ELT EPIRB

Old September 20th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ELT EPIRB

I stumbled across this ACE AquaFix 406 ELT EPIRB while looking for a
transponder:

http://www.anchorexpress.com/acr-aquafix-406-epirb.html

It contains a GPS that transmits your location in an emergency. ACR
also has a $75 rebate for participating dealers (and they DO have to be
participating), which this one is.

Does anybody know anything about this unit other than what you can read
on the web? I am assuming that you have to activate it manually (no
accelerometer crash activation).

Tom Seim
2G
Richland, WA

Old September 20th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom,

I just want to warn you that this will not meet the SSA Comp. rules
where ELT's are REQUIRED for competition. The present rules allow
contests to require ELT's and they have to be mounted and meet FAA
specifications. Personal ones do not meet the rules. The Region 8
contest did not require them in '06 and I did not hear anything during
the contest that indicates they will change that for '07.
This said, having a personal ELTof any kind makes a lot of sense and I
do carry one of the cheaper non GPS models on my chute harness.
Tom
Idaho

Old September 21st 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why do the (USA) present rules re ELT's stipulate that they have to be
mounted and meet FAA specifications, and that personal ones do not meet
the rules?

If you bale out, you might be a long way from the glider wreckage and
remain undiscovered if rescuers only have a fix on the glider wreckage.
Most survivable accidents, bale out or still in cockpit, have the
pilot still able to push a button and could use a personal ELT. That
seems to be the thinking of several UK piots who have or are thinking
about ELT's. I looked at the installation/certification details of a
fixed one (no approved scheme for it in the UK) and it looks difficult
to the point of being impractical.

Chris N.

Old September 21st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

There have been a number of US accidents in the last few years that were not
found for days..
- The glider was not missed until the end of the day when he did land back
at the airport and had not reported in.
- An installed ELT would automatically activate on most impacts and not
require a pilot with injuries to become conscious enough to activate it
- I agree a personal ELT will be with the parachute harness and not far from
the glider.
- A built in ELT can be manually activated.
- The recent mid air at Minden NV between a glider and a jet, the pilot
landed in the parachute beside or close enough to, his glider. The harness
was found next to the glider, as the pilot after waiting a few hours decided
to walk out before dark.
- Likely hood of mid air accidents are increased during contests because of
"gaggle" and common turn points, and missing gliders from accidents during
contests, increased notification time and likelihood of finding a pilot
before he succumbs to injuries, so SSA deems it necessary.

BT

oups.com...

Old September 21st 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

Tom,
A friend has one for Soaring and Power flying, the discrete code assigned to
the unit (serial number idea) is registered and it gets transmitted along
with gps coordinates, so the searchers know who they are looking for by
name.

Rather bulky to strap to a parachute harness, but it can be done.
They have to be activated manually, some can be designed to automatically
activate if in sea water, but not due to impact deceleration. Also useable
by back country solo hikers and campers.

BT

ups.com...

Old September 21st 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

I have had one attached to my chute harness for more than a year. Don't
even notice it. Only disadvantage is that you have to manually activate
it. But it would work if you are injured but conscious.

BTIZ wrote:
Tom,
A friend has one for Soaring and Power flying, the discrete code assigned to
the unit (serial number idea) is registered and it gets transmitted along
with gps coordinates, so the searchers know who they are looking for by
name.

Rather bulky to strap to a parachute harness, but it can be done.
They have to be activated manually, some can be designed to automatically
activate if in sea water, but not due to impact deceleration. Also useable
by back country solo hikers and campers.

BT

ups.com...

Old September 21st 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Default Radio Communication to Start Launch

Our club has always used the standard hand signals
to let the tow pilot know the rope is taut and the
tow can begin.

We are considering short-handed operations in the early
hours of the day and will have just a wing runner.
Is there a standardized phrase or a recommended best
phrase to radio the tow pilot to begin the launch?
We need something that is specific for the tow pilot,
short, unambiguous, and easily understood.

Please don't say 'Go, Go, Go!' It violates almost
all the requirements.

Old September 21st 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Nyal Williams wrote:
Our club has always used the standard hand signals
to let the tow pilot know the rope is taut and the
tow can begin.

We are considering short-handed operations in the early
hours of the day and will have just a wing runner.
Is there a standardized phrase or a recommended best
phrase to radio the tow pilot to begin the launch?
We need something that is specific for the tow pilot,
short, unambiguous, and easily understood.

Please don't say 'Go, Go, Go!' It violates almost
all the requirements.

Give the wing runner a signal paddle (like a large ping-pong paddle) to
signal the tow plane. I usually use my floppy hat. We don't use a
launch marshall, but it sounds like your site uses a separate signal
person from the wing runner. Larger mirrors might help. You don't say
what limitations you're facing that prevents the tow pilot from seeing
the wing runner. Personally, if a wing runner can't perform the
hookup, the lookout, signal, and run the wing, I'd find someone else or
launch unassisted.

We've settled on three audio signals for winch launching on the radio,
each spoken three times. Up slack, go, and stop. Just who is giving
the radio signals? If there's no wing runner, but I don't think we've
settled on signals other than communicating with the tow pilot by
closing the canopy and giving a rudder wag.

In the UK we called 'all out' three times instead of 'go' on the winch.
If the problem is really an audio issue, buy some nice noise canceling
headsets.

Frank Whiteley

Old September 21st 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

Glider pilot calls.. "take up slack" and then counts down feet to a
stretched out cord, our tow pilots can see the line in the mirrors also. Tow
pilot can see the glider rudder waggle in most lighting conditions.. in the
mirrors.

Glider Pilot calls.. "I'm ready" if the tow pilot does not see the rudder,
calls prefaced by call signs
"11Z, Glider 9B is ready."
BT

Old September 21st 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

I usually use my floppy hat. We don't use a
launch marshall, but it sounds like your site uses a separate signal
person from the wing runner. Larger mirrors might help. You don't say
what limitations you're facing that prevents the tow pilot from seeing
the wing runner. Personally, if a wing runner can't perform the
hookup, the lookout, signal, and run the wing, I'd find someone else or
launch unassisted.

I agree, a person who cannot hook up, cannot run a wing, and does not know
the standard SSA signals, should not be left unassisted to launch a glider.

BT

Epirb or nt nimbusgb Soaring 5 July 14th 06 09:32 AM
ELT or EPIRB Mal Soaring 0 June 29th 04 01:41 PM