Another body in a wheel well.....

Old December 31st 03, 03:09 PM
John Gaquin

Default Another body in a wheel well.....

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A man was found dead Tuesday night in the wheel well of a
British Airways plane at new York's John F. Kennedy International Airport,
authorities said.

It is the second body found in the wheel well of a plane at the airport in
less than a week......

The body was discovered while the aircraft's first officer was conducting a
routine examination after the plane's arrival from London's Heathrow
Airport. ........

"The plane was in Lagos, Nigeria, on Christmas Eve, and we believe the man
climbed into the wheel well while it was in Nigeria," he said.

If accurate, this craft went from the 24th to the 30th without anyone
inspecting the wheel well closely enough to see a dead body. Reassuring.

JG

Old December 31st 03, 03:33 PM
ShawnD2112

Reassuring when you know what's in the wheel well to be inspected and what's
in a safe and complete walkaround. How often do you take the seats out of
your aircraft and check the inside of the tailcone?

The body was found in a place which is not readily visible from the ground
and only because it had somehow been repositioned as to be partially
visible. There is nothing in that area that requires a routine inspection
on regular service. And, except for a person able to climb in, there's
nothing that would get into that area that could cause a problem.

Unfortunate in the extreme but don't look for someone to blame. Stowaways
happen once in a while...

Shawn

Old December 31st 03, 03:47 PM
Jim Fisher

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message

There is nothing in that area that requires a routine inspection
on regular service.

I reckon that's gonna change soon.

PREFLIGHT CHECLKIST
Emergency Equipment.......................CHECKED
Fire Protection ..................................ON
Interrupt Switches..............................NORMAL
Passenger Oxygen .............................OFF
Dead Body in Wheel Well ..................CHECKED
. . .

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 31st 03, 04:04 PM
John Gaquin

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message news:G%

How often do you take the seats out of
your aircraft and check the inside of the tailcone?

Well, I never owned an airplane to take the seats out of. But in the years
I flew 747s I looked up into a lot of wheel wells.

Regards,

John Gaquin
B727, B747

Old December 31st 03, 04:20 PM
Michael 182

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
"ShawnD2112" wrote in message

There is nothing in that area that requires a routine inspection
on regular service.

I reckon that's gonna change soon.

PREFLIGHT CHECLKIST
Emergency Equipment.......................CHECKED
Fire Protection ..................................ON
Interrupt Switches..............................NORMAL
Passenger Oxygen .............................OFF
Dead Body in Wheel Well ..................CHECKED

I think they are alive until the climb to altitude, so that should probably
be:

Soon to be Dead Body in Wheel Well ..................CHECKED

Has anyone ever survived this sort of stowaway?

Michael

. . .

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 31st 03, 05:29 PM
Al

I recall a frosty survivor on a flight from South America to New York. I
think they sent him back in a seat.

--
remove underscores to email

Old December 31st 03, 07:12 PM
John Galban

"John Gaquin" wrote in message ...
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A man was found dead Tuesday night in the wheel well of a
British Airways plane at new York's John F. Kennedy International Airport,
authorities said.

snip

These guys are nuts!. 2 or 3 weeks ago there was a Discovery or
TLC program that highlighted the case of a Cuban defector that hid in
a passenger jet wheelwell. He flew from Cuba to Canada and survived.
The cruise portion of the flight was at 30K ft. or better. The point
of the show was to figure out how the man survived the hours at 30K
ft. They couldn't do it.

Maybe this new wave of wheelwell hoppers also watch cable? While
not very encouraging, the show did illustrate that the feat could be
performed successfully.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old December 31st 03, 09:30 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Michael 182 wrote:

Has anyone ever survived this sort of stowaway?

I have read of some who survived. Some with brain damage and others with frostbite.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 1st 04, 03:00 AM
Brian Burger

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, John Galban wrote:

"John Gaquin" wrote in message ...
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A man was found dead Tuesday night in the wheel well of a
British Airways plane at new York's John F. Kennedy International Airport,
authorities said.

snip

These guys are nuts!. 2 or 3 weeks ago there was a Discovery or
TLC program that highlighted the case of a Cuban defector that hid in
a passenger jet wheelwell. He flew from Cuba to Canada and survived.
The cruise portion of the flight was at 30K ft. or better. The point
of the show was to figure out how the man survived the hours at 30K
ft. They couldn't do it.

I dimly recall something about there being heaters & an oxygen feed into
the wheelwell itself, to keep the hydraulics & such from freezing up at
altitude, and this stowaway curled himself around the heater and got a
trickle of air from the feed.

Google News might be able to tell you more...

Brian
Old January 1st 04, 09:27 AM
pacplyer

"John Gaquin" wrote in message ...
"ShawnD2112" wrote in message news:G%

How often do you take the seats out of
your aircraft and check the inside of the tailcone?

Well, I never owned an airplane to take the seats out of. But in the years
I flew 747s I looked up into a lot of wheel wells.

Regards,

John Gaquin
B727, B747

Preflighting wheelwells is a job the second officer accomplishes. The
second officer is a non-flying crewmember. I think John wants people
to believe that he flew these 747's, but I submit this year he should
resolve to be honest and admit that he never held a flying seat on the
747. I'm pointing this out because John's previous posts made it
clear he is not very familliar with taxi procedures of 747 100's or
200's. In his prior posts he claimed to shut-down two inboard engines
at taxi out at 800,000 pounds, which is improper and is a very dubious
claim since this could likely stall him in any ninety degree turn at
that weight. Not even climb thrust on the outboards will get you out
of this once the 747 gets stuck in the turn. You have just screwed up
departure for all the flights behind you, as now you must go through a
five minute start checklist and spoolup for the remaining engines.
Not to mention the extreme infield errosion that this stunt would
cause. Now I know your proud of being on the airplane John, just as I
was. Am I wrong? Were you a F/O or Capt?

pacplyer

DA20, Bae-146, B-747, B727, A310, DC10