Repaving evicts us from our hangar?

Old May 16th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

Default Repaving evicts us from our hangar?

I was curious if anyone else has experienced this... Our airport is
having it's ramp area re-paved. Because of scheduling, they're starting
earlier than expected. 4 buildings of T-hangars have to be out by this
Monday (the 21st). Actually, you have a choice of being tiedown outside
for 2 months, or be trapped inside your hangar for 2 months. My plane
lived outside for a lot of years, but that was considerably inland. My
current airport is on the coast (Ocean City). I hate the idea of
sitting outside for that length of time, within a 1/4 mile of the ocean.
What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards leaving it in the hangar,
and starting some projects that would disable her, anyway.

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old May 16th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jay Masino wrote:
I was curious if anyone else has experienced this...

Two years ago, everyone got kicked off a local AIRPORT (not hangar),
because the only runway was being repaved.
Old May 16th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 5/16/2007 7:32:44 AM, wrote:

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards leaving it in the hangar,
and starting some projects that would disable her, anyway.

Now's the time to get that new interior you have always dreamed of.

Tough call, but if you really have big projects that would have kept the
aircraft ground-bound anyhow, may as well use the paving as the excuse to get
it done. Who knows, maybe the paving will be finished early?

--
Peter
Old May 16th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I was curious if anyone else has experienced this... Our airport is
having it's ramp area re-paved. Because of scheduling, they're starting
earlier than expected. 4 buildings of T-hangars have to be out by this
Monday (the 21st). Actually, you have a choice of being tiedown outside
for 2 months, or be trapped inside your hangar for 2 months.

TWO MONTHS? Dang.

This same thing happened to us last fall, when the city FINALLY (after
10 years of complaining) repaved the taxiways around our hangars. But
we were only "on the street" for about 2 weeks. What the heck are
they doing for two months?

At the end of this month we're out again, as the city willl be putting
new concrete floors in our T-hangars. Our floor is pea gravel (which
we covered with astroturf years ago, to keep the dust down), and
concrete will be nice -- but it means we have to move EVERYTHING out
of the hangar!

As anyone who has ever visited our hangar knows, that's gonna take a
moving truck to accomplish. Still, it'll only be for about ten
days... And it'll force us to discard a bunch of junk that has
accumulated...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 16th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Jay Masino wrote:
I was curious if anyone else has experienced this... Our airport is
having it's ramp area re-paved. Because of scheduling, they're starting
earlier than expected. 4 buildings of T-hangars have to be out by this
Monday (the 21st). Actually, you have a choice of being tiedown outside
for 2 months, or be trapped inside your hangar for 2 months. My plane
lived outside for a lot of years, but that was considerably inland. My
current airport is on the coast (Ocean City). I hate the idea of
sitting outside for that length of time, within a 1/4 mile of the ocean.
What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards leaving it in the hangar,
and starting some projects that would disable her, anyway.

I had to relocat my aircraft several years ago when our airport was
going under a complete reconstruction. I went to a community hangar at
another airport. I had to pay there for a couple of months and I did not
get a reduction on rent at my airport for the time. But, I could still
fly. There is a airport about 30 miles south of us that is going to do
the same thing this summer and planes are already getting relocation.
Another airport in our city is giving free ramp parking during their
down time.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old May 16th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

B A R R Y wrote:

Jay Masino wrote:
I was curious if anyone else has experienced this...

Two years ago, everyone got kicked off a local AIRPORT (not hangar),
because the only runway was being repaved.

Thats when people start flying off the taxiway...
Old May 16th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
pgbnh

If what you are concerned about is 'airborne', why do you believe that the
aircraft is any more protected inside the hangar than outside? Sun, wind,
hail, sure. But unless you have an airtight hangar, then the damp salty air
will exist inside the hangar as well as out. Maybe even more as you do not
have the advantage of warm sun drying the air.

. ..

Old May 16th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Jay,

I highly doubt any weather-related issues would become noticable let alone
significant over being tied-down outside for two months. That would mean all
the planes currently tied-down on coastal airports would be rendered useless
in a year or two. As others have said, your hangar is not
climate-controlled and therefore exposed to the same salty air that the
other non-hangared planes are exposed to.

Marco

. ..

Old May 16th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

All good points. Actually, after I posted this, my mechanic pointed out
that a greater risk might be dust and debris from them ripping up the
old asphalt. They're supposedly going down 12" and starting with a new
foundation. Luckily, they're not doing in front of the hangars,
directly. But the ripped up transient ramp will block access to the
runway if I stay.

I guess after 10 years of parking outside, I've become spoiled being
inside for the last 5. I'll probably just start a few projects that the
airplane has needed for a while. It'll be part of my A&P mechanic
"training".

It's also a good test to see if I can actually go 2 months without
flying. I've tinkered with the idea of getting out of the hobby (after
20 years).

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
http://www.OceanCityAirport.com
http://www.oc-Adolfos.com

for the hangar queens [email protected] Soaring 15 December 8th 06 03:16 AM
t-hangar and ice Bob Noel Owning 13 October 19th 04 09:59 PM
Hangar at FFZ [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 1 August 18th 04 09:40 PM
FFZ Hangar [email protected] Aerobatics 0 August 16th 04 12:55 AM
Hangar Space Available at 47N john price Piloting 0 December 11th 03 12:12 PM