Glider ground school syllabus

Old November 14th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider ground school syllabus

I'm teaching a glider ground school for the first time this winter.
Question is does anyone have a syllabus? Or recommendations for a
source from which to create a syllabus. I understand that the 'glider
flying handbook' (FAA-H-8083-13) is the official authority, perhaps not
the best one. What other books should I consider for a primary text.
Thanks,
Gregg

Old November 15th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

wrote in message
ups.com...
I understand that the 'glider
flying handbook' (FAA-H-8083-13) is the official authority, perhaps not
the best one. What other books should I consider for a primary text.

For a primary text, I would look hard at what either Wander or Knauf are
offering. To that you will add (at minimum) the ASA or Gleim private pilot test
guide, the FAR/AIM, and your local sectional. Go through the test guide and
your primary text in parallel so that all of the questions are covered by the
end of the course. Give a mock exam at the end of the course do not sign them
off until they get 80%. There are some free test prep sites on the web, find
them and aquaint your students with them.

Vaughn

Old November 16th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

I recomend the new flight training and knowledge books by Russel
Holtz. These are the best training manuals I've seen.

You can use the knowledge book by itself for ground training. Samples
of the book are available online see http://www.gliderbooks.com. Also
available from Cumulus Soaring and maybe other places.

Cheers

Darryl

Old November 16th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Consider complimenting your syllabus with the Accident Prevention Manual for
Glider Pilots from Knauff and Grove. Don't solo a student without it!

http://www.eglider.org/index.php?act...d&productId=21

ups.com...

Old November 16th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

Having just written the exam I concur that following the contents of
the ASA test prep is what you should build your course around.

Things are nicely categorized by chapters and topics are neatly laid
out.

I simply studied that book and wrote the online tests till I was
getting 90% scores and then wrote the written......got a 95%.

A follow on course for cross country would be the place to learn all
the strategies and planning for cross country flying......that first
one is mainly to pass the test and get licensed.

Ray

Vaughn Simon wrote:
ups.com...

Old November 17th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"jb92563" wrote in message
oups.com...

I simply studied that book and wrote the online tests till I was
getting 90% scores and then wrote the written......got a 95%.

I have taken five different FAA written exams over the years, and the above
has been my strategy every time. I have always sat down to a test knowing
within 5% what my final score was going to be.

Vaughn

Old November 17th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Vaughn Simon wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I understand that the 'glider
flying handbook' (FAA-H-8083-13) is the official authority, perhaps not
the best one. What other books should I consider for a primary text.

For a primary text, I would look hard at what either Wander or Knauf are
offering. To that you will add (at minimum) the ASA or Gleim private pilot test
guide, the FAR/AIM, and your local sectional. Go through the test guide and
your primary text in parallel so that all of the questions are covered by the
end of the course. Give a mock exam at the end of the course do not sign them
off until they get 80%. There are some free test prep sites on the web, find
them and aquaint your students with them.

Vaughn

It depends on what you are trying to teach. If you are teaching in
preparation to pass the Private Pilot written, then the above is fine.

If you are teaching the course to improve the quality of the skills and
safety in your club or organization, then I would certainly do the
above but I would also look at topics such as:

- In depth discussion of PT3 (covered by Knauff but requiring more
"what if" illustrations and scenarios specific to your operation)
- In depth discussion of landing scenarios specific to your operation
- Significant focus on discipline and thought process, including
Judgement Training (from Knauff)
- A little more detail on the "flight envelope", specifically with
regard to limiting speeds and weight and balance.
- etc.

I just conducted a prep-session for a student pilot who was thinking he
was about ready to take the Private Pilot glider flight test. He had
scored a 98 on the written not too long ago. I simply follow the PTS
and ask the questions as would the Examiner. It's amazing how little
"real" understanding it takes to ace the test. Most students can
answer the factual question, but even a remote probe under the surface
usually turns up a complete lack of understanding of the underlying
principles which is what really matters in the long run IMO.

P3

Old November 17th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Papa3" wrote in message
ps.com...

Vaughn Simon wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I think the above is an unfair interpretation of what I wrote.

I would expect the "primary text" that I mentioned, along with the general
knowledge of the instructor, to cover the above subjects and more. It is also
important to teach the course in a manner that results in your students being
able to pass the FAA written test and eventual oral. If the goal was just
passing the test, you could dispense with the primary text and 50% of the class
time like those weekend ground schools do.

Vaughn

Old November 17th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks All. Half the class are certified power pilots and the other
half are primary glider students, so I haven't quite decided how much
of the written test to cover. I've always been inclined towards the
method of learning the material for what you need in your flying and to
pass the practical, and just studying the questions to get the written
done. I'm considering using the new Rusell Holtz books, if not those
then I'll probably use Knauff.
Thanks again
Gregg