Question on fuel consumption

Old October 21st 04, 07:39 AM
Shemp McGurk

Default Question on fuel consumption

The government routinely publishes a list of miles-per-gallon
consumption ratings for all cars sold in the U.S.

Does anyone know whether such a list exists for aviation?

I'm looking for a list of fuel consumption ratings for:

- private jets

- commercial jets.

....AND, if such a list exists, a per-passenger fuel consumption by
type of aircraft.

I thank you in advance for your answers...
Old October 21st 04, 10:35 AM
Cub Driver

Zero Six Hotel burns four gallons an hour on average, if that helps

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old October 21st 04, 01:46 PM
Peter R.

Cub Driver ) wrote:

Zero Six Hotel burns four gallons an hour on average, if that helps

.... during it's fifty nm journey in a no wind situation. ;-)

--
Peter

Old October 21st 04, 06:55 PM
C Kingsbury

"Shemp McGurk" wrote in message
om...

Does anyone know whether such a list exists for aviation?

Nope. Too many variables. Winds, air temperature, and payload all affect
this pretty significantly, particularly in jets. Not to mention the huge
variety of airframe/engine combos out there.

I'm looking for a list of fuel consumption ratings for:

- private jets

- commercial jets.

...AND, if such a list exists, a per-passenger fuel consumption by
type of aircraft.

I thank you in advance for your answers...

If you don't need a precise number, look at the aircraft's range with
maximum fuel and its fuel capacity. You can get this from the manufacturers'
websites. Jets typically think about fuel consumption in pounds, so keep in
mind there are about 6 pounds of Jet-A to the gallon.

Regarding weight, there are a few numbers you can look at: MGTOW (max gross
takeoff weight), empty weight, and "payload with full fuel." If they don't
list how much fuel it carries for maximum range, look at the weights.
Generally speaking, fuel weight will equal MGTOW minus empty weight minus
full fuel payload.

FYI, I once ballparked a Gulfstream V's fuel consumption as something like 1
gallon per mile, and a 747-400's as 6 gallons per mile.

If there's a specific scenario you're trying to examine (i.e. Learjet versus
Hummer H2) I suggest asking that question specifically. Odds are someone
here will be able to provide far more precise numbers than I could.

Also, you might try calling a local jet charter operator. They can surely
give you numbers for the planes they operate.

Best,
-cwk.

Old October 21st 04, 08:26 PM
Morgans

"Malcolm Teas" wrote

Miles per gallon measurements don't work that well for airplanes.
After all, there's factors like the plane's headwind or tailwind
speed,

airplanes are usually figured at
gallons/hour consumption.

-Malcolm Teas

Yes, we all know that, but approximations (meaningful ones) can still be
made. Yes, you would have to figure with no headwind, and direct route, (or
airways for big stuff) and you would do the same for the ground
transportation. Reality would be different, but that is beside the point.

Figure fuel used for a round trip to a destination far enough away to allow
getting to cruise altitude, then figure gas mileage for a car for the same
destination, and there you have it.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old October 22nd 04, 02:08 AM
C J Campbell

"Shemp McGurk" wrote in message
om...
The government routinely publishes a list of miles-per-gallon
consumption ratings for all cars sold in the U.S.

Does anyone know whether such a list exists for aviation?

It does not exist. The usual method of predicting fuel mileage in an
airplane is to take the gallons per hour, which is relatively constant at a
particular altitude and power setting, and then find out how long it will
take to reach the destination, taking into account wind, payload, and other
factors.

Some small single piston engine planes can easily exceed thirty miles per
gallon, while others are doing well to get a third of that.

Most of the manufacturers post performance specs on their web sites for
various models of aircraft. Boeing, Airbus, Raytheon (Beech), Bombardier,
Cessna, Cirrus, Piper, Lancair, Mooney, Diamond and many other manufacturers
all maintain good web sites that will tell you how their airplanes perform.

Most pilots would look at a government listing of miles per gallon with some
suspicion anyway. Pilots like their fuel consumption figures to be a little
more accurate than the list that is published for automobiles. After all, we
can't just pull over to the side of the road if we run out of gas.

Old October 22nd 04, 03:30 AM
Icebound

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...

If you don't need a precise number, look at the aircraft's range with
maximum fuel and its fuel capacity. You can get this from the
manufacturers'
websites. Jets typically think about fuel consumption in pounds, so keep
in
mind there are about 6 pounds of Jet-A to the gallon.

Avgas is 6 pounds, but I think Jet Fuel is 6.5

http://www.fs.fed.us/im/directives/f...5709.16_30.txt

Old October 22nd 04, 05:25 AM
Shemp McGurk

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message link.net...
[...]

Actually, your Gulfstream V comparison with the 747-400 is exactly the
kind of thing I'm looking for: the per-passenger miles-per-gallon on a
private jet versus the per-passenger miles-per-gallon on a commercial
jet.

And from the example you give above, it's about what I thought it
would be: a 747 with, say, 300 passengers is consuming 6 gallons per
mile and a Gulfstream with, say, 10 passengers is consuming 1 gallon
per mile, the per-passenger miles-per-gallon is WAY higher with the
private jet than with the commercial jet.

Yes?