Engine dryers

Old September 24th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charles[_1_]

Default Engine dryers

Anyone have any comments or experience with these things that blow dry
air into the engine?

http://www.flyingsafer.com/2065.htm

I'm worried since I've only been able to fly every 2-3 weeks recently.

Old September 25th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BTIZ

sounds like the worst $450 I could spend
if you are flying every two to three weeks, and the oil temperatures are
reaching normal operating temperatures for at least 30 minutes, and the oil
changed every 50 hours or at least twice a year. Then excess moisture and
other contaminate should be taken care of in the oil, and running the engine
keeps the upper parts of the engine coated with a film of oil.

Why would I want to pump any air through my engine. And they are not blowing
"dry" air, just air of a lower humidity.

BT

Old September 25th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Aviation Consumer did an evaluation in the current issue. They liked
them, and recommended them, although they didn't test the brand that
you posted. They said if it pumped dry air as well as the others, it
should work fine. Also, they said the 100 watt bulb in the cowl flap
trick works too.

Bud

Old September 25th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BTIZ

the "humidity" level around here averages 0-5%.

how can it get any dryer.. I'd be afraid of drying out the oil film that
rests on the exposed metal

are we trying to keep an engine warm for the next engine start?

or preserving the engine by removing unwanted moisture

BT

ps.com...

Old September 25th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The OP asked about...."with these things that blow dry
air ".....

I live in the Mojave desert, where the air is very dry also, so a dryer
is usually not needed. But for those that live in a wet climate during
winter they might be a worthwhile thing. I have no opinion or
experience with them, I just thought that since the OP is interested, I
would point him towards an information source he might find helpful. As
for being afraid of drying out the oil film on the engine internals, I
don't know. Seems that for rust to form you need moisture. No moisture,
no rust, I would think.

Bud

BTIZ wrote:
the "humidity" level around here averages 0-5%.

how can it get any dryer.. I'd be afraid of drying out the oil film that
rests on the exposed metal

are we trying to keep an engine warm for the next engine start?

or preserving the engine by removing unwanted moisture

BT

ps.com...

Old September 26th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The 100 watt bulb trick is to merely place a drop cord with a 100 watt
bulb inside the cowl while parked and leave it on 24x7. This was first
suggested as a cheap and easy way to preheat, especially if 2 100 watt
bulbs were used. Simply put plugs or rags or such in the cowl openings,
place a blanket or 2 over the cowl, and while not as good as a good
preheater, did keep the engine at a temp above the desired level.
Aviation Consumer did an article on this in the past. They used the
same trick when they were evaluating the dryers, and found that as with
the preheaters, this trick did not perform as well as the devices
designed for that purpose, but did keep moisture out of the crankcase.
They found that this trick kept the air temp inside the crankcase from
5 to 10 deg above the dew point, so no moisture collected on the engine
internals.

Bud

Charles wrote:
wrote:

Aviation Consumer did an evaluation in the current issue. They liked
them, and recommended them, although they didn't test the brand that
you posted. They said if it pumped dry air as well as the others, it
should work fine. Also, they said the 100 watt bulb in the cowl flap
trick works too.

Bud

Hmm. I already have a heater, what's the bulb trick supposed to do?
There seems to be no concensus on whether heat makes matters better or
worse.

Old September 26th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

One comment on humidty levels in hangers. In my hanger in the spring
(Michigan) the humidity gets so high that the floor is actually wet.
Also the writing on a white board runs! It seems that the moisture
comes up from the concrete floor.

Regards,
Jerry

I hear you about the moisture. I used to live in a much more humid
climate (Huntsville, Al) and we had a similar issue about humidity,
especially in Winter. When I first bought my plane, I had to wait for a
hangar and thus was left on the tarmac. When a hangar became
available, I began to notice that the plane seemed muggier than before,
when left outside. I began to notice that the radios, etc. began to act
up when I first started a flight. After a while things would clear up
and work fine. It finally dawned on me that inside the hangar in
winter, etc. I never got the warming effect of the Sun (greenhouse I
guess). Moisture was collecting inside the plane at a much higher
level. You could even smell it. I think in many ways staying outside is
better. I often use to pull my plane outside the hangar even when I
wasn't flying just to get that sunshine on the plane to warm it up and
drive the humidity out. On many a cold day, it was nice and warm
inside the plane once you got inside. Those big windows really let the
Sun in and warmed things up even on the coldest of days.

Regards,
Bud