Glider Maintenance - Fuselage Rotisserie

Old January 6th 17, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Glider Maintenance - Fuselage Rotisserie

After years of wandering around northern NJ temporarily occupying the workshops and garages of club members who were kind (or stupid) enough to loan out space, Aero Club Albatross (ACA) finally has a shop of our own at Blairstown airport. As the Refinisher in Chief, I'm building out the infrastructure bit by bit to make sure we are well equipped for future projects. I'm looking for good examples of fuselage fixtures, especially ones that allow for the whole fuselage to be rotated at least 90 degrees either way from vertical.

So, does anyone have examples of a fuselage rotisserie with some photos you can share? We already have a cradle/sling as well as solid stands. We also have used a hoist from the ceiling in the past. Each of these presents some challenges when painting, so we're looking to start fresh. Any pics, sketches, or ideas would be appreciated. We have world class fabricators and machinists in our club, so we can go top tier - no 2x4s and bungee cords. You can email me at erik dot h dot mann @ gmail dot com

Erik Mann (P3)
Old January 6th 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Contact Paul Gaines at alphazulucomposites dot com. At an SSA convention years ago, I saw a "glider roller" he built, and there is a photo showing one at his shop in Kingman, AZ. Not enough detail to build one, but at least a start.
Old January 6th 17, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 8:48:47 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

Someone showed some photos of an "octo roller" made from 2 sheets of plywood that picked up front lift pins and rear pins using arms. 8 sided allowed easy rolling to desired position.
I don't remember where I was it. Maybe in the VSA group.
None of these is easy to spray around. For that I hang and tilt 15 degrees or so with a gallon can hung on an arm off lift pins.
FWIW
UH
Old January 6th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

=
I'm looking for good examples of fuselage fixtures, especially ones

that
=
allow for the whole fuselage to be rotated at least 90 degrees either way
f=
rom vertical. =20
=20
[...]

easy rolling to desired position.=20
I don't remember where I was it. Maybe in the VSA group.
None of these is easy to spray around. For that I hang and tilt 15

degrees
=
or so with a gallon can hung on an arm off lift pins.
FWIW
UH

Somewhere there is a video of a Belgian repair shop rebuilding a broken
Arcus
They have a rig with 2 steel rings and longerons that pick up on the wing

mounts and Cardinal points.they set it to a second new arcus in it and set
the
points ,then locked it up and fitted the 2 half s of a Brocken arcus to the

same points and re build the bit in the middle
Awesome video if you can find it just build a copy

Old January 6th 17, 10:06 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon May[_2_] View Post

Here is that video

https://vimeo.com/60497114

Colin
Old January 6th 17, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Yeah, I had seen this. Still salivating: https://vimeo.com/60497114
Old January 7th 17, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 1:09:13 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
Yeah, I had seen this. Still salivating: https://vimeo.com/60497114

P3, I dug this up from the archives. Link below.

A photo scanned from the August 23rd 1991 "Hollywood Reporter" article on soaring, "The Quiet Ride".
It shows an ASW20 - without the taily bit - in the rotisserie at Glass Teck Unlimited. And Rick Wagner with arms folded. Nostalgia for R12 folks.

Also visible is Rick's model of "Rare Bear", of course its analog R/C failed impressively at high speed!

Bonus: If you look in the folder with a familiar name, there may be soaring cartoons for winter reading.
Jim

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0gh8y9b7p...ykXOTBjEa?dl=0

Old January 6th 17, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

[...]

Sorry my las post was inaccurate ,it was a soaring cafe piece
http://vimeo.com/60497114
Jon

Old January 6th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

[...]

HP-24 project photo pages; 18 May 2014 - plywood octogon. https://www.facebook.com/20093135495...549952/?type=3

Feb 26/2015 - Great and Terrible Infinigon. https://www.facebook.com/20093135495...type=3&theater

Always a great browse.

Old January 6th 17, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:29:22 PM UTC-8, Dan Daly wrote:

HP-24 project photo pages; 18 May 2014 - plywood octogon. https://www.facebook.com/20093135495...549952/?type=3

Feb 26/2015 - Great and Terrible Infinigon. https://www.facebook.com/20093135495...type=3&theater

Always a great browse.

Thanks, you beat me to it! --Bob K.