DeLorme InReach Satellite Tracker FOR SALE

Old July 4th 13, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default DeLorme InReach Satellite Tracker FOR SALE

Delorme InReach For sale!

Exceptional units, exceptional service with 1 minute tracking, altitude, heading and speed vs. SPOT's horrible 10 minute tracking with no telemetry at all!!!!!!

Asking $200. New units are $300. this unit does everything the new unit does better via Bluetooth linkage to your smart phone!

Excellent condition. New this spring. 3.5 months old.

To buy or ask a question, email me at smfidlerATGmailDOTcom.

Thanks,

Sean
F2
Old July 4th 13, 09:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:41:00 AM UTC+2, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Delorme InReach For sale!

Exceptional units, exceptional service with 1 minute tracking, altitude, heading and speed vs. SPOT's horrible 10 minute tracking with no telemetry at all!!!!!!

Asking $200. New units are $300. this unit does everything the new unit does better via Bluetooth linkage to your smart phone!

Excellent condition. New this spring. 3.5 months old.

To buy or ask a question, email me at smfidlerATGmailDOTcom.

Thanks,

Sean
?$150
F2

And what is the monthly cost to have this wonderful service? Sure, the "horrible" Spot is pretty basic - but it's also pretty cheap at $150/year. As far as I can tell, the least expensive DeLorme service runs about $250/year - also for 10 minute tracking!

So, beware the hidden costs and be sure to check out Paul Remde's excellent breakdown of the (complicated!) DeLorme fee structure - and if it fits your needs and budget, go for it!

Me, I'm quite happy with my "horrible" Spot 1. But then, I'm a dinosaur who thinks anyone who spends any time on Facebook or Twitter needs to grow up and get a job... :^)

Seriously - both are great safety systems that are absolutely essential for any XC pilot - get one!

Kirk
66
Old July 4th 13, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:20:54 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:

And what is the monthly cost to have this wonderful service? Sure, the "horrible" Spot is pretty basic - but it's also pretty cheap at $150/year. As far as I can tell, the least expensive DeLorme service runs about $250/year - also for 10 minute tracking!

So, beware the hidden costs and be sure to check out Paul Remde's excellent breakdown of the (complicated!) DeLorme fee structure - and if it fits your needs and budget, go for it!

Me, I'm quite happy with my "horrible" Spot 1. But then, I'm a dinosaur who thinks anyone who spends any time on Facebook or Twitter needs to grow up and get a job... :^)

Seriously - both are great safety systems that are absolutely essential for any XC pilot - get one!

Kirk

66

Kirk,

Hidden costs? So InReach costs more than Spot . . . if they were close to equally capable devices, that might be a fair complaint. When you consider InReach does everything Spot does, only better and more reliably. Plus InReach provides worldwide two-way texting and email capability as well.

The two-way comm, plus the increased reliability of both tracking and SOS functions, is worth $100 a year. Especially when considered against the most recent appraisal of my butt.

bumper

Often being in areas with no cell coverage, I can still have two-way communication via text or email. That's worth the additional $100 a year to me. The additional tracking reliability, considering the value I place on my butt, is priceless.

Old July 5th 13, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Kirk,

I think your analysis is a somewhat flawed. There is a very big difference between 10 minute Spot intervals and 10 minute InReach intervals that include altitude, heading and speed. To someone interested in knowing how your doing, knowing altitude is huge.

Also huge is the ability to fully interact with your retriever / rescuer. With Spot you push buttons and hope; with InReach you send arbitrary messages and get replies. I once had an occasion that Spot completely failed to include coordinates in its transmission. The lack of feedback in the Spot scheme is a very big weakness in comparison to InReach. With InReach you can include the gate code, driving instructions etc.

The cost difference isn't really as you represented either. If you sign-up for Aviation 1 plan then the annual cost is $143. With that you can set 10 minute tracking intervals and if you fly a lot you'd likely have some overage cost during the peak season. But the InReach overage charges (unlike cell phone overage charges) are very reasonable. So, for many of us, the Aviation 1 plan will result in a total annual cost that should be fairly comparable to Spot's $150/year. For those that are willing to spend a bit more, you can signup for Avaiation 2 or 3 or 4 and commensurately reduce the tracking interval setting --the cost goes up rather gradually for those higher plans. This is all spelled out clearly at the Cumulus Soaring website.

Having used both gadgets, I think there's no comparison between Spot and Inreach.
Old July 5th 13, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

I am paying $35 a month for enough data to cover all my flying. If I flew more it might be $45 a month.

Every time I fly I have 10-20 people who watch the flight in real time. Probably not true of all the spots in the World! Reason: paint drying is far more fun...
Old July 5th 13, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, July 5, 2013 3:33:12 AM UTC+2, Sean F (F2) wrote:
I am paying $35 a month for enough data to cover all my flying. If I flew more it might be $45 a month.

