Stucdent Pilot PIC Time

Old September 27th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Snow

Default Stucdent Pilot PIC Time

Around our flight school there seems to be dissention as to whether a
student pilot, post solo, can log pic time when there is no CFI in the
airplane.

It looks like the FAR says they can as they are the sole manipulator. What
is the group consensus??

Old September 27th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

William Snow wrote:
Around our flight school there seems to be dissention as to whether a
student pilot, post solo, can log pic time when there is no CFI in the
airplane.

It looks like the FAR says they can as they are the sole manipulator. What
is the group consensus??

A student pilot, currently endorsed for solo of a given type
of aircraft in his log book and student pilot certificate may
log PIC time while flying solo in that type aircraft.
Old September 27th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"William Snow" wrote in message
. ..
Around our flight school there seems to be dissention as to whether a
student pilot, post solo, can log pic time when there is no CFI in the
airplane.

It looks like the FAR says they can as they are the sole manipulator. What
is the group consensus??

The relevant regulation is 61.51e4. Being the sole manipulator does *not*
entitle a student pilot to log PIC time; only a sport, recreational,
private, or commercial pilot can log PIC time as sole manipulator(see
61.51e1).

However, 61.51e4 clearly states that a student pilot can log PIC time while
flying solo. What reason did anyone at your flight school give for doubting
that?

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...4/14tab_02.tpl

--Gary

Old September 27th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

William Snow wrote:
Around our flight school there seems to be dissention as to whether a
student pilot, post solo, can log pic time when there is no CFI in the
airplane.

It looks like the FAR says they can as they are the sole manipulator. What
is the group consensus??

Huh? Why wouldn't he? If there's no one else in the cockpit, who else possibly
could be in command?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 27th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
William Snow wrote:
Around our flight school there seems to be dissention as to whether a
student pilot, post solo, can log pic time when there is no CFI in the
airplane.

It looks like the FAR says they can as they are the sole manipulator.
What
is the group consensus??

Huh? Why wouldn't he? If there's no one else in the cockpit, who else
possibly could be in command?

You're addressing a separate question. Being PIC isn't the same as being
entitled to log PIC time; those two concepts are different, with different
criteria set forth by different regulations.

--Gary

Old September 27th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

You have too many old people at your FBO. I think there used to be some
differences in prehistoric times. Today, student pilots are specificly
allowed to log PIC while solo under 61.51(e) (assuming properly
endorsed, medical, etc).
Also, remember that *being PIC* (often called "serving as PIC") is a
very, very different subject than logging PIC. You log PIC because
61.51(e) says so, end of story, being PIC doesn't come into play.

-Robert

Old September 27th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

I think that you would be doing a public service if you bought a copy of the
regulations for your flight school so that similar questions can be answered
in the future.

Bob Gardner

Old September 27th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote:

61.51e4 clearly states that a student pilot can log PIC time while
flying solo. What reason did anyone at your flight school give for
doubting
that?

I presume the reason they doubted it was that once a upon a
time a student could not log PIC. The student had to log
"solo" time instead. "Once upon a time" was a long while
ago, but there are still some around who remember those days
(although I'm surprised they wouldn't know it has changed).

I started flying in 1944. I do not recall a time when a student pilot flying
solo was not allowed to log as PIC.????

Old September 27th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Gary Drescher wrote:

However, 61.51e4 clearly states that a student pilot can log PIC time while
flying solo. What reason did anyone at your flight school give for doubting
that?

This is correct and it was a change that came with the 1995 Part 61
rewrite. Prior to then, there was no provision for student pilots
to log pilot-in-command time. This may be what confuses your
instructors.

It further confuses them as to this question: I logged solo time
back before Part 61 changed and allowed me to count it as pic time
as well. Now when I apply for my instrument rating do I count the
20 or so ours of pre-private solo time as PIC? Who knows.
Didn't really make a difference with close to 600 hours otherwise
logged.
Old September 27th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

birdog wrote:

I started flying in 1944. I do not recall a time when a student pilot flying
solo was not allowed to log as PIC.????

They certainly could not log it between 1981 when I started flying in
August of 1997 when the Part 61 rewrite went into effect.