Airnav. Most of the places
that list "mogas" don't list a price, have irregular or spotty hours of
attendance, or very well may be mom n pop airparks.

If you plan on using these listed fields, CALL AHEAD and confirm. You very
well may just do better refilling with blue stuff when away from home.

I'm going to be running a Mazda Rotary engine in a Velocity, and the fuel
issue is one that I've looked at several times. I plan on using 100LL when
fueling out.

Make that last idea a *must*, Dave. You don't know what you are getting out
of a strange mogas tank. It may be 100° out and that mogas could've been
sitting in the tank since winter. My commandments read:
1. Never use mogas from an unfamiliar source.
2. Always test for alcohol.
3. Never use mogas above 5,000' density altitude.
4. Always check for water.
5. Never use mogas above 80° F.

Remember - 100 LL can foul a spark plug. Mogas can boil, give you vapor
lock, and stop your engine RFN. Which would you prefer? Would you like fries
with that?

Rich S.

Old April 27th 05, 08:48 PM
Dave S

Rich S. wrote:
Make that last idea a *must*, Dave. You don't know what you are

getting out
of a strange mogas tank. It may be 100° out and that mogas could've been
sitting in the tank since winter. My commandments read:
1. Never use mogas from an unfamiliar source.
2. Always test for alcohol.
3. Never use mogas above 5,000' density altitude.
4. Always check for water.
5. Never use mogas above 80° F.

Remember - 100 LL can foul a spark plug. Mogas can boil, give you vapor
lock, and stop your engine RFN. Which would you prefer? Would you like fries
with that?

Rich S.

Dude... I'm using mogas because I'm using a MO-engine. I've driven cars
at over 5000 ft (Lake Tahoe.. 9000 ft) MSL.. and in temps over 100* F...
and alcohol wont hurt MY engine because the seals in it and the fuel
system are DESIGNED to use motor gas in all of its domestic
forumulations. I think some of those "absolutes" you are listing are
overkill.

I will be using fuel injected engine with an automotive fuel rail
regulated at 40 PSI over upper deck pressure..through a recirculating
fuel circut with firesleeved hoses. I don't think vapor lock is gonna be
the issue here. I'm just planning on using 100LL because I dont want to
land on a 2000 ft sod strip 40 miles from the nearest town of over
50,000 people. I'm into flying to travel to where the people are

Old April 27th 05, 09:38 PM
Rich S.

"Dave S" wrote in message
k.net...
Dude... I'm using mogas because I'm using a MO-engine. I've driven cars at
over 5000 ft (Lake Tahoe.. 9000 ft) MSL.. and in temps over 100* F... and
alcohol wont hurt MY engine because the seals in it and the fuel system
are DESIGNED to use motor gas in all of its domestic forumulations. I
think some of those "absolutes" you are listing are overkill.

I will be using fuel injected engine with an automotive fuel rail
regulated at 40 PSI over upper deck pressure..through a recirculating fuel
circut with firesleeved hoses. I don't think vapor lock is gonna be the
issue here. I'm just planning on using 100LL because I dont want to land
on a 2000 ft sod strip 40 miles from the nearest town of over 50,000
people. I'm into flying to travel to where the people are

So? You've a different set of commandments. I just related *mine*. :^)

Rich S.

Old April 27th 05, 09:49 PM
Rich S.

"Dave S" wrote in message
k.net...

Rich S. wrote:
Make that last idea a *must*, Dave. You don't know what you are getting

out
of a strange mogas tank. It may be 100° out and that mogas could've been
sitting in the tank since winter. Rich S.

Dude... I'm using mogas because I'm using a MO-engine. I've driven cars at
over 5000 ft (Lake Tahoe.. 9000 ft) MSL.. and in temps over 100* F... and
alcohol wont hurt MY engine because the seals in it and the fuel system
are DESIGNED to use motor gas in all of its domestic formulations. I
think some of those "absolutes" you are listing are overkill.

Oh - as for the rest of it? Lousy gas can stop that Wankel in it's tracks.
Gas that is not blended for altitude and or season (temperature) can make
the fan stop turning. In your car, you likely bought gas that was intended
for use at Lake Tahoe and/or in temps over 100° F. In your airplane you
might buy mogas at sea level which is designed for sea level. Then you haul
your butt to 10,000' msl and your sea level mogas is merrily bubbling away.
Firesleeves and recirculation only *delay* vapor lock - they don't prevent
it.

You may be safe - for a while. Then maybe. . .not. You have a point - stay
close to roads and civilization.

Rich "Never say 'all'" S.

Old April 28th 05, 03:18 AM
AINut

All of the dozen or so airports I've contacted about mogas only have 87
octane. All are considerably higher priced than the most expensive gas
station.

If you use 100ll in an engine that has valves designed for no lead
usage, you're probably going to lose that engine. Also, the O2 sensors
will clog with lead very shortly. A propane torch can burn the lead off
it but you'll have to remove all the O2 sensors to do that. If the O2
sensors clog up during flight, the engine computer will go into limp
home mode. This usually means a *drastic* cut in horsepower, sometimes
engine stoppage.

HTH.

Old April 28th 05, 03:34 AM
Newps

Rich S. wrote:

Make that last idea a *must*, Dave. You don't know what you are getting out
of a strange mogas tank. It may be 100° out and that mogas could've been
sitting in the tank since winter. My commandments read:
1. Never use mogas from an unfamiliar source.
2. Always test for alcohol.
3. Never use mogas above 5,000' density altitude.
4. Always check for water.
5. Never use mogas above 80° F.

Funny stuff, if it wasn't so assinine.