Bose Headsets

Old June 16th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Bose Headsets

B A R R Y wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:35:53 -0500, Ross Richardson
wrote:

It seems all Bose items are more expensive, not just in aviation.

FWIW...

I'm a former touring live sound engineer who still does local work.
I'm the guy that sat on the 24" riser in the GREAT seats, when you
went to see a concert at your local arena, living in a bus for months
on end. Other times, I was at the "monitor" console, another sound
board located side stage, doing individual mixes for each player. I'm
SUPER protective of my hearing. My hearing pays for my airplane.

snip
What a neat job to have. I did a little of that as a volunteer in
college. I was in electrical engineering and help with stage performances.

For those of you into "Mythbusters", Meyers Sound is the company that
appeared on the "Brown Note" and "Glass Breaking" episodes. Meyers
builds and rents incredibly loud, yet incredibly accurate sound
systems for installations in discos, musical theatres, and on many
tours where the artist is a household name. If you've heard a Meyers
PA with a great act, you'd understand just how bad Bose pro audio gear
sounds.

I saw those episodes. I really like that show. Those two guys seem to
have more fun for the work they do.

Ross
KSWI
Old June 16th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article Azjkg.31060$ZW3.22692@dukeread04,
Ray Andraka wrote:

My primary flight instructor ran over his old DC's with his car (I saw
it happen, and there didn't appear to be a single salvagable part on the
headset). When buying a replacment, he mentioned what had happened and
the clerk suggested he call DC and tell them what had happened. He
did,and they told him to send them the headset. They sent him a
replacment free of charge within a week. It isn't like the one he ran
over was a new headset either, they were about 8 years old. Somehow, I
don't see Bose doing that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bose would offer premium service, as they
sell premium products at premium prices.

They are also champions at selling hype. I have always considered Bose a
marketing company not a technology company.

Old June 16th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I'll have to borrow a pair of Bose for a long trip, someday...

Beware!

You will save a lot of money if you never do that; Mary will want them too,
remember.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 17th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bose would offer premium service, as they
sell premium products at premium prices.

They fixed my set for free when I stepped on the cable and jerked it out of
the control module.

Old June 17th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Your statement is just ridiculous. David Clark has unmatched quality,
durability, and customer service.

If you don't mind a vice grip and cement block on top your head.

My DCs aren't uncomfortable. Maybe I've been lucky in being able
to correctly fit the headset to my head.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old June 17th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Your statement is just ridiculous. David Clark has unmatched quality,
durability, and customer service.

If you don't mind a vice grip and cement block on top your head.

My DCs aren't uncomfortable. Maybe I've been lucky in being able
to correctly fit the headset to my head.

I didn't think my old Telex headset was uncomfortable, either, until I got
my current aircraft which was wired for Bose and had a set that came with it
at purchase.

Old June 17th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Dave Stadt" wrote:
They are also champions at selling hype. I have always considered Bose a
marketing company not a technology company.

I am not an audiophile, but I know that many so-called audiophiles and
"experts" hold that opinion. I will only say that Bose equipment sounds
a heck of a lot better than most (and I have heard other very high-end
audio equipment.) If it sounds better, I couldn't care less about the
engineering. That being said, I consider Bose to be a consumer products
company and not a professional products company.

JKG
Old June 17th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:
If you don't mind a vice grip and cement block on top your head.

I don't notice the vice grip,

Maybe you don't have a fat head like the rest of us :~)

No, I don't, and honestly I think it's you fat-heads that do all of the
complaining about the DC fit. :-)

I don't abuse my headsets, but the point is that the Bose is certainly
less durable and more fragile than DCs.

Can you substantiate that beyond anecdote? From what I've read in this
thread, there is no support for that contention. As a matter of fact, I
recall some comments from another thread that DC is presently rather a PITA
to deal with.

It isn't difficult, all you have to do is pick up the headset. The
headset isn't cheaply constructed but it simply won't take the
industrial-strength abuse of the DC. I suspect that most Bose owners
are very careful with their headset.

The beauty of DC is that I've never had to deal with them because I've
never had a problem with their headsets (and I have 3 of them). They've
been banged around and survived all my flight training, in and out of
rental aircraft.

JKG
Old June 17th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thomas Borchert wrote:

/snip/. But ANR is not really effective at
high frequencies while passive isn't at low frequencies. So the headset
needs a balance between the two.

Thomas,
Not necessarily true, at all. The ANR function can be tuned to any
frequency, as desired. The Telex ANR-850's that I use in the jet are
FANTASTIC at reducing high-frequency wind noise, but are totally useless
in any propeller driven aircraft.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old June 17th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Scott,

The ANR function can be tuned to any
frequency, as desired.

Within the limits of physics.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Bose active headsets Matt Johnson Piloting 0 November 22nd 05 08:38 AM
Bose active headsets Rip Piloting 1 November 14th 05 12:20 AM
Bose active headsets Mark Manes Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:52 AM
Bose active headsets kontiki Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:12 AM
My Bose headsets are shocking me! Peter R. Owning 5 February 17th 04 01:16 PM