Lubricating the primer shaft

Old November 18th 03, 12:29 AM
Michael Horowitz

Default Lubricating the primer shaft

I know that the primer shaft comes in contact with gasoline so that
any lube I put on the shaft will be washed away, but can anyone
recommend how to make the primer slide easier? Worked fine during the
summer, but last weekend it was the dickens to pull out and push back
in. - Mike
Old November 18th 03, 02:47 AM
Rich S.

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I know that the primer shaft comes in contact with gasoline so that
any lube I put on the shaft will be washed away, but can anyone
recommend how to make the primer slide easier? Worked fine during the
summer, but last weekend it was the dickens to pull out and push back
in. - Mike

Mike........

That's why they pay those A&P's the big bucks. They have to buy a small can
of primer lube when they are in training. They still have half a can when
they retire.

Rich S.

Old November 18th 03, 03:42 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

I know that the primer shaft comes in contact with gasoline so that
any lube I put on the shaft will be washed away, but can anyone
recommend how to make the primer slide easier? Worked fine during the
summer, but last weekend it was the dickens to pull out and push back
in. - Mike

Mike........

That's why they pay those A&P's the big bucks. They have to buy a small can
of primer lube when they are in training.

Rich S.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yep.... that and a canister of prop wash.

Barnyard BOb --
Old November 18th 03, 04:07 AM
guynoir

This might work.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/fuelube.php

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Old November 18th 03, 04:42 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Michael Horowitz wrote:

I know that the primer shaft comes in contact with gasoline so that
any lube I put on the shaft will be washed away, but can anyone
recommend how to make the primer slide easier? Worked fine during the
summer, but last weekend it was the dickens to pull out and push back
in. - Mike

Yep -- the product is called "Fuel Lube," available from Aircraft Spruce
(P/N 09-25300) @ $22.95 per 1-lb can. The stuff is also good for fuel
valves -- I have the old, cone-shaped, cork type, which needs a VERY
light coating of the cork every couple of years. A 1# can is about a
1000 year supply for the average airplane owner.

It is also good to seal oil screen flanges, magneto bosses and drain
plugs, fuel cap gaskets, etc. I also used it to lube the O-rings in my
electric mogas pump, as unleaded mogas has very little lubrication value.

It is a very waxy substance and resists fuel and oil.
Old November 18th 03, 03:54 PM
Dan Thomas

Orval Fairbairn wrote in message .. .
In article ,
Michael Horowitz wrote:

[...]

And ultimately, the primer gets stickier than ever when Fuellube
is used on it. Been there, done that.
Unleaded Mogas, as indicated, is part of the problem. Another
part is the NAS O-rings used in many primers; they're harder and exert
more friction on the primer bore. MS29513-012 rings work better. No
lube of any sort.
Fuellube is good for fuel valves and fittings. A one-pound can is
a 100-year supply for the average shop, not just an owner.

Dan
Old November 18th 03, 04:31 PM
- Barnyard BOb -

[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dan...
I'm with you on using fuel lube.

I finally cured my primer problem with a
garden variety hardware store O-ring.
Have no idea what its composition was.
For under a buck, I thought I could afford
to gamble a little. tic Tongue in cheek.

Barnyard BOb - heavy mogas user, especially in cars

Old November 19th 03, 04:34 PM
Model Flyer

"- Barnyard BOb -" wrote in message

That's why they pay those A&P's the big bucks. They have to buy a

small can
of primer lube when they are in training.

Rich S.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yep.... that and a canister of prop wash.

The real problem about the "prop wash" is, you can't see it unless
your on fire of the runway is under at least 4" or water and you
can't feel the effect of it until you flying a tail dragger for the
first time.:-)
--
---
Cheers,

Barnyard BOb --

Old November 20th 03, 12:22 AM
O-ring Seals

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:31:39 -0600, - Barnyard BOb -
wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dan...
I'm with you on using fuel lube.

I finally cured my primer problem with a
garden variety hardware store O-ring.
Have no idea what its composition was.
For under a buck, I thought I could afford
to gamble a little. tic Tongue in cheek.

Barnyard BOb - heavy mogas user, especially in cars

A shot of LPS-1 or Kroil's silicone lube from time to time when the
plunger is pulled back will work fine. Fuel Lube is just to gummy.

O-ring (a garden variety)
Old November 20th 03, 01:26 AM
Larry Smith

wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dan...
I'm with you on using fuel lube.

I finally cured my primer problem with a
garden variety hardware store O-ring.
Have no idea what its composition was.
For under a buck, I thought I could afford
to gamble a little. tic Tongue in cheek.

Barnyard BOb - heavy mogas user, especially in cars

A shot of LPS-1 or Kroil's silicone lube from time to time when the
plunger is pulled back will work fine. Fuel Lube is just to [sic] gummy.

O-ring (a garden variety)

Don't use "to" when "too" should be used. It suggests sloppy English,
sloppy standards, and stupidity.