Taurus glider for sale

Old May 4th 19, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Taurus glider for sale

On Saturday, May 4, 2019 at 1:04:28 PM UTC+10, Ramy wrote:
I find this discussion intriguing, especially when only half or so of the posters sign their names and/or their affiliation.
Note that many of us reading the posts online which hides the email address, so posts would be more credible if signed.

Ramy (no affiliation and no relation to this aircraft)

Sorry i thought it would show my details, (first time poster) Anyway I am Michael Coates the master distributor for Pipistrel USA
Old May 4th 19, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jock Proudfoot

Old May 4th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

Interesting stuff, I haven't seen the plane in quite a while. Gotta about I'm not too familiar with anything having to do with LSA, be it their pilots or their aircraft. It is pretty interesting, however, that any aircraft can be deemed totalled/unairworthy (is there a difference?), Yet can be rebuilt and flown. There's a lot of airplanes out there flying around on a data plate and not much else. Makes you wonder who is actually deeming something airworthy? How much say does a manufacturer have over a mechanic or IA's signoff? Will be interesting to follow what happens.
Old May 5th 19, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You could set up your email client to read the newsgroup.Â* I see
everyone's email.Â* At least the email that they posted from.

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 5th 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 3:08:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
In the Wings and Wheels classified ads there is listed a Taurus selflaunch glider for sale.
Originally it was N797SD, sn 107T503LSA. Currently carrying a different N number and serial number, but it is the same glider.
This Taurus was involved in a hangar fire about 4 years ago in Memphis, Tn. While the flames did not reach the glider temperatures were high enough to melt the canopy Plexiglas. That is a temperature of about 325 F.
The manufacturer, Pipistrel d.o.o of Ajdovscina, Slovenia has declared this glider un-airworthy and will provide no customer support. They are shocked that it has not been destroyed and is now considered safe for flight.
Caveat Emptor
Robert Mudd Pipistrel dealer and service center.

I suppose the chain of command in the States is;
God
FAA
Type certificate holder/builder
IA
Pilot

Of course gravity and inertia are Gods domain.
Old May 5th 19, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

There is no such thing as gravity....."the earth sucks"........LOL.......
Old May 7th 19, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 5:18:27 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
There is no such thing as gravity....."the earth sucks"........LOL.......

You are so right Charlie,
But if I ever find myself falling from a great height, it will be of no comfort that Einstein explained that I'm only taking the shortest path in curved spacetime!! LOL
Old May 18th 19, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Echo .. I have purchased 3 gliders on auction (which appeared repairable but required major work). The insurance company's did not remove the data plates or include any letters restricting repairs. which gave me the impression that the airframes were just beyond economic repair. After a a closer inspection when I started to work on them, I found that 2 of the aircraft had to much internal damage that wasn't apparent from inspection. I had to do more cutting and grinding to see how extensive the damage was, this included damage to metal components. After finishing the inspections, 2 where totally un-repairable. They were chopped up, reported to the FAA as destroyed, cut my losses and moved one. I would hope others out there would be as honest and responsible.

Old May 21st 19, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Greenhill

On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 9:29:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Again, total misinformation and fantasy, never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

The owner of the aircraft was a Pipistrel dealer, a FedEx pilot and also a pilot of the Orbis flying I hospital. He did not offer the pins for sale after the aircraft was written off, he would not want the liability.

Please, you guys need to be a little bit more responsible about this with some of the statements because they are just not true, not even close to the truth.

Again, the manufacturer declared the aircraft condemned after reviewing photographs of the aircraft in the hangar immediately after the smoke cleared.
they got into their documentation and found the information about what temperature the canopy would melt at, this was well beyond what the composite companies/resin manufacturers would allow for the products that are used in this aircraft manufacture and probably any aircrafts manufacture using composite materials.

I would be negligent of both myself and the manufacturer in looking the other way and allowing this aircraft to be sold to some excited pilot only to have the wings fall off days, weeks, months or years later.

The aircraft was condemned for a reason, you need to think, would you allow your wife or grandchildren to fly in this aircraft knowing its history ? (Divorce cases excluded) as mentioned in another email, the FAA are investigating now and I have trust in the system that they will get to the bottom of this

There is an important distinction to be made when considering the effects of temperature on composites.
The epoxy resins used in most wet layups (like those used by just about all glider manufacturers except windward perf.) are actually very sensitive to heat. The exact type of resin used by each manufacturer varies, but as a benchmark the Kaneka Aerospace (Applied Poleramic) SC-14 resin, loses around 50% of its strain energy release rate value by the time it reaches 50 degrees C. Not hot!
Please refer to the following paper from Montana State Univ. regarding the effects of temperature and humidity on composites: http://naturefilm.montana.edu/compos...i%20thesis.pdf

If this taurus were indeed exposed to high enough temperatures for long enough to distort or melt the canopy, I would definitely argue that it has significant composites damage.

If you haven't thought about this before, the reason gliders are white in color is to minimize heat while spending long periods of time in the sun. It is much easier than you probably think to damage the glider by it getting too hot. Ever seen a glider with removed racing stripes?
This is also why wise owners tend to prefer fiberglass-top trailers over metal ones in places that get very hot. As you can imagine, the inside of a metal trailer might easily exceed 50 degrees C (122 deg f) on a hot summer day.

In contrast, pre-preg composites as used by windward composites and most leading aerospace companies, are cured at high temperature in an autoclave and are thus pretty much immune to heat. This is why (when they were in production at least...) you could order a duckhawk or a sparrowhawk in whatever color you wanted. There are also some resins used in wet layups (from my understanding, schleicher has started using these in their newest gliders) that are cured under heat and are not as much affected by heat after cure.

Most of my composites experience is with pre-preg, and despite being more costly than the alternative, it is significantly easier to work with, stronger and less prone to structural changes with exposure to moisture and heat.
I don't foresee the big glider manufacturers making the switch to pre-preg any time soon due to the inherent cost in switching manufacturing methods, but I do hope they switch to it at some point.

Thomas
Old May 21st 19, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

Don't scare me now.
50ºC (122ºF) is VERY EASY to reach in Florida.
You mean to tell me all those trailers sitting out in Florida are slowly baking their gliders into oblivion?

Pipistrel Taurus: Club Glider? Phil Chidekel Soaring 3 February 29th 16 05:05 AM
Glider equipment for sale Roger Fowler[_3_] Soaring 0 August 2nd 14 06:05 PM
GLIDER 4 SALE BobD Soaring 0 March 16th 14 09:45 PM
Glider for Sale 5 ugly Soaring 1 December 8th 13 01:57 AM
Taurus Glider Ready for Flight Tests Michael Coates Soaring 5 April 5th 04 04:05 AM