Q: What can a Commercial Helicopter Pilot Licence holder expect to earn?

Old September 29th 03, 11:03 AM
Trentus

Default Q: What can a Commercial Helicopter Pilot Licence holder expect to earn?

I have a number of options for the use of a recent inheritance, one of which
is to fullfil a lifetime desire to fly choppers.
What could a Helicopter Pilot expect to earn, flying in Australia?

I realise this may be a little like asking, "How long is a piece of string?"
(A: twice as long as half it's length) but there must be some ballpark
figures available.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Trentus

Old October 1st 03, 12:20 AM
centurion_of_evil

U wanna fly people round Vegas or other sites for 10 minutes at a time? U
wanna drop HVAC units on roofs or lay cable in the middle of the forest? U
wanna fly heavy with water looking for hot spots while looking out for a
heavy fixed wing that is looking for the same hot spot all the while your in
haze so thick you have to use your IFR training book to write your last will
and testiment? Or do you just wanna sit around an airport all day waiting
for that fat SOB Exec to get done with his meeting? Your choice 35k to 135k

Zim
I kan fli but I kaint speel, what the hell kinda bozo's are still on the
ground?

"Trentus" wrote in message
I have a number of options for the use of a recent inheritance, one of

which
is to fullfil a lifetime desire to fly choppers.
What could a Helicopter Pilot expect to earn, flying in Australia?

I realise this may be a little like asking, "How long is a piece of

string?"
(A: twice as long as half it's length) but there must be some ballpark

Old October 1st 03, 01:23 PM
Trentus

"centurion_of_evil" wrote in
message ink.net...
U wanna fly people round Vegas or other sites for 10 minutes at a time? U
wanna drop HVAC units on roofs or lay cable in the middle of the forest?

wanna fly heavy with water looking for hot spots while looking out for a
heavy fixed wing that is looking for the same hot spot all the while your

in
haze so thick you have to use your IFR training book to write your last

will
and testiment? Or do you just wanna sit around an airport all day waiting
for that fat SOB Exec to get done with his meeting? Your choice 35k to

135k

Zim
I kan fli but I kaint speel, what the hell kinda bozo's are still on the
ground?

Thanks for that,
As it happens I discovered our wunaful guvmnt has decided to put up the
"award rates" for helicopter pilots on the internet.
http://www.osiris.gov.au/html/awards/8/H0036/top.htm if your interested.
There are some odd conditions, such as employer having to provide
loss-of-licence insurance, and a minimum $180,000 life insurance policy for
the pilot. Even "camping" allowances for pilots having to camp out while on
a flight.

Here in Australia, all professions have an "award rate" or basically a
minimum wage and conditions.
So having had a look at the above award, I'm now bitterly disappointed, and
starting to wonder whether there are seriously better things to do with a
recent unexpected inheritance than spend it on a CPL (H)
The minimum wage was around $34,000 which is only $6 grand more than what I
made last year as a cleaner (janitor for the US readers) and rises to about
$48,456. Now bearing in mind these are $-Aus not $US, those are very poor
rates considering a cleaner gets only slightly less (mind you even
"cleaners" here are now having to do an "apprenticeship" of a couple of
years, the governments idea to bring industry wide standard skill levels)
Considering the cost of the licence will be around $40,000, it could take,
at worst case scenario, up to 6.66years to get the money back over doing my
current job.
Yet to do a $10,000 IT degree, with guaranteed placement afterwards, would
leave me $30,000 to spend, and get me at least the same minimum wage, and
most likely a hell of a lot more. But then, consider - LOOK DOWN ON PEAK
HOUR from a chopper, or be PART OF PEAK HOUR on the way to the office.
Hmmm.... look to the skies, here I come.

Trentus

Old October 1st 03, 05:53 PM
centurion_of_evil

Wow, You Blokes have that kind of structure for all work fields? It seems
to put the USs "at will" employment to shame, Government mandated work
contracts, Im calling my Congressman.

"Trentus" wrote in message
"centurion_of_evil" wrote in
message ink.net...

Old October 1st 03, 07:57 PM
ChopperJon2

I would'nt fly a helicopter in Australia if i was you. They do not keep track
of hours in use, which determines a maintenance schedule. Come to the usa
Pompano Helicopters
Old October 2nd 03, 06:49 AM
Trentus

"centurion_of_evil" wrote in
message link.net...
Wow, You Blokes have that kind of structure for all work fields? It seems
to put the USs "at will" employment to shame, Government mandated work
contracts, Im calling my Congressman.

