My Modest Proposal to End Global Warming, Revitalize General Aviation, and End Our Dependence on Foreign Oil

Old October 15th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Default My Modest Proposal to End Global Warming, Revitalize GeneralAviation, and End Our Dependence on Foreign Oil

Scott wrote:
Oh...I forgot to ask if you were self employed. That would explain no
overtime pay since it is only required for employment covered in the
fair labor standards act...
http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs23.htm

Scott

Not sefl-employed, I'm a federal employee.

Margy

Margy Natalie wrote:

Overtime? What a bizarre concept :-0, No we don't get overtime for
anything. If we work extra hours we can get comp time, if we get it
approved first. We can't work more than 10 per day (no 20/2), but the
9/5/4 works out ok, until you end up just going in for 2 or 3 hours on
Sunday and spending 6 (lawn is not mowed, leaves are not up, laundry
is not done, oh well, another weekend shot to hell, but I did get a
few minutes stick time in an L-39 JET this weekend!!!)

Margy

Scott wrote:

Do you get the mandatory overtime pay (5 hours) for the first week
where you work 45 hours in that work week or are you on salary? My
boss would never let us (non-exempt) folks work that schedule...wish
we had a 2-20 schedule (2 days a week, 20 hours each...work 20
straight, 8 off and then another straight 20)...would be great to
have 5 day weekends

Scott

Margy Natalie wrote:

wrote:

Of course, those who still live out in the sticks will need some
other
way to get around. This will be the rail lines, just like in the old
days, or they will fly, as God intended. New airports will spring up
like flowers after a rain. Flight instructors will be busy. The
little
planes will no longer bother anybody because everyone will realize
they
are necessary. Aircraft manufacturers will finally have the incentive
to innovate and produce airplanes in reasonable numbers.

If by little planes you mean 4 seaters and such, then I doubt that
they will ever become reliable means of private transport like the
car. Even with an instrument rating it would require a high level of
skill, confidence and time commitment on part of the pilot to use a
little airplane regularly for commuting. Besides, no matter how many
airports spring up, there still remains the problem of getting from
the airport to the work place and back.
If more and more employers and employees work together to find ways to
work remotely from home, it would reduce automobile usage to an
extent.

This is a good reason for flex schedules I work a 9/5/4/ (9 hours, 5
days one week, 4 the next). If everyone did that it would reduce
travel 10%. Some folks work 10/4/4 which is a really long day, but
if you commute 4 hours a day (not unrealistic in this area) you save
a lot of real time and traffic is reduced 20%.

Margy

Old October 15th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Oh...THAT's killer! You work for the same government that mandated O.T.
pay. Sometimes I just love the way our government works..."It's OK for
us to make rules to protect our citizens from getting screwed, but we're
going to screw our own employees." That figures! Thanks for
hanging in there and clarifying

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old October 16th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote

but I did get a few minutes stick time in an L-39 JET this weekend!!!)

Cool beans!

Shoot, I'd settle for a ride in an L-39, let alone some stick time!

Go on; you told us a little, now spill it! Tell us all about it, so we can
live vicariously! g
--
Jim in NC

Old October 16th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Scott wrote:
Oh...THAT's killer! You work for the same government that mandated O.T.
pay. Sometimes I just love the way our government works..."It's OK for
us to make rules to protect our citizens from getting screwed, but we're
going to screw our own employees." That figures! Thanks for
hanging in there and clarifying

I'm on a salary, I just work and work (no matter what Jay says about
Federal workers). I do get comp time, but somehow getting a Thurday off
doesn't really make up for working a Saturday night, if you know what I
mean. I do get to do some really cool stuff, meet really great people,
and I have an SR-71 outside of my office, so that's a plus!

Margy

Old October 16th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

I think I'd rather have my office IN an SR-71

I was never a big fan of comp time...especially when the boss was the
one who decided which day he would give you as comp time

Scott

Old October 16th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Morgans wrote:
"Margy Natalie" wrote

but I did get a few minutes stick time in an L-39 JET this weekend!!!)

Cool beans!

Shoot, I'd settle for a ride in an L-39, let alone some stick time!

Go on; you told us a little, now spill it! Tell us all about it, so we can
live vicariously! g

It was GREAT!!! The wonderful man who owns the L-39 and has flown to my
fly-in every year. He's mentioned he "owes" me a ride for a bit and we
hooked up at a local fly-in this weekend (thanks to my boss's boss who
is also checked out in L-39's).

Well, the ride was going to be around 2:30 (after they opened the
airspace from the show) so I figured I'd better eat about 1 (not too
empty, not too full) so at 12:45 I got in line. I didn't get my food
until 2:15 so I wolfed down BBQ and fries (not wise) and got out to the
airplane. Joe (boss's boss) straped me in, which I think he felt a bit
odd doing. We'd briefed earlier so he showed me what to pull "just in
case" etc. I was strapped to the parachute and it was attached to the
plane. "if something really bad happens pull that, Art will turn upside
down and you will fall out". Sounded good to me! In and locked in Art
fired up the best looking L-39 in the world (too me at least, as I was
INSIDE). All the instruments and warning lights are in Russian :-). It
was a bit odd to have my ears popping right there on the ground as he
pressurized.

