3-blade prop?

Old September 26th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Default 3-blade prop?

Jay Honeck wrote:

a) Stay the same over time
b) Get worse little by little
c) Let loose all at once

Is it oil or grease? Some people overgrease the
Hartzell props during maintenance and it slings a bit.
The older Hartzell diaphram props will also leak a bit
before the diaphram goes worse.

As for prop shops, I have had good luck with Sensenich
in Lancaster (they will also work on Hartzells) and
H&H propeller I believe is the other shop. I'd stay
away from the Hartzell factory shop in Piqua at all costs.
Old September 26th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

A friends O-360-A1A started misting his windshield. I think it turned out
to be from a front bearing on the engine.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

"ktbr" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:
Anyone got any experience with CS props going bad? The oil on the
windshield was minimal, and there was only slight evidence of oil on
one blade. Is this something that could:

a) Stay the same over time

Yes
b) Get worse little by little

Yes, or even get better.
c) Let loose all at once

Probably not, but of course you should have it all
inspected by your A&P, or just take off the spinner
and have a look yourself to see if its even coming
from the prop/hub.

A small amount of oil on the windscreen now and
then does happen, especially when weather temp
changes a lot. And, it may not be coming from the
prop. You'd be suprised at just how such a very small
amount of oil can get slung around by the prop and
get on the windscreen.

Old September 26th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug[_1_]

The Hartzell constant speed prop on my Husky blew a grease seal and
grease covered my front wind so completely I had to look out the side
to land. It was a bit scary. The prop didn't need a complete rebuild
but needed to have the seals re-done.

Old September 26th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-09-26, Jay Honeck wrote:

Anyone got any experience with CS props going bad? The oil on the
windshield was minimal, and there was only slight evidence of oil on
one blade. Is this something that could:

I had that problem when I first got my PA-24-260. The leak was actually
from the prop governor, not the prop. On my IO-540, the mount point is
on the left front just inside the cowl opening. Oil would come out (by
buffeting?) and mist the windshield lightly and also run back under the
cowl and streak out the oil filler. It was so slow that it would take
several flights to get the oil door if I cleaned under the cowl.

I found most of the leaking happened between flights, so I started wiping
off the control arm before flying and one time I pushed on the rotating
part and it popped in and "seated" and it quit leaking!

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 26th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Mike Noel wrote:
A friends O-360-A1A started misting his windshield. I think it turned out
to be from a front bearing on the engine.

When mine did it, it turned out to be the prop governor had sprung a
leak, and was intermittently spraying a stream of oil at the prop.
Old September 26th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Is it oil or grease? Some people overgrease the
Hartzell props during maintenance and it slings a bit.

Well, we thought it was oil, at first, because of the streaking, but
when we looked closer at the "bugs" on our windshield, they looked like
tiny little flecks of grease.

There was a trace of oily coating on the back side of one of the prop
blades, which we *thought* was oil, but I suppose it could be greasy
residue, flung under centrifugal force? Dunno.

My A&P did grease the prop hub at our last annual, and the weather has
been pretty hot ever since. This leak appeared (I guess not
surprisingly) on a flight after our first "cold snap" of the year.

I've spoken with my mechanic, and he advised that we clean it up and
watch it closely, but take no action at this time.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 27th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BTIZ

I have flown an arrow with the 3 blade conversion.. a pronounced no
operating zone.. around 2100RPM? and a pronounced vibration when reducing
power through that range..

granted.. it's not an O-540, on the arrow
the O-540 on the pawnee pulling 250hp and fixed pitch has no vibration

BT

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
We were hoping that our prop would last until the city was done
repaving our horrible taxiways. There was no sense in replacing it
while we were literally picking up stone chips on every flight.

Well, on our first flight after getting back in our own hangar, with
our beautiful new taxiways (after fighting for 8 years to get them
resurfaced!), we picked up a nice thin sheen of oil on the windshield.

We've cleaned everything up, and plan on keeping a close eye on it, but
I know we're getting close to needing to do something with the prop --
it's past due in time.

