How to Share a Flight Recorder in a Club?

Old September 23rd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default How to Share a Flight Recorder in a Club?

Our club has recently purchased an electronic flight recorder
(Cambridge 302) to be used by the membership in the various club ships.
This is to replace the barograph which seems to be continuously out of
certification, out of paper, not any good for tasks, etc, etc.

The question has arisen about the pilot and ship information that
should be stored in the flight recorder. I know that if each pilot
enter his name and ship info before each flight, that the SSA Badge
committee will be happy. However this is tedious (connect to a
computer or PDA) and prone to error. Nothing would be worse than
setting a record only to find that the log is in someone else's name.
Of course this would be no one's fault but the PIC but the situation is
definately something to avoid if possible.

What I would like to do is enter generic information into the flight
recorder and let the observer certify that this particular pilot flew
this flight. The generic information would be "Club Name Pilots" and
"Club Name Fleet". I feel that this is similar to the club use of a
barograph. It is also similar to a private ship owned by a
parternership. Maybe leaving the info blank is the best approach.

I have placed a request with the SSA to see if my "generic info" idea
is a good course of action. No response to date. What are your
thoughts? What does your club do?

Thanks, John

Old September 23rd 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

ContestID67 schrieb:

Nothing would be worse than
setting a record only to find that the log is in someone else's name.

What I would like to do is enter generic information into the flight
recorder and let the observer certify that this particular pilot flew
this flight.

This is how I logged my silver C distance and they approved it. But
then, this wasn't exactly a record...

Stefan
Old September 23rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

ContestID67 wrote:
What I would like to do is enter generic information into the flight
recorder and let the observer certify that this particular pilot flew
this flight. The generic information would be "Club Name Pilots" and
"Club Name Fleet". I feel that this is similar to the club use of a
barograph. It is also similar to a private ship owned by a
parternership. Maybe leaving the info blank is the best approach.

Blank or generic is fine. The paperwork will just need to indicate the
"discrepancy" in the IGC file.

-Tom

Old September 23rd 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

If you use GPS_LOG WinCE to make flight declaration to Cambridge 302
and other recorders, it should fill in the appropriate information
based on the information either stored or entered on PDA. If you share
the PDA in the club, GPS_LOG has a club feature that makes
selecting/entering right information for declaration easy.

Henryk Birecki

Old September 23rd 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Dickson

I would have thought the 302 was the worst choice of
FR for swapping between gliders as it's panel mounted.

Old September 23rd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mark Dickson wrote:
I would have thought the 302 was the worst choice of
FR for swapping between gliders as it's panel mounted.

At 16:12 23 September 2006, Contestid67 wrote:
Our club has recently purchased an electronic flight
recorder
(Cambridge 302) to be used by the membership in the
various club ships.

Thanks, John

Horrible choice. I'm flying with 302 for a number of years and
love it. But if I had to do swapping between two or more gliders, well,
my preference would be a.... Barograph.
The entry of the pilot name would be the least of my worry. The
conections of electrical systems and all pneumatics will have to be
unified in all concern gliders. My suggestion would be to colour code
all conections in all used gliders in the uniform way (like the
conections in my computer). Also remember to change 302's polar file
for different gliders.
Good lack, Richard K.

Old September 24th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

"ContestID67" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our club has recently purchased an electronic flight recorder
(Cambridge 302) to be used by the membership in the various club ships.
This is to replace the barograph which seems to be continuously out of
certification, out of paper, not any good for tasks, etc, etc.

Is this the proper use of a 302? All that in and out of different gliders,
having to reset the plumbing each time for the static and TE, having to re
accomplish the paper work, installing and removing equipment may require
Form 337s and log book entries by the appropriate mechanic?

There are other "gps data only" loggers that do not tie into the instrument
panel that can be supplied power and put in the "baro box", is easy to move
from ship to ship, declarations with proper names etc, are made from a lap
top and then uploaded to the data logger and handed to the pilot or OO.

BT

Old September 24th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Ditto, Harley.

Passing around a 302 means pulling off pitot, TE, and
static lines, power cable, pda cable (if using pda),
temperature probe, and antenna cable. I suppose if
they use a 'quick disconnect' feature for the pneumatic
lines, they won't have to replace them all of the time.

But it sure seems like a Volkslogger or Colibri or
the new itty bitty EW recorder would have worked very
nicely.

What connections are required for the 302A? Just power
and antenna?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 03:18 24 September 2006, Hl Falbaum wrote:
Please tell us you are using a Camb 302A, not a 302.

--
Hartley Falbaum

oups.com...

Old September 24th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

The 302A has power and antenna inputs and gps outputs to drive a PDA. It
can, IIRC, drive an iPAQ with enough current to leave the backlight on, and
it is 5 V so no converter is needed.

The Vario functions of the 302 woould be a real PITA to transfer from ship
to ship in a club environment. Too many risks of mishandling the setup could
lead to disaster.

--
Hartley Falbaum
USA "KF"

"Ray Lovinggood" wrote in
message ...
Ditto, Harley.

Passing around a 302 means pulling off pitot, TE, and
static lines, power cable, pda cable (if using pda),
temperature probe, and antenna cable. I suppose if
they use a 'quick disconnect' feature for the pneumatic
lines, they won't have to replace them all of the time.

But it sure seems like a Volkslogger or Colibri or
the new itty bitty EW recorder would have worked very
nicely.

What connections are required for the 302A? Just power
and antenna?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 03:18 24 September 2006, Hl Falbaum wrote:
Please tell us you are using a Camb 302A, not a 302.

--
Hartley Falbaum

roups.com...