A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Oudie help

Old January 24th 20, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

I’m going to another state to fly and I would like to see the airports around the area. How can I see their available airports near the airport i will be towing from?

DC
Old January 24th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

For full information, determine the airport identifiers and then go to
airnav.com

On 1/24/2020 12:49 PM, Dennis Cavagnaro wrote:
I’m going to another state to fly and I would like to see the airports around the area. How can I see their available airports near the airport i will be towing from?

DC

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 24th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

Dennis Cavagnaro wrote on 1/24/2020 11:49 AM:

Like a sectional, you mean? Skyvector.com Or what it looks like on an Oudie?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old January 25th 20, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

I was hoping to see how it appears on the Oudie. I already found an airport that is not in my database and want to make sure I have all landing data.
Old January 25th 20, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

Are you familiar with the soaring turnpoint exchange? Do you have Seeyou? Assuming you don't have seeyou, you can download the google earth format for the database in the area of interest from the soaring turnpoint exchange (try internet explorer if Google doesn't link) and view it in google earth.. And you could also convert any database you have into google earth using gpsvisualizer. Then display both in GE and toggle them on and off to try and find any discrepancies so you could edit the file in the oudie to your liking. Also, you can filter waypoints in a variety of ways in the oudie, "landable" for example, and that would limit the database to airports and airstrips (for the most part, it's not perfect) . It's a bit of work without seeyou but it can be done. Google earth is nice anyway because you can look at landouts against the latest aerial imagery and get a feel for the landouts. Hope that points you in a direction.
Old January 25th 20, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 12:57:41 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Are you familiar with the soaring turnpoint exchange? Do you have Seeyou? Assuming you don't have seeyou, you can download the google earth format for the database in the area of interest from the soaring turnpoint exchange (try internet explorer if Google doesn't link) and view it in google earth. And you could also convert any database you have into google earth using gpsvisualizer. Then display both in GE and toggle them on and off to try and find any discrepancies so you could edit the file in the oudie to your liking. Also, you can filter waypoints in a variety of ways in the oudie, "landable" for example, and that would limit the database to airports and airstrips (for the most part, it's not perfect) . It's a bit of work without seeyou but it can be done. Google earth is nice anyway because you can look at landouts against the latest aerial imagery and get a feel for the landouts. Hope that points you in a direction.

There is also the excellent resource http://soaringdata.info/airports/waypoints.php . Enter an airport identifier and bounding radius. Add the TP file. Check the .KML (for Google Earth) box. Add airspace, which is always handy. Type Soar in the box and press submit.

Output then, is a .cup file, an airspace file, and a KML file (and any others you click). Click on the KML file and Google earth loads - click on each airport and zoom in.

It's also a great resource for translating .cup files into others for those with different equipment. I use it to translate .cup files into .STX files for my Clearnav vario. Thanks Lynn Alley (2KA)!
Old January 25th 20, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

Dennis, try building a task for the area. Once that is done, if you tap the map or go (I think, as don’t have it in front of me) menu/task/tools/map, you should see the task area on the map. You can move around the task area and see what is displayed. Also, if you find an olc flight for the area (sort by location to find flights to choose from) and upload to your Oudie, you can replay it (settings/input/file) and also see what it looks like. I’m just learning mine, but that’s what I figured out so far.

Nelson
Old January 25th 20, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

Thanks a bunch guys

DC
Old January 25th 20, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

Hi ,,,I have tried to fool my Oudie to think its in another region but the map doesn’t change. How can I make the Oudie map show a different area?

DC
Old January 25th 20, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe
external usenet poster

Default Oudie help

Load an aat task in the region you want to be. Then I found tapping the screen took me to the map. Or you can go menu/task/options/map (I think. Don't have it in front of me.)