Flarm Fusion not displaying WiFi or BlueTooth

Old June 6th 21, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson[_2_]

Default Flarm Fusion not displaying WiFi or BlueTooth

New Flarm Fusion.
Installed by a professional with two antennas.
Box is inside my panel.
I configured it using USB memory stick and that worked well.
Tried to connect with my Android phone and can't see the Fusion on my WiFi or BlueTooth search pages.
Why?
Old June 9th 21, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I did have this problem once or twice and a power-off/power-on cycle fixed the problem and the wifi router built into the Fusion was visible.

The Fusion has a black sticker on one side that covers the hole in the metal case through which the wifi/BT antenna transmits and receives. This slot is on the opposite side of the status LED's. It is possible, (but probably doubtful) that if you move around the plane to the other side you might see the signal.
Old June 10th 21, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson[_2_]

This has been suggested by some other people.
It would be nice if the manual for the Fusion would state in very clear terms if the antenna is that specific as to orientation.
Several people are working on this problem at the moment.

Again...for a so called "collision avoidance system" to be so prone to installation situations and to be so unclear as to how the system interacts with otherwise standardized systems is troubling at best.
Old June 10th 21, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Powerflarm fusion has good installation and operation manuals. But it is only useful when reading it. I am afraid most pilots, and even folks who install it, do not RTFM.
If you read the installation manual, as I did, it clearly indicates to install in such a way not to block the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas.

Ramy

Old June 11th 21, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson[_2_]

Ramy,
Please...be civil.
The very well known and respected soaring vendor that I purchased the Fusion from has been using a Fusion on his desktop and he cannot get the Fusion to be recognized by his Android phone. Apple phone has no problem. On his desktop there is no problem with blocked antennas. There is much more here than a blocked antenna problem. The solution is NOT to buy an Apple phone.

BTW, nice flights your have been having lately.
Old June 11th 21, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

My sarcasm was only in regards to complains about manuals. Most people don’t bother reading the manuals. We all know that.
Obviously you have another problem but I am not sure why you blame the Apple phone if it is only works with the Apple phone. FWIW my iPhone connects successfully via WiFi (after I read the manual and unblocked the hole…) and my Android communicates successfully via Bluetooth in flight. I did not try the reverse though.
Hope it will get resolved for you soon.

Ramy

Old June 11th 21, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert S

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 6:39:41 PM UTC-5, Guy Acheson wrote:
Ramy,
Please...be civil.
The very well known and respected soaring vendor that I purchased the Fusion from has been using a Fusion on his desktop and he cannot get the Fusion to be recognized by his Android phone. Apple phone has no problem. On his desktop there is no problem with blocked antennas. There is much more here than a blocked antenna problem. The solution is NOT to buy an Apple phone.

BTW, nice flights your have been having lately.

Usually, issues like this are related to using an older phone that only supports "classic" bluetooth when the device you're trying to connect to uses Bluetooth LE or Bluetooth SMART. I really don't know what Bluetooth standard the Flarm Fusion uses but I will make an educated guess and predict that the likelihood of the issue being with the phone instead of the Flarm is more likely than not. Android itself has supported Bluetooth LE & SMART since version 4.3 but the phone vendor still must have Bluetooth radio HW that supports the newer standards. I'd take a look at the Android phone and see how old it is. I personally have an Android phone that was released in Nov 2017 that doesn't work with LE or SMART (even though the phone specification says it IS compatible) so a phone doesn't have to be very old to have these issues.