Yep, but bear in mind, we don't generally have "tipping" so a waitress - for
example - is on at least $10p/h,
more with "penalty rates" for weekends, nights, holidays, etc. But doesn't
generally expect tips, which waitresses
in your country just about live on. We give tips here only for exceptional
service. Waiters, porters, taxi-drivers, etc.
All have an "award wage" which is generally a fair wage, but tips are not
equated into their earnings.

So if I do my CPL(H), unless some really rich American wants me to fly
him/her somewhere, I won't be expecting a big tip for the trip.
Bummer!!

Trentus

This part left in place for the context for those who haven't followed the

"Trentus" wrote in message
"centurion_of_evil" wrote in
message ink.net...

Old October 4th 03, 10:27 AM

"Trentus" wrote:

recent unexpected inheritance than spend it on a CPL (H)
The minimum wage was around $34,000 which is only $6 grand more than what I
made last year as a cleaner (janitor for the US readers) and rises to about
$48,456. Now bearing in mind these are $-Aus not $US, those are very poor

Have you considered a CFI license? Over here, a lot of guys get that
before going all out commercial. That way, other people are paying
you to get more hours in a helicopter. I don't know anything about
the license structure over in AU, but I assume its similar.

Yet to do a $10,000 IT degree, with guaranteed placement afterwards, would

Guaranteed placemment? I hope that this is correct, but here in the
states, an IT degree is currently one of the worst possible degrees
you can get. There are no jobs once you get it and you are considered
too old to do the work when you hit 30 years of age. Of course,
you'll never here that bit of truth from any school. This applies
advanced IT degrees as well.

I suggest that if you are looking for a carreer change that you first
look in the newspaper and find what fields are actually hiring. Where
I live, the medical field takes up the largest percentage of
employment ads. The IT field, when listed at all, takes up the
smallest.

Good luck.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old October 5th 03, 03:50 AM
Trentus

wrote in message
"Trentus" wrote:

recent unexpected inheritance than spend it on a CPL (H)
The minimum wage was around $34,000 which is only $6 grand more than

what I
made last year as a cleaner (janitor for the US readers) and rises to

about
$48,456. Now bearing in mind these are $-Aus not $US, those are very

poor

Have you considered a CFI license? Over here, a lot of guys get that
before going all out commercial. That way, other people are paying
you to get more hours in a helicopter. I don't know anything about
the license structure over in AU, but I assume its similar.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm only just beginning my enquiries into this field,
what is a CFI licence?

Regarding the IT degree, I was using that to put the costs in perspective.
The IT industry over here has also died, people once on $128 per hour, are
now back to
$35k - $40k annual. I just meant that if I wanted to use the money for a
career change there were
better places to put it. But a career change isn't my main goal, though it
would be nice.

And thanks for the advice, I greatly appreciate all the helpful input I've
recieved from this group.

Trentus

Old October 5th 03, 02:15 PM

"Trentus" wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, I'm only just beginning my enquiries into this field,
what is a CFI licence?

No problem. A CFI is a "Certified Flight Instructor". Over here,
once you have one, you can teach others learning to fly and get them
to both pay for you and the helicopter. The hours you and your
student accumulate count in your logbook toward your total hours. The
helicopter hours are the most expensive part of getting a license.

Regarding the IT degree, I was using that to put the costs in perspective.
The IT industry over here has also died, people once on $128 per hour, are
now back to $35k - $40k annual.

People over here with an IT degree are back to $0 annual or are
working at McDonalds flipping burgers. Of course, that's a whole
other story.

My personal goal with getting a helicopter license is simply to have
fun. If I can one day get a job flying, that would be wonderful, but
I'm not betting the farm on it. If you examine the evidence, you will
find that, for the most part, helicopters are not really practical
unless you own one. If you have to rent one, you have to drive to the
airport where they keep them and fly from there. If you had a fixed
wing license, you'd have to do exactly the same thing.

Old October 6th 03, 11:02 AM
ryuzu

The Flying Instruction route is a common entry point however the research I
did into this did throw up one point that's worth bearing in mind. In
Australia you can get a HCPL with 105hrs, but need 400hrs to be able to
instruct.

So you need to factor in those additional 295hrs when looking at the costs
to get to CFI.

At least that's how I understand it.

r.