Bose Headsets

Old June 16th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Bose Headsets

When I bought mine (year and a half ago) I almost sent them back. I
thought my Lightspeed 30-3g's were quieter and as comfortable. The low
profile was what made me keep and give them a fair chance. Now, if they
broke, I'd replace them with Bose for several reasons:

1. They are small for a headset.
2. The level of quietness for a 50 something person that parked too
many DC 8's and Lears with no ear protection is excellent.
3. Customer service. I took them to Bose a Sun N Fun for the higher
tension spring which keeps the volume tabs from moving so freely. They
found several problems while they were there and fixed them at no
charge. To be fair, Lightspeed did the same on my 3g's.

I don't think you will regret your purchase.

Mike

Jon Kraus wrote:
I just broke down and ordered a Bose Aviation Headset X. I have been
wanting one for several years but 1 AMU is a lot of cash for a
headset... Then I remembered how deaf I am becomming adnd thought that
this would be the best protection for my non-renewable hearing.

I already have a set of David Clarks H20 10XL's and they work great so
if the Bose work better than I'll be tickled pink.

How many of you good folks fly with the Bose or have used them and give
me a PIREP. Thanks!!

Jon Kraus

Old June 16th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I really do have some hearing impairment. Enough that I can get words
mixed up and not really know what you are saying sometimes... I
attribute the problem to loud music for years during my teenage years...
It gave me a case of tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Anyway I went and
had my hearing checked and was told that my deficiency was in the "range
of a womans voice".. I told my wife what the tester said and she thought
I was BSing her.... :-)...

Jon

LWG wrote:

Yes, around the frequencies of the human female's speech. What more proof
do you need that there is a merciful God.

" The reality is that noise-induced and age-related hearing loss most

frequently occurs in the higher frequencies. The human ear is
significantly more susceptible to noise-induced hearing loss at high
frequencies, where ANR has no effect.

Old June 16th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Somehow, I don't see Bose doing that.

Bose are pretty good on this stuff. My Aviation-X had one ear piece
stop working, so I shipped it to Bose (with credit card details) for
repair. It came back in a week with the repair done free-of-charge, and
with the cable, head pad and ear pads all replaced, and modified to the
current rev level. They even called and offered me a loaner for the
week it was away, should I need one for flying. Not bad, considering I
wasn't even the original purchaser of the headset -- it came with the
airplane, and was several years old.

Old June 16th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jon Kraus wrote:
Thanks Dan... I am hoping that I won't be disappointed... Guess if I am
then I can return them under the 30 day try for free thing... You also
gotta love the no-interest-spread-the-pain-over-a-year deal they offer
too.... Heck I **** away $82 a month on BS stuff... I'll never miss it...

So Jon...if you won't miss it, send me .082 AMUs per month for 12 months :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 16th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

No Jack... You have a 3 way partnership and I'm only in a 2 person one
(so I pay more)... So you should have way way way more money than me...

Plus I thought that everyone that lived in California was rich... Am I
mistaken? :-)

Jon

Jack Allison wrote:
Jon Kraus wrote:

Thanks Dan... I am hoping that I won't be disappointed... Guess if I
am then I can return them under the 30 day try for free thing... You
also gotta love the no-interest-spread-the-pain-over-a-year deal they
offer too.... Heck I **** away $82 a month on BS stuff... I'll never
miss it...

So Jon...if you won't miss it, send me .082 AMUs per month for 12 months
:-)

Old June 16th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jonathan,

Your statement is just ridiculous. David Clark has unmatched quality,
durability, and customer service.

Not at all. On the contrary, yours is. You're perpetrating a clever
marketing myth. Let's see:

- customer service
Google this group and even this thread, and you'll find several reports
about DC charging absurd amounts of money for repairs, and several reports
about the new manufacturers, e.g. LightSpeed, being consistently extremely
generous.

- quality I
Most manufacturers have dramatically changed the form of their headsets and
use new, innovative materials - for sound ergonomic reasons. DCs look the
same since decades. And they are called David Clamps by many users for good
reason.

- quality II
In every comparison I've seen, the ANR of DC never comes out at the top.
Not compared to Bose, not compared to LS, not to Telex nor Sennheiser. If
you have other data, I'd be interested.

- value
As for pricing, just compare a simple passive headset from LS, Sennheiser
and DC. DC is the most expensive, by a huge margin. Same goes for ANR
models. For what do you pay this increased amount?

- durability
If you think you need to abuse a 500 to 1000 $ investment, go ahead and get
a DC. If you handle any headset halfway decently, you won't have a problem.
Even LS got over their initial problems years ago.

So, if the DCs don't shine in ANR, nor in ergonomics, nor in value - where
is my statement ridiculous?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 16th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Bela,

Since I'm typing, anyone here installed the ANR retrofit kit from
Headsets Inc. into their DC headset?

I installed it in a DC clone, a Softcomm Red Baron. Works like a charm
for the price. However, if you are the least bit interested in other
new features, like music and cell phone input, shell out a bit more and
get a Lightspeed QFR XCx or one of the pilotshop-branded versions of
that, as offered by Avshop, for example.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 16th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Mike,

thought my Lightspeed 30-3g's were quieter and as comfortable. The low
profile was what made me keep and give them a fair chance.

I agree. I was quite disappointed when I compared an LS Thirty 3G
directly with the Bose at the Bose sound test station at a trade show. I
expected, well, a 400-$-wow effect. Didn't get it. They were about the
same in ANR quietness. The lower profile of the Bose is neat, no doubt.
However, the passive NR is very low.

In all, for my wallet, they're not 400 $ better than the Lightspeeds.
But each to his own.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 16th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:
Those brands you mention are not your only options - just the most
expensive. For DC, you pay ridiculous amounts for the name and get a
technologically and ergonomically old headset. For Bose you pay for the

Your statement is just ridiculous. David Clark has unmatched quality,
durability, and customer service.

If you don't mind a vice grip and cement block on top your head.

While I think Bose does a great job
and makes an excellent headset, there is no way that the Bose headsets
will handle the abuse of a DC, nor have I heard reports of Bose being as
generous with repair/replacement as DC.

I've had my Bose for four (going on five) years and have not have the
slightest glitch, not that I abuse anything I own.

Bose active headsets Matt Johnson Piloting 0 November 22nd 05 08:38 AM
Bose active headsets Rip Piloting 1 November 14th 05 12:20 AM
Bose active headsets Mark Manes Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:52 AM
Bose active headsets kontiki Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:12 AM
My Bose headsets are shocking me! Peter R. Owning 5 February 17th 04 01:16 PM