We would either go with an overhaul, or now would be the time to
install a 3-blade prop, both for inproved smoothness of operation (the
Lyc O-540 ain't known for smoothness) and improved ground clearance (we
like grass strips).

Any input either way would be great. Anyone converted to the 3-blade
prop in the Pathfinder/Dakota/Cherokee Six line? Anything good or bad
to say would be helpful.

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 27th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns

Last year when we had grease leaking from one of our props, Maxwell
http://hcsweb.com/maxwell/ in Minneapolis was adimit about regreasing it
with a thicker grease than had previously been used. I think they went from
Aeroshell 6 to Aeroshell 5 because they've seen 6 ooze past the seals in hot
weather. Anyway, they had a pretty strong opinion about it and they're well
known as one of the best prop shops in the Midwest. They were also pretty
adimit about not over greasing the props. Infact Hartzell even changed
their recommended practices to specify that you only add up to a maximum of
one ounce of grease or until it flows freely from the open zirk opening,
which ever comes first.
http://206.190.175.122/pdfs/sl184.pd...C-SL-61-184%22

Give Maxwell a call. Paul's Prop Delivery Service ships props at great
rates and with great care!

Jim

oups.com...

Old September 27th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
zatatime

On 25 Sep 2006 20:31:35 -0700, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Any input either way would be great. Anyone converted to the 3-blade
prop in the Pathfinder/Dakota/Cherokee Six line? Anything good or bad
to say would be helpful.

I studied this ad nauseum when I sent my prop out for an overhaul and
one of the blades was bad. I think alot of the decision will depend
on what type of blades you have now. If you have the 1A blades and
can't get a new blade see how much it would cost to buy a new 2 blade
set up vs. a new 3-blade - I haven't looked at the numbers recently.
1A blades are very hard to come by (my prop shop wouldn't even make
one call to try to find one, I had to do it all myself). I ended up
finding a 1A blade in Denmark which is in fantastic shape.

If you have the 1BF blade type you should be able to find replacements
easy if you need them. For me the added drag on a plane that already
has poor glide characteristics along with many vibration complaints
from people I talked to who upped to 3 blades in similar aircraft,
significant expense, and unknown future ADs was enough to say no
thanks. The 3 blade prop is a composite so I doubt you can dress it
like an aluminum prop and who knows what will come out on them in the
next 10 years.

I also was interested in the ground clearance as I fly in and out of
grass fields about 30% of the time (one of which is pretty rough). I
have to say that I've never (knock on wood) had any problems with the
standard prop I have, even when my nose strut was lower than it should
be.

If your blades are good, no decision to be made at all. Do the
overhaul, and use what you have.

As far as prop shops, I would highly recommend AGAINST using Sensenich
Propeller service in Pennsylvania (not affiliated with Sensenich
propeller manufacturers). After they wouldn't help me find a blade,
they refused to give the bad one back to me. I struggled with them
for a long time to have the blade sent back with the prop when they
delivered it. Finally they agreed, but wouldn't you know, it was
conveniently left in the hangar back in PA when they showed up. I
called back and they told me to come pick it up. When I went out
there to get it no one could figure out where it was!!!!!!! Far too
many coincidences for me to swallow. My experience isn't alone, I
have 1 good friend and 2 others I know from flying who have had
similar experiences with poor service and non-return of parts. I did
see one post in favor of this shop. Maybe for fixed pitch they are
ok, but for a constant speed I'd stay farther away than where you live
from them.

I hope this helps you a little bit. Given the posts I've seen you
make touting the savings auto fuel gives you, I think the economics
may not add up.

(I own a 1967 235B by the way.)
Old September 27th 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack[_1_]

("Jim Burns" wrote)
Give Maxwell a call. Paul's Prop Delivery Service ships props at great
rates and with great care!

I might even have that old prop-pillow around here someplace, still. g

BTW, Crystal Airport (MIC) is in a little developer/Mayor/neighbors bind
these days. Maybe Maxwell can join Bolduc, over at ANE, if things end up
going south for MIC.

http://www.bolducaviation.com/

Crystal Airport (MIC) is 8 nm SW of (ANE) Anoka County-Blaine Airport.

http://hcsweb.com/maxwell/

Montblack