He took off, over the runway we had already exceeded the Navion's red
line speed and I was way behind. We got up to about 3,500' and Art said
"you've got the airplane" and shook the stick. I said "you're
kidding" He said "No, your airplane" I shook the stick and held on
flying perfectly straight and level with a grin ear to ear. I was
flying a JET!!!! He said "you can turn if you want". Ok, I made really
gentle turns and my face hurt from smiling so wide. He said, "let me
show you a turn" and wow we turned! I flew a bit and he said "How about
an aileron roll" so I said sure (mind you I get sick on
Merry-go-rounds). So we did the roll which was really gentle until the
pull out and the BBQ started to rise, but not too far, whew. So I flew
for a bit and then it was time to go back. He thought I might know
where I was (as the ride was from my home field, but I was way not
knowing anything). A second later I spotted the "golf balls" (radomes)
and pointed them out and explained they were 45 for downwind.

He asked if I wanted him to do a break for landing or a regular pattern.
Well the stomach was back and I figured after the break we'd be on the
gound in a few seconds so I said "we can do the break", he replied "Are
you sure" I said "yeah, we can do the break" then I asked "How violent
is the break?" he replied "2 Gs" I said "OK" figuring we'd be on the
ground and out of the plane. Piece of cake.

So we zoom in faster than I normally do anything, whipped around in the
break (damned BBQ) and are coming around on final. This is WAY COOL.
Stomach is well, ok, but we will be on the ground in a few seconds, when
I hear "Culpeper traffic, Cessna xxxx departing runway 22, Culpeper". I
look down and someone is getting ready to get on the runway right in
front of us. Art calls, "Culpeper traffic can you delay your departure
for the JET on final", "Culpeper traffic, Cessna departing 22 ... "
damned she was talking, but not listening so around we go (with someone
else on the radio asking for a tail number). The go around was
uneventful and we came in for a smooth landing.

This was a GREAT moment for me. I did aerobatics (well, aerobatic
singular) and didn't throw up! I flew really fast and it was really
cool and wow it was GREAT! I would recommend it to anyone.

I'm still a bit dizzy from the thrill and people are tired of me
spontaniously shouting "I flew a JET!" periodically :-). This in one of
the great perks of my job. I get to meet really cool people. Art is
one of the best I've ever met, he has a really cool plane and as soon as
I got out he had kids in the airplane (not flying) for the rest of the
day. At my fly-in he spends the entire day putting kids in and out of
the plane. It is great. I found out this weekend he's also the only
one to ever dead-stick a Harrier in (Richmond, VA) he got a medal for
that. He recently aquired a Harrier and hopefully will have it on the
airshow circut soon. He's a really nice guy with really cool planes.

Hee hee hee I flew a JET!

Margy
Old October 16th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Scott wrote:
I think I'd rather have my office IN an SR-71

I was never a big fan of comp time...especially when the boss was the
one who decided which day he would give you as comp time

Scott

We luck out there. The boss doesn't decide the comp time although he
has to approve it. I try to stack it up for a long weekend. He doesn't
really like it (says I'll burn out with some of the weeks I work), but
he approves it. Of course if I don't use it by the end of the calendar
year it turns to dust, and the office needs to be covered Xmas week, and
we all earn a bunch before and during major events in the fall ...

Margy

Old October 16th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message

Hee hee hee I flew a JET!

Congrats! Way cool!

He recently aquired a Harrier and hopefully will have it on the airshow
circut soon. He's a really nice guy with really cool planes.

A really nice guy with deep pockets, I would guess. You would have to have
a "few" surplus bucks around, JUST to pay the fuel bill for either of those
planes! :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old October 16th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ray Andraka

Margy,

That is way way way cool. I'm green (and not from flying upside-down)!
See, there are perks to working where you do.

Margy Natalie wrote:

Hee hee hee I flew a JET!

Margy

Old October 16th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

I'm on a salary, I just work and work (no matter what Jay says about
Federal workers).

When you're doing what you want to do, and you love doing it, it's not
really "work".

I do get comp time, but somehow getting a Thurday off
doesn't really make up for working a Saturday night, if you know what I
mean.

Hey, Thursday (when I actually get it off) is my "Sunday". I *love*
having non-weekend days off -- no crowds anywhere.

And I work *every* Saturday, so suck it up!

:-)

I do get to do some really cool stuff, meet really great people,
and I have an SR-71 outside of my office, so that's a plus!

There you have it. We do what we do for the perks, not the pay...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA