RV

Old July 10th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley

Default RV

I am looking for some feedback regarding towing glider trailers (Duo
Discus) with a Truck Slide on RV such as
http://www.lancecamper.com/2006/1191.html
Any info is appreciated

Old July 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't have direct experience with that type of RV, but if I traveled
alone or with just the wife, it looks like a very attractive option.

It all depends on the truck of course -- you'll need something that can
take at least 5000 pounds in the bed. If you have that, the glider
trailer won't add much -- ~150 pounds tongue weight and ~1800 pounds,
almost nothing compared to the 12500 pound towing capacity some F-350s
are rated for.

~ted/2NO

Old July 10th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jphoenix

I towed a Nimbus 3 trailer (probably same weight as your Duo) with a
Dodge 3500 reg cab long bed, DRW, Cummins and a 2800 pound camper. Not
a problem. I would not have liked doing this with a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton
with single rear wheels. The dual rear wheels add a huge amount of
stability.

I just upgraded my 3500 to a quad cab, 4wd, drw, 3500, cummins for just
under $34k, including satellite radio. My camper cost about $9k used,
has AC, microwave, full bath and queen size aero bed.

The Cummins pulls the load easily and the turbo makes molehills out of
mountains.

Jim

Old July 10th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley

I am thinking of about the same spec as your new truck but there are 2
things that I am not sure about

1. the proposed RV Weighs 3900lbs dry
2. The Unit is also 11ft9inches long and requires a 42inch towbar
extension and I just wonder how the Cobra Trailer would perform when
towed on this? I am looking at getting maybe the shocks upgraded and
adding some Firestone Airbags.
I also intend to import this combination to Europe and therefore would
have little comeback if it does not work properly.

Bruno

Old July 10th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Lance Camper web page shows several examples of a significant
trailer (including a boat that must weigh a few thousand pounds) being
towed behind one of their campers. I'm sure a call to their office or
one of their dealers could get this question answered.

tuno

Old July 11th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jphoenix

Even a dual rear wheel one ton is getting close to the limit with a
3900 lb. camper. Especially when you add quad cab, 4wd and turbo diesel
engine - all that weight added comes right off the allowable camper
load. The allowable goes down with a 4by also because of the weight of
the additional drivetrain and the higher cg the camper will be at. This
all works to decrease your tow limit and the 42" extension limits the
tongue weight on the class IV hitch even further. It can all be done (I
did it), but there are long threads on rv.net about overloaded pickups,
etc.

Lots of discussion in that forum about a highly loaded camper/pickup
pulling a trailer and experiencing a sudden tire deflation, loss of
control at higher speeds can be a result if it's a single rear wheel.
There's no comparison between the stability of an srw pickup and a drw
pickup.

You can go the RV route, but I like having the 8' pickup bed for
hauling stuff from Home Depot and then to the dump.

Turbodiesel is the way to go, gassers are ok, but lose power because no
turbo. I guess that's Ok if you stay in the flatlands, but who does
that? Plus you can run biodiesel if you're feeling green.

Jim