Delorme InReach reporting elevation or altitude ??

Old February 28th 13, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Delorme InReach reporting elevation or altitude ??

Has anyone of the early adopters actually flown with the new DeLorme InReach ?
I had a contact with their tech support a while back, who mentioned that they report elevation, not altitude.
Also their tracking pages mention elevation.

I found tracks of Paul/Frank and Sean, but they look like they were just ground test runs.

Any evidence it actually reports altitude ? Any airborne tracks ?
Old March 1st 13, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

It's elevation above sea level. MSL. Will have an airborne track next week and will post here. Avialable thru SSA tracker page under F2.
Old March 3rd 13, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Friday, March 1, 2013 12:22:02 PM UTC-8, Sean F (F2) wrote:
It's elevation above sea level. MSL. Will have an airborne track next week and will post here. Avialable thru SSA tracker page under F2.

I've been using my InReach since last August, mostly in the Husky and at the old 10 minute interval (since switched to aviation plan at 2 minute interval). Each tracking point has lat/lon, heading, speed, and elevation (which is GPS derived altitude MSL).

Old March 3rd 13, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:13:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Has anyone of the early adopters actually flown with the new DeLorme InReach ?

I had a contact with their tech support a while back, who mentioned that they report elevation, not altitude.

Also their tracking pages mention elevation.

I found tracks of Paul/Frank and Sean, but they look like they were just ground test runs.

Any evidence it actually reports altitude ? Any airborne tracks ?

Yes, the Delorme InReach reports MSL altitude (GPS derived), speed, and heading on a selectable interval (Paul set my loaner up for 1 minute intervals). Click on each dot on Friday's track (https://share.delorme.com/PaulRemde) and you can see the data.

Frank (TA)
Old March 3rd 13, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

I will be in the air for 2-3 hours around Detroit doing formation flying. Follow the flight as an example he https://share.delorme.com/SeanFidler
Old March 3rd 13, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is there an IPhone app or a mobile page for viewing?
You view the map from the link now and zoom in and out but that's about it.

Randy
Old March 3rd 13, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Flight was cancelled due to mechanical.

No mobile site. Much more function on normal browser. Obviously fairly graphics intensive.

Yes a mobile app but for using with unit.

They are working on a mobile version of the map but are reluctant because they have to water down the functionality so heavily.

If you have a modern android phone or iPhone 5 the map works well.

Good News on Delorme InReach (2 min tracking and altitude vs. Spot w/10 min tracking and no altitude) Sean F (F2) Soaring 34 February 24th 13 12:46 AM
DeLorme inReach Paul Remde Soaring 8 February 12th 13 07:26 PM
Any user reports on Delorme Inreach? Steve Koerner Soaring 8 March 16th 12 06:51 PM
More on Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 12 October 8th 11 05:50 AM
Question: Elevation --- RWY john89 Piloting 21 August 15th 09 08:34 PM