Every time I fly I have 10-20 people who watch the flight in real time. Probably not true of all the spots in the World! Reason: paint drying is far more fun...

Then obviously, Sean, for you the InReach is the perfect choice, you wouldn't want to leave all your groupies hanging, would you?

Me, I'm perfectly happy with Spot.

You get what you pay for.

My point was that both systems are useful - but either should be considered as an essential piece of XC kit.

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old July 5th 13, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, July 5, 2013 1:42:10 AM UTC+2, Steve Koerner wrote:
[...]

On the contrary, Steve, I think my analysis is spot on (pun intended, couldn't resist). I agree that the Inreach provides more capabilities, but at a price - just like a ASG-29 provides more capability than a 1-26 - at a price.

Bottom line - either is better than none - whether it's a glider or a GPS tracker!

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old July 5th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

I guess my hope was, gentleman, that our sport (specifically the SSA) would see the value in stronger adoption of an impressive GPS system (Delorme InReach and Iridium network vs Spot and its poor, unreliable network) that transforms watching our sport (contests, cross country, record flying) into an interesting realtime viewing experience for our valued spectators.

The SSA has invested a lot of time into the sailplane tracking page which they have recently developed. Thus far, unfortunately, t's a massive flop because the content (SPOT with its awful 10 minute, no telemetry location info) is WATCHING GRASS GROWING BORING! DeLorme in contrast offers 1 minute updates combined with altitude, heading and airspeed. It is simply not comparable. If all pilots had DeLorme the silane tracking page would be massively popular and similar to watching the live tracking of Grand Prix soaring.

Also, the idea that 10 minute updates is somehow safe in a crash is flawed. If the crash is severe (pilot alive but uncounsious or the Spot is broken) you could be as far as 20 miles away from your last known location. DeLorme's IRIDIUM NETWORK allows for 1 min tracking. So a mile or two is as far as you would be away from the last known location. That is the whole point of their aviation level service. Safety. Crashes which require rescue are usually severe. Minutes count if you are to survive.... Spot is not designed to track aircraft. It's designed to track 3 mph hikers!!!!

Delorme = Safer, far better functionality both in the unit and on their website. Altitude, heading and airspeed. Actually interesting to watch.

Spot and DeLorme are far, far apart. DeLorme is far superior to Spot. It's worth a few extra buck a month if you value VALUE. It's not worth it if you do not value VALUE or you are cheap. We fly gliders worth many tens of thousands of dollars with significant inherent risks. Especially in contests and cross country flying.

Get a DeLorme. You will not be disappointed. Don't be cheap. Your worth higher levels of safety!

Sean
F2
Old July 5th 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

My point seems to be missed... You can choose the Aviation 1 plan for InReach and pay quite close to the same as you do for Spot's contract. You then have a vastly better gadget that is producing more interesting and useful data points every 10 minutes and provides 2-way arbitrary messaging and it does not cost more for the service contract.

The idea that InReach costs more is only for guys like Sean that want the high sampling rate. You don't have to set a high sampling rate -- you can set it at 10 minutes. It seems to me that there's actually no rationale for Spot except that you may want to keep it until your Spot contract runs out.. And, be careful on that sco Spot is setup to automatically renew unless you notify.

There's a one time cost to upgrade, of course, but that doesn't count.
Old July 6th 13, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_2_]

Steve Koerner wrote:
My point seems to be missed... You can choose the Aviation 1 plan for
InReach and pay quite close to the same as you do for Spot's contract.
You then have a vastly better gadget that is producing more interesting
and useful data points every 10 minutes and provides 2-way arbitrary
messaging and it does not cost more for the service contract.

The idea that InReach costs more is only for guys like Sean that want the
high sampling rate. You don't have to set a high sampling rate -- you
can set it at 10 minutes. It seems to me that there's actually no
rationale for Spot except that you may want to keep it until your Spot
contract runs out. And, be careful on that sco Spot is setup to
automatically renew unless you notify.

There's a one time cost to upgrade, of course, but that doesn't count.

I agree with Steve and Sean. The InReach is a far superior service at an
equivalent cost to Spot and an immeasurably superior service if you are
willing to pay a bit more for a faster tracking interval that isn't
available for Spot - but you don't have to pay more if you don't want to.
They even have the option to upgrade your plan for the peak season.

I believe the faster sampling combined with altitude info and superior
reporting reliability would make it possible to generate real-time
estimates of task speeds, rankings and scores for all InReach-equipped
gliders in a contest. Could be pretty interesting.
--
9B

DeLorme inReach SE units now in stock Paul Remde Soaring 1 July 4th 13 01:05 AM
Delorme InReach reporting elevation or altitude ?? [email protected] Soaring 6 March 3rd 13 05:57 PM
DeLorme inReach Paul Remde Soaring 8 February 12th 13 08:26 PM
Any user reports on Delorme Inreach? Steve Koerner Soaring 8 March 16th 12 07:51 PM
More on Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 12 October 8th 11 05:50 AM